Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Our Shambolic Defence.

Spiritof62

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Our defence is a total shambles at the moment.

Can we find an answer to the lack of cohesion and organisation from the current squad?

Cammy Kerr must be wondering what he has to do to get a chance in this team, I would love him to get a chance versus Well.

I know we have a back four but do you not think the way we're arrayed further up the pitch leaves them exposed ? I'm not saying we don't have issues from time to time but I don't think we're any different to most other teams about our level. Could things improve ? probably, they generally can , I think teams have sussed us now, we shocked Killie on the opening day, with hindsight it was against a fairly poor Killie team but our narrow formation does leave us exposed at the back, second guessing PH but maybe he's looking to 'Brazil' it, we'll ship goals but we'll score more than we let in. 

We had great games at the back last season and some real bombscare games.

This season looks to be the same and looking at some of the results seen in the league so far, most sides look about the same. It's probably the difference right now between the top 2 and the rest.

Cammy looks a prospect, but this clamour to simply throw all the young guys at the team and hope they suddenly turn from development players into first team regulars isn't the answer.

If you look at our record in winnable games (excluding Parkhead and Pittodrie), our form looks quite good. W3 D3 L1 F14 A9.

There does seem to be something of a defensive crisis at the moment though, which started at Partick. All five of our defenders gifted the opposition a goal-scoring opportunity at Firhill but somehow we ended up with a clean sheet. There was the Parkhead disaster when even Bain had a really bad moment and then the weekend when the keeper and defence were all over the place at times.

The only solution I can see is to drill the players every day until they can defend competently without thinking. As of yet, I don't see any evidence that we're putting things right on the training ground.

Hartley seems to think dropping a full-back or centre-back will improve things but that's not really getting to the root of our problems.

The good thing is we've got a great October coming up in terms of fixtures. You'd fancy us to put some points on the board against Motherwell, Hamilton, Killie and ICT and that will hopefully improve confidence throughout the team.

As for Cammy Kerr, I think the manager made the decision in the summer to send our best homegrown players out on loan rather than use them ourselves. Hopefully next summer he'll consider Kerr, Wighton and Colquhoun ready to play regularly for the first team.

Edited by Cobra

We need a settled defence first and foremost.

Through form and/or injury we have used McGinn, Irvine, Holt, Meggat, Julen, McPake and Konrad so far this season. That's every defender on our books bar the injured Gadz. 7 players used for 4 positions.

Dropping boys after a bad game is not the answer. One of the main criticisms leveled at Jmac at Tanadice was his inability to pick a settled team - we currently have that issue in our defence. We need to accept that players like Holt  will make mistakes as they bed into the team , especially the way we play leaving them exposed.

I believe that Holt is our best LB, I think Hartley does as well. He had a tough time in a few games and was immediately dropped. End result, Irvine comes in and makes mistakes as well. Holt is better, and is our long term solution, so lets allow him to make some mistakes, hopefully learn from them and become a better player as he becomes more used to the way we play. I also don't want to see Irvine start before McGinn for the same reason although McGinn doesn't have the bedding in excuse. Regardless I still think he is superior to Irvine at RB.

We need a settled defence first and foremost.

Through form and/or injury we have used McGinn, Irvine, Holt, Meggat, Julen, McPake and Konrad so far this season. That's every defender on our books bar the injured Gadz. 7 players used for 4 positions.

Dropping boys after a bad game is not the answer. One of the main criticisms leveled at Jmac at Tanadice was his inability to pick a settled team - we currently have that issue in our defence. We need to accept that players like Holt  will make mistakes as they bed into the team , especially the way we play leaving them exposed.

I believe that Holt is our best LB, I think Hartley does as well. He had a tough time in a few games and was immediately dropped. End result, Irvine comes in and makes mistakes as well. Holt is better, and is our long term solution, so lets allow him to make some mistakes, hopefully learn from them and become a better player as he becomes more used to the way we play. I also don't want to see Irvine start before McGinn for the same reason although McGinn doesn't have the bedding in excuse. Regardless I still think he is superior to Irvine at RB.

Based on what I have seen of Holt on the TV Stream etc, there is no doubt in my mind, he is the man for the job.

And could even  turn oot to be something special. Get the defence sorted out, the whole DFC will be special :)

Think a proper defensive midfielder to sit in between defence in midfield would help a lot too. Thomson is neat and tidy but isn't the type to bust a gut closing down and tackling attacking players. Mcgowan closes down a lot but rarely puts an actual tackle in. Need someone who will just sit a wee bit deeper and protect our back 2 properly when we don't have the ball.

This of course, is on top of giving our full backs some much needed defensive help.

Edited by Mr Gandosaur

We could have the best back 4 in the country but until they get decent cover from midfield then these problems will continue.

Thomson is our sitting midfielder along with Harkins mostly and with the best will in the world neither is mobile enough to get wide to help our full backs.

Stewart isn't the best defensively either so Holt especially is being hung out to dry down the left.

The formation Hartley tries to play is a good one IMO but he doesn't seem to have the players to play it. A rigid 4-4-2 has to be the way forward until he can sort this out. Calder seems to have the energy to cover his wing back but it remains to be seen if he can.

Adblock Detected