Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Who Would You Pay To Watch?

barkblue

I keep reading from a lot of posters (not all) that we play TERRIBLE football, so slow, etc etc.

So, I'm intrigued, which Scottish team that we've seen this season would you suggest plays exciting attacking football that's worth the entrance money? For my money there are few, if any that are any better in terms of "entertaining football" than us (no saying we're great like, just making a comparison).

I honestly believe that too many lads watch Spanish/English football on the TV and expect boys who basically would never in a million years get near these leagues to serve up similar scintillating fare.

So, from what I've seen in the flesh... 

Ross Co - decent in spells, but hardly silky soccer, still one of the best though

Hearts - solid, but unspectacular - although good to watch for a 10 minute spell or so, but more about physicality

ICT - were awful

Well - awful

Killie - barely touched the ball the day we saw them, so no idea.

United - NOOOOOOOOOOO

St Johnstone - one good player on the day, but not great (although maybe they were on Saturday)

Aberdeen - on their day they can play some decent stuff to be fair

Haven't see Hamilton yet, didn't go to Partick or Celtic, so can't comment.

You know, in terms of football one of the better teams to watch we've played was Dunfermline. They passed and moved at least.

So the question is, if it is our awful football that is keeping people away in their droves (I agree that pricing is playing a huge part in it, but I'm forever reading a lot of folk saying the football they see us play is SO BAD it is keeping people away), then who would you rather watch?

Over and above that, when was the last time we were a genuinely good football team in terms of entertainment? I'd hazard a guess that some of the Bonetti era and before that Duffy with the McCann/Wieghorst side.

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Good post, I was at the Thistle game and while I didn't think they were fantastic, I thought they were pretty decent and tried to play right until the end, even when they were getting beat again on the back of a bad run. You're right though, there are no world beaters in the SPL, it is what it is and I've certainly seen us play a lot worse than we do now, at least we're trying to play good football. 

Actually thought Partick were half decent against us if not a bit naive. Celtic were brilliant against us while we were awful - recipe for disaster.

Ha Ha. The two games I wasn't at Mr G! Well played sir!

Seriously though, Celtic (on that day) aside, were Partick that good that you'd "pay to watch them" if you weren't a plastic whistle supporter?

I'm just finding it hard to believe that there might be people who either went to see us in the Championship, and expect us to now be the best football side in the league every week. The entertainment in Scotland can be good, but often the football is pretty poor and it's been that way for quite a while.

I'm beginning to think the KIllie game was a curse.

Edited by barkblue

Ha Ha. The two games I wasn't at Mr G! Well played sir!

Seriously though, Celtic (on that day) aside, were Partick that good that you'd "pay to watch them" if you weren't a plastic whistle supporter?

I'm just finding it hard to believe that there might be people who either went to see us in the Championship, and expect us to now be the best football side in the league every week. The entertainment in Scotland can be good, but often the football is pretty poor and it's been that way for quite a while.

I'm beginning to think the KIllie game was a curse.

You're right, I wouldn't go out of my way to pay to see them but when I was working in England I'd go and watch random games if I wasn't back home. I'd rather watch a live game if I can than sit and watch Jeff and the boys. There were times when I was working in Scotland but unable to make it if we were playing away and I'd go and watch Dumbarton or some west coast outfit. 

While I don't think there's any standout teams, I'd still rather go and watch a live game at 3 o'clock on a saturday. I've now cut back on some away games due to not being able to justify the expense but I'm more than happy to go and watch Rosyth Rec play, the prices are certainly enticing compared to the senior game.

You're right, I wouldn't go out of my way to pay to see them but when I was working in England I'd go and watch random games if I wasn't back home. I'd rather watch a live game if I can than sit and watch Jeff and the boys. There were times when I was working in Scotland but unable to make it if we were playing away and I'd go and watch Dumbarton or some west coast outfit. 

While I don't think there's any standout teams, I'd still rather go and watch a live game at 3 o'clock on a saturday. I've now cut back on some away games due to not being able to justify the expense but I'm more than happy to go and watch Rosyth Rec play, the prices are certainly enticing compared to the senior game.

I agree with you completely. My brother and I, many years ago, picked and chose games round Scotland to go watch (Raith beating a just relegated St Mirren 7-1 on opening day still sticks in the mind) and saw some great stuff, like lower league derbies etc. However we found it too difficult missing loads of Dundee games, so only did it for a season.

Last season I missed the Aberdeen cup game (the wrong one to miss, I know) to go down and see Leeds v Derby at Elland Rd - which was fantastic by the way. Great game and I thought it was well worth admission, although I wouldn't pay £30+ week in week out.

If I'm in the house on a Saturday, then it is Jeff and the boys alongside open all mics, but unlike most I seldom watch live football on the TV as I genuinely find it pretty boring, unless it's a World Cup or Euro Championship.

For as long as I can remember, Partick Thistle have tended to pass us off the park. They're one of the most enjoyable teams to watch in terms of being a neutral vs us, and we're quite lucky that they've tended to be quite toothless as if their play was reflected in goals they'd hammer us!

Don't know why they struggle so badly as they always play nice stuff when we play them.

For as long as I can remember, Partick Thistle have tended to pass us off the park. They're one of the most enjoyable teams to watch in terms of being a neutral vs us, and we're quite lucky that they've tended to be quite toothless as if their play was reflected in goals they'd hammer us!

Don't know why they struggle so badly as they always play nice stuff when we play them.

Maybe because "nice stuff" tends not to get results in a league of cloggers? 

(not calling us cloggers by the way...!)

Adblock Detected