Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Best Defenders From The Last 25 Years

Cobra

Best Dundee defenders  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Which four defenders would you select from the last 25 years?

• George McGeachie
    • Rab Shannon
    • Noel Blake
    • Barry Smith
    • Dusan Vrto
    • Dariusz Adamczuk
    • Brian Irvine
    • Lee Wilkie
    • Chris Coyne
    • Dave Mackay
    • Zurab Khizanishvili
    • Marcello Marrocco
    • Walter Del Rio
    • Massimo Beghetto
    • Jonay Hernandez
    • Brent Sancho
    • Bobby Mann
    • Gary MacKenzie
    • Milan Páleník
    • Craig Forsyth
    • Jim Lauchlan
    • Eric Paton
    • Gary Irvine
    • Matt Lockwood
    • Brian Easton
    • James McPake
    • Paul McGinn
    • Julen Etxabeguren
    • Thomas Konrad
    • Jim Duffy

This is the final poll for the quarter century XI. I've decided to put the defenders into one poll so please select four from the list.

If you can try to pick a back four rather than four centre backs that would be good.

Edited by Cobra

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

I just know I'm going to change 1 or 2, this one is impossible. I was a poor footballer but I was a half decent defender, I always admired silky defenders. For now I've gone Barry (obv's),  Darius, Gary McKenzie (more raw than silky with us I admit) and McPake. I Can see Palenik amongst others making my final cut, Cobra, you're a b****r with this selection.

• Like 1

I've picked my 4 favourites, we'd probably have to have a re-jig of formation to fit them in but I'd have Dusan, Barry Smith, Noel Blake and Beghetto (Who was the most underrated player during the whole Bonetti era for me!). Not the best 4 on the list, but for me, there's a lot of class that can be selected and I know Dariusz will be reeling in the picks as it is. I only saw limited amounts of Duffy and more associate him as a manager although I do remember him being absolute class for us and miles better than what I've selected, but as it is, I've picked my 4!

Vrto Duffy Smith Adamczuk

Has to be that 4 for me,

Vrto - One of the hardest players I can remember and remember fondly his tackling and long throws

Duffy - Maybe never saw him in his prime but what I can rememeber he was as good as any CH in the league

Smith - Gone for Barry at sweeper, one of the best readers of the game to have played for us, commited and a fantastic tackler ala vrto

Adamczuk - See Vrto! He had it all for me, hard in the tackle, good going forward and could take a goal.

Special mentions to Big Brian Irvine, who scored one of the best headers I have seen at the dump and Zurab who was probably the most technically gifted player on that list

Finally went for Darius, Duffy, Wilkie, Hernandez

Tried to get Zurab in either at right back (he played a few games there) or at centre half, but the pairing i went for probably has the best balance.

Wilkie with his prowess in the air as well as being fairly skillful on the deck and Duffy as the sweeper of the pair, probably the best timer of a tackle I've ever seen as Dens. Honourable mention for Dusan as well.

Left back is quite difficult but went for Jonay as I thought he was very under rated during his spell here and not bad defensively, probably better going forward and always open for a pass. However would be quite happy with Marroco/Forsyth.

Would have loved to put Barry in there, but that would have been heart over head.

Adblock Detected