Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

British League

I see Dermot Desmond and Deila are at it again on behalf of the Tic and talking up a 'British League'.  By that they really mean the EPL plus Celtic and Rangers of course.

"It takes time but Celtic is a team that should have the opportunity to play in the best league," said Deila.

Really? How does that work then?

Deila said a British league "could be possible" but added that "it is not easy to do things very quickly in Britain".

Ronnie's now an expert on everything British.

But the funniest bit belongs to DD

"Ultimately, football matches are about content, whether it's Barcelona, Real Madrid, Manchester United, Arsenal or Liverpool. I think Rangers and Celtic are in that bracket.

Wrong DD - football matches at that level are about money. These teams are already making a fortune without your involvement and have no need for you or what you would bring to the table.. I really wish they would both b****r off somewhere else but it isn't going to happen unfortunately.

Couldn't see Celtic going for anything with British or Britain in the name anyway. Or would the possibility of £££££ make it acceptable.

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Much as you may find it funny, he's entirely correct.

Celtic are a massive team and make a mockery of the competition in Scotland.

Bizarrely they have become a geographical victim of the modern game like Ajax, Porto, Anderlecht, Bucharest etc who are big clubs outside the biggest leagues therefore not making the money other similar sized clubs make simply for being i a country with a supposed exciting and lucrative league.

The sooner these bigger cross border leagues get going the better for the smaller team in small countries so they can get back to a level playing field.

Edited by Abdul Latif

Celtic talking about wanting to leave doesn't do us any favours in trying to market our league.

It's a pipedream anyway. They're going nowhere, unfortunately.

The only thing that might change are the Champions League and Europa League formats.

Of course Celtic (and their manky twin) would want to be part of the English set up, the money is mind boggling. Totally hypothetically, it would be interesting to see their reaction if the English set up said they could join in the 10th tier and work their way up. Would the money men and fans be able to look at the long term potential or say no and they 'deserve' to be in the EPL ?

Ain't gonna happen though, why would the English want the baggage that the OF bring with them. The OF would have more luck forming a league with the big teams in Belgium, Holland and Scandinavia. It would guess that would be unlikely too. I guess we're stuck with them.  :(

Celtic speak about this as a way of deflecting from their poor performances in the champions league. They are the poor relations and their signings reflect the reality of their position. They don't try to sign quality players until they know whether or not they are through to the group stages of the competitions.

I don't think there is any chance of a British League unless the TV companies decide that they need to fund it and that would mean IMO that there was a major argument about the money going to the EPL.

It's unlikely but I do think there is some sort of chance of something happening.

Celtic and Rangers are massive clubs and it's insane to look at the support they are getting in what should essentially (due to their much superior budget) be a non-competitive environment. If the two clubs were to have access to the same exposure as Premier League clubs and get access to the TV money, I'd say it is actually pretty likely that they'd become major players in the league and maybe even be competing for titles.

From the view of most Premier League chairmen (or chairwoman), I'd guarantee you that, in private, they'd actually be pretty warm to the idea. If you are in charge of a company that is worth billions of pounds and are asked whether you'd like to enhance the consumer base and create a bit of intrigue around your industry, you are going to agree to it. At the current moment though, there is no mechanism to make something like this happen and since it's going to upset fans who will see it as unfair and another indication that money is more important than the sport, no one is going to bother with entertaining the motion or looking to make anything happen.

The reason it is not possible right now is this:

• Clubs can't pick and choose their leagues. UEFA aren't going to agree to this happening as if they do, it will give the green light to any rich Arab to buy a club anywhere in Europe and pay their way into some sort of hand picked super league. Although money is a massive deal in football, there are certain red lines and every single UEFA member would be against something like this happening as it would severely impact the sovereignty of the member nations.
  • No two UEFA members have so far expressed a willingness to share sovereignty over a mens league and there isn't much precedent for this happening.

The first point is going to be very very difficult to overcome as the implications are too difficult to navigate through given the implications it would have on football all over Europe.

The second however is not impossible to see through. There is no sort of will on both sides of the border on sharing a league right now but attitudes across Europe are changing a bit. Belgium and Holland have recently formed a women's league with UEFA approval that has allowed participation in European competitions and the proposals over joint men's leagues are becoming more serious. Russia had a proposal for some the ex Soviet states to merge their leagues together and there was a fair bit of popularity around the idea and UEFA were not as vocal against it as they had recently been (obviously the political turmoil has killed this but it does demonstrate changing attitudes) while there are several other proposals that come up yearly (the Czech-Slovak league is one) that don't seem to go away.

