The Dark Blues Dundee FC's foremost fans forum and fansite. Created by Dees for Dees. Get involved
Sign in to follow this  
Gedee

Alcoholism From An A.A. Perspective.

Rate this topic

Hi chomp,like yourself,I like the stuff but will say that the championship weekend with the player of the year doo,I had a damn good weekend to myself ...went into my work on the Monday feeling a bit washed out. I decided to lay off it for a while....was only for a couple of weeks I thought but ended up being 372 days. The longer it went on it became a challenge in myself to see if I could manage a year.. I wasn't trying to prove a point or anything but realised I was breaking a habit I'd done since I was 13 years old....54 now. Everyone kept saying well done!!! Which was strange as I didn't have a problem. I was able to go out in company having a laugh ,days at the fitba while everyone was getting p*ssed ,me being sober...initially it was hard as you are the only one drinking coke ,fitba is a drinking environment no doubt about that ..not sure how well I've put my points/ views over here but knowing the feeling of guilt with myself when I had my first beer again,I can only imagine what guys who do have a problem go through when they relapse....ps was able to save a fair wad of cash to put new double glazing in and new carpet in the living room as well....Mrs janny likes!!!

Slightly interupting your post Janny, which eh'm aware,mair directed at chomp.

Basically jist tae say hello tae ye again. and hope you and Mrs Janny are weel.

Although I'll say, you had no reason to feel any guilt friend. Guid bit o' self control.

Thoct eh wid try an early night. Didnae work tho. 3 'oors sleep. Up again, 2.30 am

Hi chomp,like yourself,I like the stuff but will say that the championship weekend with the player of the year doo,I had a damn good weekend to myself ...went into my work on the Monday feeling a bit washed out. I decided to lay off it for a while....was only for a couple of weeks I thought but ended up being 372 days. The longer it went on it became a challenge in myself to see if I could manage a year.. I wasn't trying to prove a point or anything but realised I was breaking a habit I'd done since I was 13 years old....54 now. Everyone kept saying well done!!! Which was strange as I didn't have a problem. I was able to go out in company having a laugh ,days at the fitba while everyone was getting p*ssed ,me being sober...initially it was hard as you are the only one drinking coke ,fitba is a drinking environment no doubt about that ..not sure how well I've put my points/ views over here but knowing the feeling of guilt with myself when I had my first beer again,I can only imagine what guys who do have a problem go through when they relapse....ps was able to save a fair wad of cash to put new double glazing in and new carpet in the living room as well....Mrs janny likes!!!

I'd be a good bit better off if I didn't drink, I don't go to the pub as much but I drink in the house pretty much every night, it still adds up. Its certainly not a cheap hobby the bevvying.  :mad:

Fae yir post chomp .... "but I drink in the house pretty much every night"

Well at least you have some excuse tae fa' back on ....

Eh've nae excuse for awe the keech eh write :D

"But you tak care now friend" :)

• Like 1

Slightly interupting your post Janny, which eh'm aware,mair directed at chomp.

Basically jist tae say hello tae ye again. and hope you and Mrs Janny are weel.

Although I'll say, you had no reason to feel any guilt friend. Guid bit o' self control.

Thoct eh wid try an early night. Didnae work tho. 3 'oors sleep. Up again, 2.30 am

thanks Gedee,hope things are good with you also.Not posted for a wee while as BT were dragging their heels sorting my phone out. Sorry to hear about not having good sleepies, I would try a cheeky wee Night Nurse....might keep it quiet from Mrs Gedee though.

Fae yir post Janny ...... "I would try a cheeky wee Night Nurse....might keep it quiet from Mrs Gedee though"

I will no say exacty whar I am, but wi the age I am, eh cannae be sae choosy now.

And I now understand why the sheep become mair attractive the  further north ye go.

Eh'd get awa wi smuggling ain intae bed (Margaret's a heavy sleeper) But at my age

they tak some catching. To be honest, I like tae try to build up a relationship first :wub:

• Like 1

I lost my old man to this disease when he was 47,alcohol wrecked oor family,I've never been massive drinker always scared it would grab me same as dad fortunately not.

I lost my old man to this disease when he was 47,alcohol wrecked oor family,I've never been massive drinker always scared it would grab me same as dad fortunately not.

Sorry to hear about your dad Scot' ...It must have been tough for him and of course all the family.

I don't think it necessarily follows, because your dad had a problem, you could also be in danger.

But better to be aware of it. I see you are a taxi driver. You will be aware of danger to self & others.

Neither of my own parents drank, or even made an issue of drinking. My brother & myself were in

our 20's before we had our first drink.Alcohol just did not work for either of us. But it took us both

too long to realise it probably. My own children (now in their 40's) can drink alcohol in moderation.

Thanks for taking time to reply,I'm 50 now driving job since17 years of age probably kept me on straight.

Long time driving there Scot. You will have seen competition come and go. I don't know anything about this newest competition.

But most of my working life has been around customers & public relations. And that included quite a long perod when I was self-

employed. Dealing directly with my customer. See by your post you appear rightly, no' to be unduly worried about new competition.

For myself, if I am being honest, I wouldn not go so far to say I welcomed competition. But in the long run it made no difference.

Sure I was just like yourself, I'd go that extra mile to make sure my customers got honest, quality service & value for money & never,

ever, give any thought to the long hours & extra effort. (Sorry, it's no' aboot me)   Look after Yoursel, Family & Freends. Tak Care :)