The Dark Blues
Sign in to follow this  
Gedee

Would You Use (Part) Transfer Fee to Buy Back Dens ?

Rate this topic

We have had the "Buy Back Dens" issue raised many times on here before .... and each of us have had our own valid views on this. (I think I have even changed my own mind a few times on this subject)........and I think my last view, was, if there was any spare money , then use it to build up our playing squad.

But again if my memory serves me well. I think the topic never really got anywhere, because it was felt a special cash raising fund was the only way to go about this .... and on that basis, the thought o' a "buy back" kinda faded away.

However, in this talk of a possible interest by Everton, in our super-duper-keeper Scott, it was raised by another poster (sorry cannae mind who) that if we were to pick up a fair, reasonable, decent, fee for him ..... part of this could be used to buy back Dens ?

Now I think I am liking that idea !!......... No the idea of selling ANY of our best players at this time.

But the idea of, if we do sell any of our players in the future for a substantial fee, a part of this should be considered to be put aside to buy back (and own again) Dens Park Stadium.   

I think (and emphasing a BIG FEE ) I think that would be money well spent .... that might in other ways be simply "squandered"

Any thoughts on this DFC lads and lasses ?

Working on the assumption that we did get a big fee in, there a numerous other factors to consider that could prevent it from becoming a reality in a timely manner Gedee..

Three of the top of my head:

1. There doesn't seem to be an appetite by th BoD to buy back Dens (unless their is a game changing update since it fell off the radar in the Spring time)

2. Accessibility to the funds - transfer fees are very often paid in installments over the course of time. It may not be the case where we would have the money available all at once. This of course be negated but would represent a risk.

3. Re-investment into the playing squad to fill the void left by the leaver.. Has to be a consideration and would likely need to be significant (in our terms) if it was to plug a gap left by a player going for big ££££

The ground should be held by a fans trust IMO.

Like the Chelsea Pitch Owners do rather than the club.

That said, the club owning it is far preferable to someone not involved with us at all as it is just now.

Either way, i'm sure the club haven't bought it back yet, because they haven't 100% decided if we are staying there.

Working on the assumption that we did get a big fee in, there a numerous other factors to consider

The main one is that almost always the fee is not paid in full upfront.

If we sold a player for £2M for example, we may actually invoice the purchasing club £500K four times over the course of 18 months.

This happens for all clubs at all levels. Crazy but true.

Edited by Abdul Latif

Working on the assumption that we did get a big fee in, there a numerous other factors to consider that could prevent it from becoming a reality in a timely manner Gedee..

Three of the top of my head:

1. There doesn't seem to be an appetite by th BoD to buy back Dens (unless their is a game changing update since it fell off the radar in the Spring time)

2. Accessibility to the funds - transfer fees are very often paid in installments over the course of time. It may not be the case where we would have the money available all at once. This of course be negated but would represent a risk.

3. Re-investment into the playing squad to fill the void left by the leaver.. Has to be a consideration and would likely need to be significant (in our terms) if it was to plug a gap left by a player going for big ££££

Bobba on these matters I never know the technicalities ..... so work mainly on my gut feeling.

And on that basis, my feeling is, the tide is turning for Dundee FC. And although it may turn out to be slow and steady, we are moving steadily.

Trying to find money in an empty pot for the sole purpose of buying back Dens at this time, is (imo) not a good idea. Priority is building a team.

However in the process of doing so, and if sensible offers do come along ..and accepted... I would see this as an opportunity to buy Dens back.

I agree with your first point. At least at this time, as things stand at the moment, there appears to be no appeitite by the BOD to buy back Dens.

The second point, Is it not the case John Bennet seems to be the kind of person friendly towards us. Maybe some thing could be worked out ?

On the third point, and this is where PH becomes the Key Figure (as per my other topic)  If we can hold on to PH (this is the real priority) and he

continues to unearth the talent from the lower divisions, not only will there be back-up in place. But a continuing line of special developing players.

None of us can know what the future really holds for our our Club. Or what the future is for PH (within or outwith DFC) but it certainly looks at this

stage, as he continues to learn/improve, his managerial role in the Premiership, he could go on to be a DFC moneymaker as well as a team builder.

I would prefer our own training facilities that would attract better players and help develop better players, good quality pitches, proper indoor facility with gym and full size indoor pitch for the winter months. I would say only 4 teams can offer this in Scottish football, (Gers, Tic, Hearts, Hibs) maybe wrong though.

It's amazing that Dundee FC have been in existence for 122 years and still do not own there own training facilities or ground.

Chelsea Pitch Owners also own the Chelsea football club name and they have to deal with an owner who could write out a cheque for whatever he wanted to do. It looks like "fan ownership" of the ground may need some legal safeguards or the whole object of the exercise could be defeated if DFC board decided to move to better/bigger facilities.

would rather see Big G's ideas being considered.

I would prefer our own training facilities that would attract better players and help develop better players, good quality pitches, proper indoor facility with gym and full size indoor pitch for the winter months. I would say only 4 teams can offer this in Scottish football, (Gers, Tic, Hearts, Hibs) maybe wrong though.

It's amazing that Dundee FC have been in existence for 122 years and still do not own there own training facilities or ground.

To be fair, only in the last 20 years or so has even having training facilities been a thing rather than just a section of the park marked off.

It's just unfortunate in that 20 years we have been horribly run.

To be fair, only in the last 20 years or so has even having training facilities been a thing rather than just a section of the park marked off.

It's just unfortunate in that 20 years we have been horribly run.

not so sure about that, Celtic and Rangers have always owned there own training grounds and offices in Glasgow, Granted they have not been as state of the art as they are now but still owned them.

not so sure about that, Celtic and Rangers have always owned there own training grounds and offices in Glasgow, Granted they have not been as state of the art as they are now but still owned them.

Aye good point. Think Drummoig would still be brilliant for us to have a base as was mentioned years ago.

• Like 1

I said yes to buying back the stadium but what you've posted would be of great benefit to the club. Would help attract players from a young age as well.