Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Transfer Window Closes: Poll

Cobra

Transfer deadline ends  

102 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about Dundee's business in recent days?

2. 2. Where do you think we'll finish in the league?

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Quite happy. Cleared out 3 duds who were rotting on the sidelines and brought in 2 young hungry players on loan in positions we are short on from a decent level who are highly rated and looking to impress. Could have done with one more player in IMO but not gonna grumble too much about that!

We can still get someone in on a free so there's still hope for an extra body yet. Quietly optimistic!

Once loy, hemmings and Stewart are all up top again I'm confident we can finish 5th with the squad we have, but that all hinges on wether we can keep boys fit for long enough to achieve where we want to be come next May!

Edited by Derrygunner

Over the last week, I think we've done well. Going into the season, my biggest issues with the squad were concerning Simon Ferry (who tried his best but has never shown evidence that he would contribute anything) and Phil Roberts (waster). I was willing to give Tankulic a chance but a lot of the rumours on here about his behaviour off the pitch meant that he was becoming a disturbance.

Coming in, we've signed a player who looks like he's got a bit of strength, ability and versatility (there is evidence of Calder playing in most positions) and then a forward with a bit of pace. Even if these signings don't set the world alight, both arrive ready to play and play in first team games.

On how we'll do for the season, I'd say it's pretty hard to tell. Right now, we're playing exactly like a mid table team. One minute we're looking unstoppable and the next minute we're very vulnerable. I'm pretty confident we won't be near a play off (if we go on a really bad run, I think Hartley will do what he did post January and we'll look at just getting points on the board) but it'll depend on if we manage to get a brilliant run together to propel us into the top half of the table.

Bain

McGinn McPake Julen Holt

Ross Thomson Harkins

Stewart

Hemmings Loy

That was the 11 we fielded against United and I honestly believe that if we get a team with that sort of balance playing consistently, we'll rake up the wins. A big problem we've had recently is adjusting to not making perfect changes and having to change the balance between midfield and attack too often. Stewart, for example, is perfectly suited to that sort of system as it gives him the freedom to roam around the pitch and no matter how the opposition try to stop him, if there are two other forwards that are looking to create space for themselves and a midfield comfortable in possession, he's going to influence the game.

In that theoretical 11, we can now hopefully cover for injured players most of the time without changing the whole balance of the team. These are the changes that I think would keep the flow of the side the same or very similar:

• Defensive injuries - loads of cover
  • Injury to Ross/Harkins - Low/McGowan/Calder (possibly)/Carreiro
  • Injury to Thomson -  Low/Calder (possibly)/Harkins (last resort)
  • Injury to Stewart - Calder/Healey (removing free role and going with a flat three up top), bringing in Ross/Harkins replacement and pushing Harkins into free role
  • Injury to Hemmings/Loy - Calder/Healey

The biggest problem we face is that if Thomson and Low are out, we might have to abandon our top heavy approach and bring another midfielder in. I've made that look quite complicated but my main point is that I see us being a great side if we can handle our injuries without being forced into dramatic changes. Since the start of the season, we haven't been able to achieve that, but it has been a particularly bad start with injuries so hopefully things will improve. If we had another forward and versatile midfielder to call on in the last month, we might have seen a very different team!

EDIT: Just to clarify, I'm not stating that that 11 I picked is our perfect team but was just using it as an example of a balance which, I feel, brings out the best in us. Obviously form and fitness will determine who will play.

Edited by harry94

Difficult to say for me..

The outgoings were required but at what cost have they come at?

Hopefully the pay off's have not financially hampered our ability to carry out any surgery that's required within the squad with any free agents that PH may want or need between now and January.

Regards the additions - I genuinely know nothing about them other than what I've read over the last couple of days. The proof, as always, will be in the pudding. These two young lads have a great opportunity to come here, impress and show Scottish football what they can do. They're not arriving with any expectations, baggage or reputation so the chance is there for them to create a great impression if they can produce the goods. I'm desperately hoping that they can but solving the frailties of our team is a big responsibility for two unproven, untested and very young players.

We'll just need to wait and see..

Regards where we'll finish - I agree with Harry. So far we've shown we're capable of beating almost anyone on our day. We've also shown our vulnerability and weakness' and a couple of opponents have already badly exposed them.

I'll be optimistic about our chances and say fifth. If we've got the balance in our squad right, cut out the daft experiments and get some luck with injuries, I see no reason why we shouldn't be challenging for fourth spot though.

Edited by Boba Fett

Very much a Hmmmmmm for me.

Whilst it was good to get the players out the door it's still 3 poor signings that have had to be paid off which is never a great thing as that's money that could have been better spent. Shows the dangers of longer term deals I guess and it's a little disappointing that 2 of PH's first signings have had to be paid off.

For the players in, it's impossible to say. Whilst these guys must be technically gifted to be at these clubs their lack of competitive first team football means they will always be suck it and see in terms of success. Massive difference between academy football and first team, maybe not in terms of skill levels but certainly in terms of intensity.

Whilst I am not one of the Wighton hypers it does seem a little strange to have him loaned out and bring in a young untried forward. I'm hoping this I just because PH wants him to get game time at Raith, however it could also be read that he simply doesn't rate him.

Went so so for those reasons.

Edited by Ivan Drago

I think Hartley took chances on guys who had ability but also had behaviour or fitness problems, thinking that he would be the one to get them into shape.

