Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Some O' These Rugby Tackles ....and Other Things.

I know this Rugby Stuff is no' for everybody and I keep saying to myself, I am of the same mind.

However, over the years, when I happened to see it on TV, withoot hardly realising it, I've found myself getting sooked intae the gemme.

As I see it, it is fast, furious, hard, tough and pacy. The things that stand oot for me are .....When the ref makes a decision, there is no

any arguing or confrontation. They accept it and just get on with it. Whether it is a penalty given, a try NO given, a man sent off, a man

injured getting some quick treatment on pitch, tae temporarily "sew back on his heid" they seem tae say,  "Aye,let's get going again"

How they can survive some of these bone crushing tackles are beyond belief. And they are no adverse tae swinging a punch or two !!

Just tae make clear, football is the game I love. And DFC is meh team. But do you not think compared tonthese guys that are playing

regular rugby, some of these overpaid football playing prima donnas need to man up and start eaning their money. And oor respect ?

In other words "just get on with it"     Every football game we see mature fitba players acting like fools .... (like wee bairns in fact)

Celtic game last night was an example of players from both teams, barely touched, feigning a head injury. Game Stopped again !!

All above is of course, just my personal opinion :)

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

For quite a few years this was why I preferred the egg chasing, as a rugby player I thought the antics of football players was pathetic (still do). You can only speak to the Ref in a rugby game if either you're the team captain or he starts talking to you about an incident. While I'm not arsed about the game now, I still think football could learn a few things from rugby, as you say Gedee, the whole Ref 'thing' where players mob them could easily be stopped, the falling over holding faces ? That might take a bit longer.  :lol2:

:)

I was talking about exactly this after the Scotland game.

And there's little above that I don't agree with.

The thing being that the "fighting" with the ref's about decisions is endemic of the whole charade that football has become.

If players feel they can argue every decision made, then they will think they can 'simulate' in order to get decisions.

When a ref makes a decision, 11 players surrounding him will not change his mind. (Anyone ever seen it happen?)

"FOUL!"

"Come on Ref! He dived!"

"Oh yeah, so he did! Sorry!"

And players surrounding a ref who has made a decision they don't like, are players who are not playing the game, while their opposition takes the ball up the field and scores.

(Ring any bells...!?)  :(

Rugby 'also' shows that refereeing of games does not require to be viewed as sacrosanct and untouchable.

Rugby Referees openly discuss with the team's captain WHY they have made their decisions.

Should it be a televised game, those decisions are broadcast to all viewers/stadium.

It would not break the bank for Higher League teams to have a wireless headset for referees to make similar announcements.

(We already have the wireless network re: half time draws etc!)

The game has moved on immensely since its inception.

The overseeing of games needs hauled down and rebuilt.

Football Refereeing needs to be dragged (kicking and screaming if necessary) into the modern world - there is too much at stake (Financially/Career-wise etc) for it NOT to be.

We need decisions to be made, and made correctly, (4th official and TV replay)

But the players need to keep their noses out of it.

Gedee, we are seeing the odd dive in professional rugby with exaggerated effects of accidental collisions off the ball, and deliberate obstruction being disguised as walking about the pitch in front of the area where the ball will be passed, and front row tactics in the scrum that are designed to win penalties rather than restart the game. It's becoming a part of our game which at the highest level is being monitored because of all the TV replays and the third match official who is consulted. Play can be brought back to the scene of the crime and a decision can be made. 

Do you think football would benefit from such an approach?

I think the only rule changes needed to help football are to introduce a 10 minute ban instead of a yellow card for a deliberate foul, and the only player who can protest about the ref's decision is the captain who has three appeals available to him each half, a bit like the tennis players have for each set. each appeal should be on the basis that the ref consults all three other officials to see if they think he should change his decision. 

I think it's understandable that football and rugby are very different. Firstly, rugby is a very physical game. The rules mean you have to manhandle the opposition and you have to be stocky and strong to be effective. Therefore, you don't see much in the way of simulation. Secondly, football exploded in popularity around the world and we've been influenced by how other cultures play the game, e.g. excessive and dramatic diving from South America. Thirdly, there are often very high stakes in football such an enormous wages, so deceiving the referee can bring big rewards.

I do think its us fans that are being cheated, we pay good money to watch football at the level we play, players falling about all over the place and stealing a few yards (or more) at free kicks and throw ins etc, its ruining it I think. Give the linesmen the spray too, a wee skoosh to say "You take the throw in from here" would be easily enough do, the Ref could do it for the half that the Lino doesn't cover. Little things that could hopefully change things for the better.

Thanks for all your responses ........

Specifically to BCram, who asked me a question ..... Sorry my friend, I have no real answer. ( I suppose in some ways I was just making a general observation, in the way of trying to stimulate more posts/discussion)

Chomp the points you raised in your helpful posts seem valid to me. As most of you have probably gathered I don't know all the rules of Rugby .... but I do find mehsel' getting increasingly scunnered wi the antics o' professional football players.

Joe again, good ponts in your post. This nonsense aboot everyone harrassing the ref aboot some dubiousdecision is really pointless, as shown in your wee scenario.

Cobra, I do take the point that football and rugby are very different.   But at the end of the day ....pain is pain .... and simulation is just that !! :)

Not sure if it's the case in professional rugby, but when I played at school, if you got 'lippy' with the ref when he'd given a decision against you, he would give a 10 yard penalty against you, if you went mental at that, he'd bring it forward another 10 yards, fair to say i shut my p*ss for the rest of the game

Adblock Detected