Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Best Manager From The Last 25 Years

Cobra

Best Dundee manager  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you consider the best Dundee manager of the last 25 years?

• Jim Duffy
    • Jocky Scott
    • Ivano Bonetti
    • Alex Rae
    • Barry Smith
    • John Brown
    • Paul Hartley

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

It's Barry Smith for me. He might be near bottom of the list had he taken us over in normal circumstances  - but the facts were, he didn't and he needed to break the club's undefeated record just to keep us in the Championship and keep us alive with a thread bare squad. That achievement will struggle to be matched. His career since suggest he might not be the best manager we've had, but he was exactly what we needed when we needed him and he delivered big time.

In terms of a manager being placed into a 'normal' situation, it's between Jocky and Hartley by a considerable distance and I think Hartley is pipping Jocky as it stands.

I should copy and paste this as I've posted the following about 5 times on here whenever we're debating past managers.

Duffy for me for his efforts August 2002 to April 2005.

Top 6 finish season 2002/03 with an entertaining attacking 4-3-3 line up who were a match for anyone.

First Scottish Cup final in 39 years and our only one in 51 years.

European football for first time in 29 years and only time in 41 years.

9 derbies undefeated which is the most since the 1950s I think.

Kept us up comfortably after admin 1.

Got us to our only other major cup final in the past 35 years in 1995 in his first spell as manager.

A lot of Dundee fans will only remember him for the last 4 or 5 games that lead to our relegation in 2005 but for me that's harsh ignoring the 3 years before that.

Jocky and Hartley only behind by a whisker for me too.

Edited by Perth Road Dee

A tough one this, I've plumped for Jim Duffy, cup finals go a long way and I mind he was even doing the laundry at one point.  :lol2:

I've been a long time fan of Jocky and Barry both as managers and players and I can see (and hope) that PH running away with it if this poll is done again in a few years. I'll be interested to see how many votes Brown gets, loved him as a player, despaired at him as a manager.

Hmmm. This is a tricky one. The truth is for managers to remain success in fans minds, they almost have to leave before things get bad. As has been pointed out, if Duffy left before the last 5 games of the relegation season, he'd win this hands down. If Smithy left after the admin season, he's win it. In fact, his achievements that season were better than any managerial success in Scottish Football in recent times. Jocky did very well first time round and was forced out by the Marrs which gives him a slight advantage. The second time round is inconclusive. He was tasked to get us up and backed massively by an investor. He was sacked when we were top of the league but looking like we'd bottle it.

Too tough to call, I'm going for Gordon Chisholm.

I should copy and paste this as I've posted the following about 5 times on here whenever we're debating past managers.

Duffy for me for his efforts August 2002 to April 2005.

Top 6 finish season 2002/03 with an entertaining attacking 4-3-3 line up who were a match for anyone.

First Scottish Cup final in 39 years and our only one in 51 years.

European football for first time in 29 years and only time in 41 years.

9 derbies undefeated which is the most since the 1950s I think.

Kept us up comfortably after admin 1.

Got us to our only other major cup final in the past 35 years in 1995 in his first spell as manager.

A lot of Dundee fans will only remember him for the last 4 or 5 games that lead to our relegation in 2005 but for me that's harsh ignoring the 3 years before that.

Jocky and Hartley only behind by a whisker for me too.

This. What he did for us both on and off the park was great. Yes people remember that it was he who took us down but they all forget the rest.

Honourable mentions for Jocky (and Hartley) who have produced teams who performed time and again and obviously to Barry for the defiant season, which may well gone down in a strange way as the most successfull and important season we ever had.

Adblock Detected