Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Terry Butcher

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Sacked for the sixth time. He does well to keep getting work.

Wonder if he regrets walking out on ICT.

It hasn't happened for him since he left ICT and he may well be kicking himself since they won the cup, that's as much as you can realistically achieve in Scottish football, a decent league position and a cup. I'm sure there are plenty managers out there who have been sacked more than 6 times, its the nature of the job. Some guys seem to 'fit' at clubs, I wouldn't write him off just yet. 

Some guys seem to 'fit' at clubs, I wouldn't write him off just yet. 

This is pretty much how I think of Butcher.

At Inverness, he took over as they were heading down a division and that gave him the freedom to work on a rebuild. His contacts got him a ton of players down south to look at and he seemed to be able to identify a lot of decent players who come without many expectations. The environment up there seems to be different from other places in the sense that they aren't really a huge footballing town and given how the club has very little top flight experience, the expectations aren't the same. It gives a manager the freedom to say to someone 'Look I think you are a very talented player and have the ability to play at a top level. You've spent the last few years of your career on emergency loans to English Conference teams but if you come here, we'll give you a two year deal and give you the opportunity to play top flight football and build your reputation'.

Hibs was a disaster as he entered them mid season and the relationship between the club and the fans was at an all time low. He inherited a large group of players that he didn't really have a personal relationship with and encountered a lack of professionalism in the dressing room and didn't get his approach right. He alienated too many of his players and never managed to get the confidence back when it was collapsing.

A quick look at the Newport County forum shows that there is quite a lot of infighting at the club and it looks like Butcher has arrived during an ownership change as the fans have taken over the club. A few have indicated that some results were a bit unlucky in certain games and there is a lot of talk about the whole team being injured. I can't comment on how much things were against him down there but football is just not a certain sport.

I'd say that there are certain clubs that would be wise to give consideration to him if the job opened up. Don't think he'd suit United very well though at the current moment but think Partick Thistle would be an ideal fit IMO.

Sacked for the sixth time. He does well to keep getting work.

Wonder if he regrets walking out on ICT.

Considering the success he had with ICT and his disasterous spell with Hibs, and then what folowed, I think he must go tae sleep greetin' every night !!

Adblock Detected