Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Kevin Holt Admits To Tough Start At Dundee But Wants To Keep Left-Back Spot

JoeCovenant

Kevin Holt feels his recent spell out of the Dundee first team was just what he needed — and now the defender wants to make the left-back spot his own.

The full-back, signed from Queen of the South over the summer, admits it’s been a tough start to life at Dens Park but, after regaining his place in the side, he feels he can grow into his role in the Dundee backline. Holt started the opening six matches of the season before being taken out of the firing line for the next three after the 3-1 League Cup defeat to Dunfermline.

After a month out of the team, though, Holt was back in the starting line-up for the visit of Ross County on Saturday with Gary Irvine missing the match through injury, and the big full-back is determined to stay there.

He said: “Sometimes taking a step away and looking at what you’re doing and sorting anything that’s not right in training, getting the head down and working hard can be a good thing. Then, when your chance comes, you’ve got to take it. It shows the competition for places here. By my own account, I know I wasn’t playing as well as what I could have been.

"It just shows we have a good squad and, if you’re not up to the mark, someone is going to step in. Gary was in and was doing well but I got my chance again — I just need to make sure I stay in the team.â€

Saturday saw Holt and his team-mates battle back from 3-1 down at half-time to grab a point against free-scoring Ross County. And, for the former Queens man, that second-half performance was exactly what was required after the 6-0 hammering against Celtic in the previous match.

He added: “I think that’s what we needed. We were disappointed to come in 3-1 down after the 6-0 the previous week and we were looking for a reaction. I thought we started the game quite well, then the goals took the wind out of our sails a wee bit but we got ourselves back in it in the second half.

“We had a real go at the end. With them going down to 10 men and us getting the penalty it swung the match a wee bit — but in the first half we lost soft goals. We’re disappointed at losing them so we need to take a look at those and tighten things up at the back.â€

Tightening things up at the back will be the name of the game in training but for Kevin the attacking side of the game is where he excels. On Saturday, he came within a whisker of grabbing the winner for the Dark Blues in the closing stages against County but was denied a first Dundee goal by goalkeeper Scott Fox.

“I definitely thought it was in — it was a great save from Scott,†he said. “We had a few chances at the end, obviously throwing bodies forward but they defended well and got away with a point."

Next up for the Dens Park side is a home game against currently managerless Motherwell and, after the Steelmen’s 2-1 win over Partick at the weekend, Kevin is taking nothing for granted against a side only two points below them in the table.

He added: “I think we’re a wee bit off where we think we should be, so we just need to try to turn the performances into wins, starting this week. There’s no easy games but we’re looking at a home match and we need to take the game to Motherwell. They’ll be right up for it. They got a win at the weekend and the new management may be in, so they’ll definitely be fired up and we’ll need to be as well.â€

View the full article

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
  • Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Adblock Detected