I don't think anything will happen soon but the best chance of Celtic and Rangers happening is a domino effect caused by changes in the continent. If other countries demonstrate successful models in how to keep most people happy and create money, it may change attitudes over here. There are ways I could think of integrating both league systems together (and even Wales) while getting most people on side but it just needs others who are a bit more willing to demonstrate it for support to build.

It's unlikely but I do think there is some sort of chance of something happening.

Celtic and Rangers are massive clubs and it's insane to look at the support they are getting in what should essentially (due to their much superior budget) be a non-competitive environment. If the two clubs were to have access to the same exposure as Premier League clubs and get access to the TV money, I'd say it is actually pretty likely that they'd become major players in the league and maybe even be competing for titles.

From the view of most Premier League chairmen (or chairwoman), I'd guarantee you that, in private, they'd actually be pretty warm to the idea. If you are in charge of a company that is worth billions of pounds and are asked whether you'd like to enhance the consumer base and create a bit of intrigue around your industry, you are going to agree to it. At the current moment though, there is no mechanism to make something like this happen and since it's going to upset fans who will see it as unfair and another indication that money is more important than the sport, no one is going to bother with entertaining the motion or looking to make anything happen.

The reason it is not possible right now is this:

• Clubs can't pick and choose their leagues. UEFA aren't going to agree to this happening as if they do, it will give the green light to any rich Arab to buy a club anywhere in Europe and pay their way into some sort of hand picked super league. Although money is a massive deal in football, there are certain red lines and every single UEFA member would be against something like this happening as it would severely impact the sovereignty of the member nations.
  • No two UEFA members have so far expressed a willingness to share sovereignty over a mens league and there isn't much precedent for this happening.

The first point is going to be very very difficult to overcome as the implications are too difficult to navigate through given the implications it would have on football all over Europe.

The second however is not impossible to see through. There is no sort of will on both sides of the border on sharing a league right now but attitudes across Europe are changing a bit. Belgium and Holland have recently formed a women's league with UEFA approval that has allowed participation in European competitions and the proposals over joint men's leagues are becoming more serious. Russia had a proposal for some the ex Soviet states to merge their leagues together and there was a fair bit of popularity around the idea and UEFA were not as vocal against it as they had recently been (obviously the political turmoil has killed this but it does demonstrate changing attitudes) while there are several other proposals that come up yearly (the Czech-Slovak league is one) that don't seem to go away.

I don't think anything will happen soon but the best chance of Celtic and Rangers happening is a domino effect caused by changes in the continent. If other countries demonstrate successful models in how to keep most people happy and create money, it may change attitudes over here. There are ways I could think of integrating both league systems together (and even Wales) while getting most people on side but it just needs others who are a bit more willing to demonstrate it for support to build.

Where does Swansea and Cardiff fit into point two Harry?

Welsh association and league is still stand alone to the English FA / league structure but Wales' two biggest clubs ply their trade in another country's league..

Just a case of its always been that way?

Where does Swansea and Cardiff fit into point two Harry?

Welsh association and league is still stand alone to the English FA / league structure but Wales' two biggest clubs ply their trade in another country's league..

Just a case of its always been that way?

That's basically the case. There wasn't a Welsh national league until 1992 (and it was only really established because the FA were worried that UEFA would remove the associations European places) so before then, clubs would play in the English league set-up. When the league was established, there was the offer for the Welsh clubs playing in the English system to join (I think 6 did) but at the time, there was no obligation by a higher authority that said they had to.

There is a set rule that if you were playing in another countries league system before a certain year (I can't remember which year though) or before there was a professional league system in place, you are left alone. You'll find hundreds of obscure examples in Europe if you have a search about.

I don't think a club is allowed to change from one set-up to their natural county and then go back though. Gretna, for example, played in the English set-up and then switched back to Scotland but wouldn't have been allowed to switch back if they wanted to.

That's basically the case. There wasn't a Welsh national league until 1992 (and it was only really established because the FA were worried that UEFA would remove the associations European places) so before then, clubs would play in the English league set-up. When the league was established, there was the offer for the Welsh clubs playing in the English system to join (I think 6 did) but at the time, there was no obligation by a higher authority that said they had to.

There is a set rule that if you were playing in another countries league system before a certain year (I can't remember which year though) or before there was a professional league system in place, you are left alone. You'll find hundreds of obscure examples in Europe if you have a search about.

I don't think a club is allowed to change from one set-up to their natural county and then go back though. Gretna, for example, played in the English set-up and then switched back to Scotland but wouldn't have been allowed to switch back if they wanted to.

Berwick Rangers being another?

There's Berwick of course.

Adblock Detected