Unfortunately this backfired quite badly and he has had to cut our losses and off load them.

Hopefully it's a lesson learned.

I look forward to seeing the new arrivals in action and hopefully Whighton returning in January.

I think Hartley took chances on guys who had ability but also had behaviour or fitness problems, thinking that he would be the one to get them into shape.

Unfortunately this backfired quite badly and he has had to cut our losses and off load them.

Hopefully it's a lesson learned.

I look forward to seeing the new arrivals in action and hopefully Whighton returning in January.

Certainly in the case of Roberts I would totally agree.

Think PH made a judgement. This time it was wrong.

No accusations. Costly mistake. But it can happen.

If Roberts had got his head down, played to potential,

PH would have been cheered on by most of us here.

Thank goodness he has gone. And hope PH is wiser.

Over the last week, I think we've done well. Going into the season, my biggest issues with the squad were concerning Simon Ferry (who tried his best but has never shown evidence that he would contribute anything) and Phil Roberts (waster). I was willing to give Tankulic a chance but a lot of the rumours on here about his behaviour off the pitch meant that he was becoming a disturbance.

Coming in, we've signed a player who looks like he's got a bit of strength, ability and versatility (there is evidence of Calder playing in most positions) and then a forward with a bit of pace. Even if these signings don't set the world alight, both arrive ready to play and play in first team games.

On how we'll do for the season, I'd say it's pretty hard to tell. Right now, we're playing exactly like a mid table team. One minute we're looking unstoppable and the next minute we're very vulnerable. I'm pretty confident we won't be near a play off (if we go on a really bad run, I think Hartley will do what he did post January and we'll look at just getting points on the board) but it'll depend on if we manage to get a brilliant run together to propel us into the top half of the table.

Bain

McGinn McPake Julen Holt

Ross Thomson Harkins

Stewart

Hemmings Loy

That was the 11 we fielded against United and I honestly believe that if we get a team with that sort of balance playing consistently, we'll rake up the wins. A big problem we've had recently is adjusting to not making perfect changes and having to change the balance between midfield and attack too often. Stewart, for example, is perfectly suited to that sort of system as it gives him the freedom to roam around the pitch and no matter how the opposition try to stop him, if there are two other forwards that are looking to create space for themselves and a midfield comfortable in possession, he's going to influence the game.

In that theoretical 11, we can now hopefully cover for injured players most of the time without changing the whole balance of the team. These are the changes that I think would keep the flow of the side the same or very similar:

• Defensive injuries - loads of cover
  • Injury to Ross/Harkins - Low/McGowan/Calder (possibly)/Carreiro
  • Injury to Thomson -  Low/Calder (possibly)/Harkins (last resort)
  • Injury to Stewart - Calder/Healey (removing free role and going with a flat three up top), bringing in Ross/Harkins replacement and pushing Harkins into free role
  • Injury to Hemmings/Loy - Calder/Healey

The biggest problem we face is that if Thomson and Low are out, we might have to abandon our top heavy approach and bring another midfielder in. I've made that look quite complicated but my main point is that I see us being a great side if we can handle our injuries without being forced into dramatic changes. Since the start of the season, we haven't been able to achieve that, but it has been a particularly bad start with injuries so hopefully things will improve. If we had another forward and versatile midfielder to call on in the last month, we might have seen a very different team!

EDIT: Just to clarify, I'm not stating that that 11 I picked is our perfect team but was just using it as an example of a balance which, I feel, brings out the best in us. Obviously form and fitness will determine who will play.

Good post - Agree with almost all of this. I'd swap Ross with Low. Nothing against Ross as I think he's a good player, just think that Low looks better.

The issue with Roberts was giving him a two year deal. He had never warrented that length of contract and his previous actions at clubs showed that. He should have been offered a one year deal with the option of a second year based on performance level/games played. Lets face it he wouldnt have got many better offers. With Ferry then I can see why two years was offered, he played at a good level and had been a good player at both his previous clubs. Tank should have been the same deal as Roberts as he was unproven and untested at any level.

Glad to see that the three players are away though and it looks like we have got players in who will be technically good and who both appear to have much needed pace, this gives us a different option and versatitlity to our play even if we are playing the same formation. If we get a high tempo/quick passing and movement game then we can hurt teams.

Would have liked to have seen a target man striker (if only for the bench as throwing Mcpake up top shouldnt be a regular thing it should only be in extreme circumstances) but there is the free agents going about and with them being without clubs then there might be a steal or two out there who will want to put themselves in the shop window till Jan at the least.

All in all it was a decent window, could have been a wee bit better but certainly could have been a lot worse (if we hadnt been able to get rid of the three).

I think almomst anyone in PHs shoes would have made the same mistake with Roberts.

Who would believe that someone so young would spit in the faces of people trying to help them succeed in the Dream Job of most adult males on the planet?

(there's a nice long run-on sentence for ya!)  :)

And that's the truth Joe on both counts..... Although, at the back o' my own mind, I wonder just how much a big a part, the alcohol had to do with his attitude.

(Re my sentences) From my point of view, some days are just made for long sentences, some short snappy sentences, and some slanty like sentences :)

It's probably a lot to do with the varying weather this summer. But more likely I'm once again entering my "I think I am going into my happy mental phase" :)

Adblock Detected