Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Playing Football.

Ludo*1

Clearly not the way forward in Scotland.

Teams rely on strength and cynical-ness. We are a good footballing side but any team that gets dirty with us dominates us.

I'd much prefer us to be a footballing side that wins 50% of their games than a haddy side that wins 100% of their games but right now, even sides that play at a lower level can dominate us if they apply a bit of cynical pressure.

It's a sad fact of Scottish football. I appreciate the way Hartley is wanting to get us playing but it's never gonna work if we are such a soft touch. If we are to continue to be a soft touch, we are gonna have to be at least 2-3x a better team than the opposition.

Hartley is a good manager, a very good manager but he's giving himself a lot of hard work when we come up against hammer thrower style teams which based on this season so far - seems to be the majority. Today, we should have easily outplayed Caley but we got dragged into a shitfest.

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Think the key is finding a balance. Get 1 or 2 boys that can take care of themselves and will get stuck in when the going gets tough. Problem is we don't have any at all. 

No wonder Scottish football is knackered though. Don't blame the DAB Gauld for going to Portugal when you stuff like Inverness produced today. Is it any wonder we have so few technically gifted players in our national teams? Any young lads with a bit of skill and technical ability will struggle to make it in this country aslong as we have dinosaurs like John Hughes in our game - a manager who ironically enough loves to preach about "passing football" - aye right!

I'd much prefer us to be a footballing side that wins 50% of their games than a haddy side that wins 100% of their games but right now, even sides that play at a lower level can dominate us if they apply a bit of cynical pressure.

100% wins would mean we would be Champions. But you would prefer we played football and win 50%. You are at it.

100% wins would mean we would be Champions. But you would prefer we played football and win 50%. You are at it.

In what way am I at it?!

Think my point was fairly clear. I'd much rather us play good football than be a team that punts the ball 9 times out of 10 and hopes/expects 3 points. I'd much rather we tried to play the proper way and failed. I don't see that as even a question to be honest.

Teams rely on strength and cynical-ness. We are a good footballing side but any team that gets dirty with us dominates us.

It's a sad fact of Scottish football. I appreciate the way Hartley is wanting to get us playing but it's never gonna work if we are such a soft touch. If we are to continue to be a soft touch, we are gonna have to be at least 2-3x a better team than the opposition.

Hartley is a good manager, a very good manager but he's giving himself a lot of hard work when we come up against hammer thrower style teams which based on this season so far - seems to be the majority. Today, we should have easily outplayed Caley but we got dragged into a shitfest.

On what basis is ph a very good manager?

Decent yes, good unproven for me, very good definitely not yet.

There were rumblings yesterday.

There have been a lot of excuses for him over the last 5 months, "end of season", "some players ken there away", "as long as its ok once the real ball comes out", "hearts will finish 3rd", "its only the league cup", "shocks happen" and now "its the big bullies fault".

I don't think those that trot out how good a manager is do him any favours, he's decent and I want him at dens but he is a James mcpake injury time equaliser away from being under real pressure, from the support anyway.

The problem yesterday was that ICT got away with being extremely cynical / dirty - some of their 'challenges' were embarrassing. They kicked, pushed and forearm smashed us all over the park from the outset and the ref stood and watched. You could see Stewart and Hemmings in particular looking / waiting to be clattered from behind when the ball was coming to them.

The way I saw it yesterday the ref protected the hammer throwers and penalised the footballers by allowing them to be booted all over the place. But this seems to be happening more and more and we need to adapt. With the squad we have though, I can't see that happening as we will just continue to try to play football.

Ludo your point  ..... " Hartley is a good manager, a very good manager" .....  I think is.honestly and fairly made.

As you probably know, like yourself, I am generally, of the same opinion and do believe, as he continues to learn and develop,he will show his true worth.

But it's because of this, I am at times at a loss, to see why he persists in playing a system that is not working. Making his job (and players) job harder.

He's hard- working, intelligent, ambitious and gives his all (imo). So is it lack of reources that is forcing him to a set system, or is he really just stubborn.

In an ideal world, whether in everyday situation, or on the football field, honesty and fair play would be ideal. However it is not. Is it not time to change it ?

Respect for you Ludo and your posts, so please accept this as a genuine question (and it's open to any poster) Is it time for PH to be more brutal/direct?

Or even for PH to maybe consider, that what he is trying to do is not working as well as he hoped. And consider totally changing his system and approach.

In what way am I at it?!

Think my point was fairly clear. I'd much rather us play good football than be a team that punts the ball 9 times out of 10 and hopes/expects 3 points. I'd much rather we tried to play the proper way and failed. I don't see that as even a question to be honest.

Whatever Ludo. I would rather be champions that's all I'm saying.

Not sure that we are as good at football as some make out. Yes we can hold the ball but a good team can pass the ball forward and not just sideways or backward. I have only seen us twice this year so I may not be fully aware of our potential but for me the final ball or cross has been poor when I have seen us. Good football requires a mix of styles and I don't think we have that. If Thomson us not playing I don't know what we would do.

Not sure that we are as good at football as some make out. Yes we can hold the ball but a good team can pass the ball forward and not just sideways or backward. I have only seen us twice this year so I may not be fully aware of our potential but for me the final ball or cross has been poor when I have seen us. Good football requires a mix of styles and I don't think we have that. If Thomson us not playing I don't know what we would do.

See, it is possible to be critical of the team AND make sense.

Some of the OTT criticising complaints really have me utterly depressed about our own support.

However when constructive criticisms are made it's hard to argue and this post sums up where we are.

If we have our strongest 11 on the park, we seem to be able to find the answers, however take one or two key components out (and the injuries are ridiculous) and we struggle with the system. If we had options to change the style, or directness of play then we'd do a lot better. I'm not asking for route 1, but hard to ignore that our goal yesterday came from a long punt up the park that ICT proved inept at defending. That said the pen came from a decent cross and McGowan missed a sitter after some decent passing and a decent cross. A mix of styles is the way forward and hopefully the mooted signings can help offer that.

Adblock Detected