The Dark Blues
Sign in to follow this  
Cobra

Jim Duffy

Rate this topic

Good to see JD managing Morton in the Championship. Gave us two finals and did better than Bonetti with Bonetti's players. Unfairly blamed for post-admin relegation. He deserves to be working at a decent level. I think he has a lot to offer. I'm hoping him and Peaso have a good season and can push for the play-offs.

Good to see JD managing Morton in the Championship. Gave us two finals and did better than Bonetti with Bonetti's players. Unfairly blamed for post-admin relegation. He deserves to be working at a decent level. I think he has a lot to offer. I'm hoping him and Peaso have a good season and can push for the play-offs.

Don't think he was unfairly blamed for the relegation tbh. We had an almighty ar** collapse that season and should've had more than enough to stay up.

Good to see JD managing Morton in the Championship. Gave us two finals and did better than Bonetti with Bonetti's players. Unfairly blamed for post-admin relegation. He deserves to be working at a decent level. I think he has a lot to offer. I'm hoping him and Peaso have a good season and can push for the play-offs.

A lot of fans love to hate JD. Whatever team he is at the fans seen to just hate him.

I've no shame in admitting he's a bit of a hero of mine.

Gave us our best season in 40 years (2002/03).  9 derbies without a loss fun run. A Scottish cup final. UEFA Cup knock out stage qualification. A top 6 finish with entertaining football. Kept us up comfortably after admin

Add to the above the old story that he paid some bills in the dark old days in the mid 90s to prevent the doors being shut at Dens and is a gentleman in person also.

Edited by Perth Road Dee
  • Like 3

I loved JD as well. As a player he was awesome, and he gave me my first final as well. Wish him well wherever he is, unless it's playing against the dee of course. :)

• Like 2

Don't think he was unfairly blamed for the relegation tbh. We had an almighty ar** collapse that season and should've had more than enough to stay up.

Admin forced us to offload our best players and before the 04/05 season started we were red-hot favourites to go down. I remember the Record hailed Duffy as a miracle worker for keeping us clear of relegation during the season.

It's widely accepted that we suffered an almighty ar** collapse but I don't think that's true. We won eight games in the season... 1 in August, 0 in September, 1 in October, 1 in November, 1 in December, 1 in January, 1 in February, 0 in March, 2 in April and 0 in May.

Because we scraped two home wins in April we thought we were safe but unfortunately we didn't win again. The thing is our results at the very end of the season were nothing unusual. It was the fourth time we had gone five games without a win.

Obviously the manager has to take some responsibility but we had the weakest squad in the league and yet finished within three points of three other teams. United only collected three more points than us and they had Dodds, Crawford, Scotland, Grady, McIntyre and Samuel up front so must have had a far bigger budget.

Given that we collapsed to seventh place in the First Division (the worst season in our history) after Duffy left, I'd say JD made a decent fist of keeping us up in 04/05. To come within a whisker of avoiding relegation with that squad was a decent effort. 
  • Like 2

I liked Jim Duffy from the minute I first saw him play at Dens for Morton, actually said to my mates that I'd love a player of that class to play for us.

Then when he left Dens for Hibs (by helicopter conveniently) his Jetta got brought back to Lex Volkswagen where I was working at the time as a technician. I scraped together over £12 in coins lying in various pockets and compartments - ace.

• Like 1

I liked Jim Duffy from the minute I first saw him play at Dens for Morton, actually said to my mates that I'd love a player of that class to play for us.

Then when he left Dens for Hibs (by helicopter conveniently) his Jetta got brought back to Lex Volkswagen where I was working at the time as a technician. I scraped together over £12 in coins lying in various pockets and compartments - ace.

That's about £1500 in today's money no?

That's about £1500 in today's money no?

Ald money. 😂

Kia ora

As far as I am concerned he was a legend as a player. I absolutely believe had he not crocked himself that we were heading  for greatness. I remember the midweek Skol cup win like it was yesterday(The night sky was rent asunder) I had never seen Dens so full, even that bit under the floodlights between the Derry and Provie road was chocca, the noise when the second went in, in extra time was phenomenal. Was meant to be working night shift that night, guess who was a no show.

Come Friday night,was getting full of the drink in Chambers ( Bottom of castle Street, used to have a great resident band, Quicksilver) When me and the mates decided F##K it lets go to Ibrox and cheer on the boys. So hangovers well earned off we go on Saturday. Unfortunately that's the game Jims career ended, never fealt so deflated in my life. I know he had a comeback but he was never the same again.

Anyway I will always remember him for the LEGEND of a player that he was for us rather than his mixed managerial efforts.

So for that reason alone I wish him all the very best at Morton and beyond.

• Like 2

Kia ora

As far as I am concerned he was a legend as a player. I absolutely believe had he not crocked himself that we were heading  for greatness. I remember the midweek Skol cup win like it was yesterday(The night sky was rent asunder) I had never seen Dens so full, even that bit under the floodlights between the Derry and Provie road was chocca, the noise when the second went in, in extra time was phenomenal. Was meant to be working night shift that night, guess who was a no show.

Come Friday night,was getting full of the drink in Chambers ( Bottom of castle Street, used to have a great resident band, Quicksilver) When me and the mates decided F##K it lets go to Ibrox and cheer on the boys. So hangovers well earned off we go on Saturday. Unfortunately that's the game Jims career ended, never fealt so deflated in my life. I know he had a comeback but he was never the same again.

Anyway I will always remember him for the LEGEND of a player that he was for us rather than his mixed managerial efforts.

So for that reason alone I wish him all the very best at Morton and beyond.

I got sacked for attending that game and missing work.Well worth it though. :)

I got sacked for attending that game and missing work.Well worth it though. :)

Kia ora

I was lucky the bosses son was getting drunk in the barrels after the game as well. he put in a good word for me  :lol2: