The Dark Blues Dundee FC's foremost fans forum and fansite. Created by Dees for Dees. Get involved
Sign in to follow this  
offshoredee

County

Rate this topic

Sorry I just struggle to accept that a point against a club the size of county is a good result.

Club sizes and crowds matter not one bit on the park unfortunately.

They are a better team than us so far this season and are 7-0 up against a much harder opponent a league above the ones who knocked us out in the same competition a round earlier.

You can't seriously think a point would be a bad result on Saturday after we've just been beat 6-0 ourselves?

• Like 1

PRD has a point

Saturday was always gonna be a hard game. Hopefully their captain Davies is still out as he seems a top player. 

We have to start well and play positive otherwise we could very well get beat, especially going by our previous few performances. 

Club sizes and crowds matter not one bit on the park unfortunately.

They are a better team than us so far this season and are 7-0 up against a much harder opponent a league above the ones who knocked us out in the same competition a round earlier.

You can't seriously think a point would be a bad result on Saturday after we've just been beat 6-0 ourselves?

Sorry maybe I am being stubborn or unrealistic but a home draw v Ross County will never be a good result in my eyes.

Points away at Pitodrie or Tynie are good points. Home to county is our bread and butter and if we aspire to be anything above average then we need to be winning them.

I would actually counter your argument that after a performance as holocaustically (if that's a word) bad as Saturday our players should be going out with such a rocket up their arses that they should be running through brick walls to win, making a point a poor result if that's all that is gained.

I see Ivan's point as well. It will depend on what Dee team shows up on the day.

Sorry maybe I am being stubborn or unrealistic but a home draw v Ross County will never be a good result in my eyes.

Points away at Pitodrie or Tynie are good points. Home to county is our bread and butter and if we aspire to be anything above average then we need to be winning them.

I would actually counter your argument that after a performance as holocaustically (if that's a word) bad as Saturday our players should be going out with such a rocket up their arses that they should be running through brick walls to win, making a point a poor result if that's all that is gained.

Sorry Ivan, but it's exactly that attitude that's irked me over the years.

You get what you deserve out of the game on and off the park. Ross Co have an owner willing to pour money into the club year in and year out and they've been top flight longer than we have. Therefore just because we put more bums on seats doesn't mean we should win.

Are we a better team than Ross Co right now on the park, probably not. Although I don't think there's much in it either way if we both play to potential.

I want a win on Saturday and won't be happy with a draw, but does that mean it would be a bad result? Well, that's a different thing.

• Like 1

You're right, we probably don't. Maybe just in my head we do (or should).

In my head we should too, but I'm not convinced we do right now.

I disagree - team size is completely irrelevant - it's the quality of the side that matters. For instance, if we were paired against Hibs in the cup, I'd expect us to win, because they have a poor side even if they are a 'big' club. County have a top quality side this season, and are at the absolute top of their game evidenced by tonight.

Falkirk are technically a bigger club than County, so their defeat tonight is inexplicable. Extremely naïve view to take just basing it on club size as there is numerous other factors. For example, County's budget definitely isn't in proportion with their size because they are bankrolled by Roy MacGregor, I'm not saying they have a larger or lower budget than ours - I'm just saying that going on club size isn't really a good way to go in terms of thinking who we should beat and who we shouldn't.

barkblue, on 22 Sept 2015 - 9:40 PM, said:

Sorry Ivan, but it's exactly that attitude that's irked me over the years.

You get what you deserve out of the game on and off the park. Ross Co have an owner willing to pour money into the club year in and year out and they've been top flight longer than we have. Therefore just because we put more bums on seats doesn't mean we should win.

Are we a better team than Ross Co right now on the park, probably not. Although I don't think there's much in it either way if we both play to potential.

I want a win on Saturday and won't be happy with a draw, but does that mean it would be a bad result? Well, that's a different thing.

You summed it up better than I did bud. Exactly, dated attitude to think just because we get more bums on seats we should be expecting to win.

I disagree - team size is completely irrelevant - it's the quality of the side that matters. For instance, if we were paired against Hibs in the cup, I'd expect us to win, because they have a poor side even if they are a 'big' club. County have a top quality side this season, and are at the absolute top of their game evidenced by tonight.

Falkirk are technically a bigger club than County, so their defeat tonight is inexplicable. Extremely naïve view to take just basing it on club size as there is numerous other factors. For example, County's budget definitely isn't in proportion with their size because they are bankrolled by Roy MacGregor, I'm not saying they have a larger or lower budget than ours - I'm just saying that going on club size isn't really a good way to go in terms of thinking who we should beat and who we shouldn't.

Ludo, I actually think it is one of the reasons we floundered for so long. The club and a lot of the support thought that simply being Dundee Football Club was enough to get promoted, when actually in many ways (the approach of other teams against us) made it a hinderance. 

Saturday was always gonna be a hard game. Hopefully their captain Davies is still out as he seems a top player. 

We have to start well and play positive otherwise we could very well get beat, especially going by our previous few performances.

[/qutote] That is my worry. Our previous few performances league and cup. Our tactics have to be spot on and we have to have a go at them. If we don't we will pay the price but we are at home and have to prove to our support we are going through a blip. If we don't, it could be an interesting few weeks ahead.

I get what you are saying guys and I appreciate that county's recent history has been a lot more stable than ours. However I still don't believe that county, both as a team and a club are of the calibre of "a points a good result" as yet.

If we aspire to be in the upper echelons of the league these are our bread and butter. Making excuses for mediocrity isn't a good thing IMO.

Ivan Drago, on 22 Sept 2015 - 9:47 PM, said:

I get what you are saying guys and I appreciate that county's recent history has been a lot more stable than ours. However I still don't believe that county, both as a team and a club are of the calibre of "a points a good result" as yet.

If we aspire to be in the upper echelons of the league these are our bread and butter. Making excuses for mediocrity isn't a good thing IMO.

It's not an excuse of mediocrity though, because I expect County to be a top 6 side this season, so them at the top of their game and us licking our wounds from last week means a point isn't the worst in the world. I'd hope we'd win every home game we play, but it doesn't work like that and County have been ripping sides apart in recent weeks so a point wouldn't be necessarily 'accepting mediocrity' in my opinion, it could be a good point in our hunt for a top 6 place.

I assume PH is in Dingwall - guess he did not spot many weaknesses tonight? I think getting wired in must be top of the agenda

Their confidence will be high so we have to make sure we score first early on or yes, it could be a long afternoon.

We've had great wins & been crap in next game so we can sort them out. When did we last beat them though?