Adblocker Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

First Half V Second Half Performance

CW 90+3 02/05/16

First half - Split them open several times getting in behind causing havoc. They simply couldn't handle us. McGowan, Holt, Harkins and Hemmings take any of they chances and it's almost game over at half time. We're knocking it around well. Pressing them high up the pitch, chasing them down and giving them a torrid time. Several players on form. Looking very comfortable and threatening for the most part. Hearts get in twice with good chances but we totally boss the half as Neilson and Hartley both say in their post match interviews.

I'm sitting there at half time feeling entertained and looking forward to rolling into Tannadice on Tuesday top of the league as I think it's inevitable that we'll go on to score more.

Second half - See first half except the complete opposite. Stuck in our own half for large periods. Struggling to get near the final third. Hearts strolling it, albeit with the aid of cheating and time wasting. Thomson knackered. Attacking threat non existent. Hearts could have ended up 3 or 4-1 winners.

What happened?

Did Hartley tell the players to sit in and protect the lead but it backfired?

Did Hearts simply play higher up the pitch and much better?

A combination of both the above?

Think if we put in the first half performance in the second half and the second half one in the first half, I would have walked away from Dens feeling positive but instead I walked away feeling gutted and depressed. Another exciting false dawn occasion as was discussed on here the other week in front of a big expectant home support.

Dreading the derby being honest with our record there, our second half performance yesterday and their result yesterday. On paper we should be doing them but we all know that they get every bit of luck going in this fixture.

I guess following this football club was never predictable or straightforward.

Praying for a Rugby Park performance or first half yesterday performance on Tuesday.

DDYB

Adblocker Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

A perfect performance last week he said, why make changes then. Fair enough Loy was a huge miss for us, we should have been out of sight by 20 mins and overall Hemmings isn't good enough for me. Why all those guys sitting stripped in the dug=out, it was obvious early in the second half we needed changes, why no changes ?

I am certain Hemmings will come good .... he knows what it is all about .... and he will definitely be among the goals this season !!

Stewart, Hemmings, Loy,  Harkins, etc. etc. etc. PH will have this team rockin' as the season get really underway. Have Faith :)

I can't believe Hemmings is getting stick, he received so little service after the break he was forced out wide to look for the ball.

Hartley should have insisted he played off the shoulder of the Hearts centre half and had Stewart support him.

That's a bad stutter you have there Spirit...sorry.

Agree completely. Lemmings seems to be taking a lot of stick in some threads. Maybe it's based on him missing a few sitters in the first half against Killie, but yesterday, I can't see what folks expected from him. He had one chance and scored it. Was given no service 2nd half and had to drop deep and wide for the ball, which isn't his game.

If the midfield goes and hides, then how can a lone frontman be to blame?

He didn't have no options with the players on the bench as he could have used them to depeploy the folk on the pitch.

He could have brought ferry on and moved harkins forward into a front 3.

He could have brought roberts on and moved stewart or harkins to the left and gone 4-4-2.

Paul Mcgowan used to be a striker. Not a good one but he knows what to do up there.

With 10 minutes and no change he could even have thrown one of his 2 big centre halfs up front and brought konrad on. It may not be pretty but needs must at times.

He may also have brought an extra midfielder on and tried to regain the middle of the park we had lost to gomis.

There wasn't a lack of options more a lack of imagination or a stubbornness to change plan A.

He didn't have no options with the players on the bench as he could have used them to depeploy the folk on the pitch.

He could have brought ferry on and moved harkins forward into a front 3.

He could have brought roberts on and moved stewart or harkins to the left and gone 4-4-2.

Paul Mcgowan used to be a striker. Not a good one but he knows what to do up there.

With 10 minutes and no change he could even have thrown one of his 2 big centre halfs up front and brought konrad on. It may not be pretty but needs must at times.

He may also have brought an extra midfielder on and tried to regain the middle of the park we had lost to gomis.

There wasn't a lack of options more a lack of imagination or a stubbornness to change plan A.

He did fire McPake up right at the end and dropped McGowan in CB, but we never got the ball up there.

I thought we were brilliant first half, the most entertaining half by a Dundee team in years, so that's a massive positive.

Second half was all about Hearts. They turned the game around and showed they'll be a real force this season. Hartley couldn't respond (largely because of a lack of options) and we lost.

I'm not devastated by the result because I didn't get too carried away last week. I had a feeling we were still vulnerable at the back.

We go into the derby with a more realistic view of our team. It's a tough game but very winnable.

I just need to think back to how bad we were in season 2012/13 to appreciate how good we've got it now.

Adblocker Detected