Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Are We Too 'nice'...?

JoeCovenant

Lot's of comments made about how we were 'bullied' yesterday.

But seems to be this was leveled at us last season , and also many other seasons in between.

And then there's the *cheating* side of the game we saw yesterday, which sadly, isn't viewed as cheating but instead is viewed as "gamesmanship".

The sad fact is, that more and more the kind of behaviours that (I would imagine) most of us view as being 'off' seems to have started to be accepted as "just part of the game". When you begin to hear pundits and commentators saying things like last man take-downs and 'simulation' being something that the 'modern game' has to put up with - then is part of our problem that we try to win games by 'playing football'?

We rarely dive, we rarely go for blatant time-wasting, we don't fake gunshot-like injuries, we're not normally shirt pullers or even opposition huggers...

When opposition presses into our half invariably we don't get in their faces - generally speaking we simply crouch low and back pedal. Instead of standing tall, getting a foot in and forcing them to try and beat us.

Are we too nice to be *big* winners?

CAN we make it as big as we would like playing the way we do? Or do we need more players with killer instincts?

(NB - I am not saying we should *do* these things, but time and time again we see ourselves subjected to them, with nothing but negative outcomes for us.)

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

We try to play too nice.

Id prefer 2 strong bullys in centre mid.

Id like pace on each wing with 2 strikers who compliment each other ............ i think thats what generally fitbaw teams want.

Sometimes get the feeling PH trys to be too clever.

2nd half yesterday was surely the slap in the pu$$ PH needs to see that we havent got a plan B
Its nice to play possesion passing fitbaw but some teams wont allow it n thats when i think we need another plan

Lot's of comments made about how we were 'bullied' yesterday.

But seems to be this was leveled at us last season , and also many other seasons in between.

And then there's the *cheating* side of the game we saw yesterday, which sadly, isn't viewed as cheating but instead is viewed as "gamesmanship".

The sad fact is, that more and more the kind of behaviours that (I would imagine) most of us view as being 'off' seems to have started to be accepted as "just part of the game". When you begin to hear pundits and commentators saying things like last man take-downs and 'simulation' being something that the 'modern game' has to put up with - then is part of our problem that we try to win games by 'playing football'?

We rarely dive, we rarely go for blatant time-wasting, we don't fake gunshot-like injuries, we're not normally shirt pullers or even opposition huggers...

When opposition presses into our half invariably we don't get in their faces - generally speaking we simply crouch low and back pedal. Instead of standing tall, getting a foot in and forcing them to try and beat us.

Are we too nice to be *big* winners?

CAN we make it as big as we would like playing the way we do? Or do we need more players with killer instincts?

(NB - I am not saying we should *do* these things, but time and time again we see ourselves subjected to them, with nothing but negative outcomes for us.)

Agree with your whole post other than the diving part.

Stewart dives. Riley dived.

Other than that, we were easily the most un-streetwise team in the league last season and no doubt will be again this season.

Agree with your whole post other than the diving part.

Stewart dives. Riley dived.

Other than that, we were easily the most un-streetwise team in the league last season and no doubt will be again this season.

Stewart dived once and paid a price for it. The difference is united and Hearts use it as a tactic to get set pieces in dangerous areas and penalties. And they get away with it. Connolly for instance in the 3 1 derby at Dens was an absolute disgrace.

I think we are too nice. While I like to see the game played properly if you have the dabs e.g. using dirty tactics we need to play them at their own game.

I don't think Stewart is a cheat. When you're a flair player in the modern game you have to claim fouls when you feel contact.

To comment directly to your question Joe, my gut feeling says .... Aye we probably are.

But the decent side o' me says, I widnae like to descend into some of the antics, that other teams/players, seem to engage in.

I think tho' I must hae lots o' mixed feeling about this as weel. When I see some of our players being continually upended by some

opposition teams, I really do wish we had a couple o' hardman type bruisers, to soart them oot !! However the variable standards of

some of our refs, is bound to mean, we are the ones who get punished and sent aff !!    (Cannae afford a man sent aff on Tuesday)

Certainly don't like the idea we are seen as an easy mark for some other teams who adopt a harder "right in your face" approach.

We are definitely too 'nice'..

We need to be far more ruthless and cynical at times.

I'd stop short before heaping any praise on Hearts for their antics yesterday but they certainly did a job on us in the second half.

More worrying for me is the apparent lack of a plan B that allows us to adapt to a change in opposition tactics.

Hearts identified our strengths in the first half, thanked their lucky stars that they weren't three goals down at half time, changed their shape, made their changes and ground out a win from nowhere.

I just can't see us currently being able to do that in the manner they did yesterday.

They'll come unstuck soon enough.. Their particular brand of "hoof it" anti football will be just as easy to identify and nullify for good footballing teams as the season goes on.

I'd go as far as to say - If we can improve our injury situation long term and work on a way to close out games, we'll finish above them this season.

Edited by Boba Fett

We are definitely too 'nice'..

We need to be far more ruthless and cynical at times.

I'd stop short before heaping any praise on Hearts for their antics yesterday but they certainly did a job on us in the second half.

More worrying for me is the apparent lack of a plan B that allows us to adapt to a change in opposition tactics.

Hearts identified our strengths in the first half, thanked their lucky stars that they weren't three goals down at half time, changed their shape, made their changes and ground out a win from nowhere.

I just can't see us currently being able to do that in the manner they did yesterday.

They'll come unstuck soon enough.. Their particular brand of "hoof it" anti football will be just as easy to identify and nullify for good footballing teams as the season goes on.

I'd go as far as to say - If we can improve our injury situation long term and work on a way to close out games, we'll finish above them this season.

Boba, you've got the whole point summed up with the comment about good footballing teams being able to identify the Hearts style and nullify it. We are a good footballing side but I don't see any sign that we have a clue what to do when faced with the style of play adopted by Hearts in the second half. Do we need a winger who can run after balls played in behind an opposition defence that has pressed up the pitch? What other way of playing is there to nullify the "hearts" style?

Adblock Detected