Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Angry Dundee Aiming To Right A Few Wrongs After Celtic Mauling Says Greg Stewart

JoeCovenant

Words have been crossed and tempers flared on Dundee’s training pitch this week but Greg Stewart wouldn’t have it any other way.

The Dark Blues frontman says there have been a lot of angry players turning up to the club’s Riverside training base.

But following on from the 6-0 thrashing by Celtic he says he’s glad with the reaction he’s seen from the squad.

“That’s exactly what you want to see,†he said. “Training has been a bit feisty this week.

“Everybody has been right in your face in training. It’s been competitive, more so than ever.

“We just need to take what we have been producing in training on to the park.â€

Stewart admits the players weren’t up to scratch at Parkhead.

But he’s desperate to put that right when Ross County come to town.

The four-goal forward continued: “We’re looking forward to it because we want to put Celtic behind us.

“Ideally, we would have had another game on Tuesday or Wednesday but we were knocked out of that cup.

“We have looked back over it and we know it wasn’t good enough.

“We have had a chat about it and now we need to put the wrongs right.â€

Poor performances are nothing new, though, according to a frank and honest Stewart. He says Dundee have not been up to scratch for some time now.

“We have to be honest with ourselves — even before the Celtic game we weren’t playing well,†he said.

“Partick was a win but not good enough.

“We set our standard at the start of the season and we haven’t kept that going.

“Maybe only for one half against Hearts and for spells in the win over

St Johnstone have we performed like we know we can since the opening day.

“After the first game we felt we could be a really good team this season.

“It hasn’t happened for us. But we know we can play at a certain level.

“We need to try to get the bit between our teeth and get back to that.

“We can get back to that. I have the belief in the team-mates around me and I’m sure they believe in me.â€

While he and his colleagues are keen to put things right, Stewart is under no illusions.

He knows that County will be no pushover, especially not with the form they’ve been in for much of 2015.

And following on from their League Cup triumph — a 7-0 hammering of Championship Falkirk — there’s probably no tougher time to play them.

“Ross County will come at us. They are flying at the moment.

“We need to match them. We need to battle for every ball.

“Jim McIntyre has done a fantastic job up there.

“They were fighting relegation last season but I don’t think they will be in that mix this time around.â€

Some fans have been calling for Kane Hemmings to be dropped for the Staggies clash.

But Stewart is backing his friend and fellow attacker to hit the goal trail again.

“It was hard for Kane,†said Stewart of his former Cowdenbeath team-mate.

“To be honest, though, it would have been hard for anyone at Parkhead.

“He had to play against all four Celtic defenders, so it was no wonder he struggled.

“I know exactly what Kane can do, though, he will bounce back.

“Give him a chance and he’ll score. I’m sure that will be no different this weekend.â€

View the full article

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Words have been crossed and tempers flared on Dundee’s training pitch this week but Greg Stewart wouldn’t have it any other way.The Dark Blues frontman says there have been a lot of angry players turning up to the club’s Riverside training base.But following on from the 6-0 thrashing by Celtic he says he’s glad with the reaction he’s seen from the squad.“That’s exactly what you want to see,†he said. “Training has been a bit feisty this week.“Everybody has been right in your face in training. It’s been competitive, more so than ever.“We just need to take what we have been producing in training on to the park.â€Stewart admits the players weren’t up to scratch at Parkhead.But he’s desperate to put that right when Ross County come to town.The four-goal forward continued: “We’re looking forward to it because we want to put Celtic behind us.“Ideally, we would have had another game on Tuesday or Wednesday but we were knocked out of that cup.“We have looked back over it and we know it wasn’t good enough.“We have had a chat about it and now we need to put the wrongs right.â€Poor performances are nothing new, though, according to a frank and honest Stewart. He says Dundee have not been up to scratch for some time now.“We have to be honest with ourselves — even before the Celtic game we weren’t playing well,†he said.“Partick was a win but not good enough.“We set our standard at the start of the season and we haven’t kept that going.“Maybe only for one half against Hearts and for spells in the win overSt Johnstone have we performed like we know we can since the opening day.“After the first game we felt we could be a really good team this season.“It hasn’t happened for us. But we know we can play at a certain level.“We need to try to get the bit between our teeth and get back to that.“We can get back to that. I have the belief in the team-mates around me and I’m sure they believe in me.â€While he and his colleagues are keen to put things right, Stewart is under no illusions.He knows that County will be no pushover, especially not with the form they’ve been in for much of 2015.And following on from their League Cup triumph — a 7-0 hammering of Championship Falkirk — there’s probably no tougher time to play them.“Ross County will come at us. They are flying at the moment.“We need to match them. We need to battle for every ball.“Jim McIntyre has done a fantastic job up there.“They were fighting relegation last season but I don’t think they will be in that mix this time around.â€Some fans have been calling for Kane Hemmings to be dropped for the Staggies clash.But Stewart is backing his friend and fellow attacker to hit the goal trail again.“It was hard for Kane,†said Stewart of his former Cowdenbeath team-mate.“To be honest, though, it would have been hard for anyone at Parkhead.“He had to play against all four Celtic defenders, so it was no wonder he struggled.“I know exactly what Kane can do, though, he will bounce back.“Give him a chance and he’ll score. I’m sure that will be no different this weekend.â€View the full article

Now that is what the fans want to hear. As long as they take that attitude on to the pitch, regardless of the result, I will be happy.

Adblock Detected