Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Could Not & Would Not, Ever Accept An Almagamation Of The Two City Teams ....but,

Gedee

If both sets of fans and supporters had a Total Nervous Breakdown and we decided this was the only way to go,

(And I know it would never happen. And as stated, emphatically above, I could never, ever, accept it happening)

Would it in the longer term mean.......

Bigger Income, Bigger Crowds, Quality Football ? Real competion for Top Premiership Spot & Eurropean Places?

Aberdeen FC, as a One City Club, showed they might break the  Celtic hold on the Premiership (least for a while)

The question is, in the very long term could a ONE CITY CLUB produce a stronger team?

Just treat  this topic, as me just passing the time on a Quiet Forum. Ignore it, if you wish.

Or even see it as an absolute possibility, as the ither lot just simply fade away to obscurity.

But either way, mind the question is NOT about whether you would accept the proposition.

Jings tho' wid it no' just be great to see the ither lot go ....."doon, doon, deeper and doon"

Even now, the opportunity is here for DFC & the New BOD to put down it's marker. Do It !!

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Both teams tho we hate to admit it are in the modern game about as big as mid table English league 1 teams like Swindon, Doncaster, Leyton Orient etc. We get about the same crowds, dregs of money, quality of player.

There are too many teams in Scotland for it's population. Dundee, The Highlands, Angus, Stirlingshire/Falkirk and Fife would all benefit from having one bigger team, but obviously it'll never happen, nor would I want it to happen to us.

f**k united. They are vermin.

Wattie .....I was no suggesting we should awe join up together as one big happy family     .Maybe my post wisnae very clear.

In meh usual roond aboot way (jist tae try tae get a wee discussion going) all I wis really asking was, if we were the ONLY club in the city, would it make any difference at all, on a consistent basis to our finance,crowds, quality, competitiveness ?  Or would everything be, mair or less, as it is now, a wee bit up & doon ?

It is no beyond the realm of possibility, that the ither lot are starting a slippery, sloping slide, and will soon enter the world of the non-entitities :)

To answer your question, yes to everything. Bigger Income, bigger crowds, better quality football. better real competition for top premiership spot & European places.

It is a bit obvious. Both Dundee and United were created by either mergers of competing teams or from the ashes of others. Both have gone from being local or regional teams at best to national teams. There is little in economics, sport, or psychology to suggest that the same thing wouldn't happen with a single Dundee City team.

I am always a bit flummoxed when I hear people saying that they would never want the teams to merge. That view is both selfish and short-sighted in my opinion. I'm sure someone will come on and explain, calmly and convincingly, why it is a bad idea. I look forward to it and would be happy to change my view if the arguments stack up.

The strongest argument for merging, in my view, is that one or other of the current clubs is only a few bad decisions away from complete collapse. If we could be sustained as two teams with little risk of bankruptcy, then, why not have two teams. It is great entertainment. But I love my city as much as I love my club and I don't want to see it go through the trauma of involuntarily losing one of its teams. A managed merger is a much better prospect. There will be some who will boldly state that they would never go to watch a merged team, I'm sure. But only a tiny minority of those would actually follow through on the threat.

You certainly appear to  have given some thought to your answer here andrak. And I hope there is enough points in your response to roll things along.

In theory it would seem to follow if there was only ONE team representing the City, then all the above would follow...from bigger crowds to mair money.

Personally, I would prefer if we were to reach the situation of a "One City Club" this happened, because of the total demise of the ither club altogether.

(I'm sure the majority from the dark side would happlily wish the same on us) The idea of no more Derbys would not be an issue in the circumstances.

Were this to take place, because of a situation of financial reasons (unable to financially sustain two top clubs, or for increasing overall financial income)

I think/know, I am far too old to accept an amalgamation in my lifetime.  But I could understand a new generation, born into this situation accepting this.

We can discuss this in this post. But as said, the topic here  is more about, if City had only one club, would we then be in a better place to compete ?

If we had gone down the tubes back in the bad old days, there would have been a generation or two of dundonians going to NO local "dundee team" games.

That, unfortunately, would eventually be countered by new generations looking to support *the* local team, while the rest of us slowly seethed, hated, and then died off.

Within about 20 years we would have been a footnote in local history, while *the other* gained support by simple passage of time.

BUT

If we had gone down the tubes, and a certain other team had changed their name, I would probably have supported them. UNLESS they played in Orange.

Never support United.

Never be a Tangy.

Should, on some sad day, the two clubs be forced to merge, same rules apply.

Dundee City? I'd support them.

Play in Orange? Then I wouldn't.

(Just seen Andrak's post stating "There will be some who will boldly state that they would never go to watch a merged team, I'm sure. But only a tiny minority of those would actually follow through on the threat."   Which I suppose I am agreeing with... but only in context and with the addendums above! I dont think ANY Dee would EVER support a Dundee team with United in the title... and/or also not if they wore Orange... no matter what the circumstances.)

Isn't it funny, that it's now the neighbours looking down the barrel...

What a difference a year or two makes!

(A warning from history!)

As for the "being able to compete" question.

Logic alone dictates, that once the flak from whatever catastrophe that saw Dundee having one team, died down.

There would then (eventually) be a core of around 10,000 fans for whatever was left behind.

Then, they could complete.

This is a non starter for me, If the two clubs were to merge that would be it for me, I wouldn't support Dundee City. Not because I am pig headed or a snob, it's because that club is not the one I would have grown up with and supported all my life (Fouth gen Dee and my Kids are fifth).

Being a Dee is never easy, you just never know what you're going to get supporting them, the highs are always followed by the lows (Which have been more frequent over the last 15 years) and it would take one man and a donkey cart to carry me away from this. It's bad enough having to watch some players ply their trade at Dens with tangy boots, there is no way in hell I will support any team that parades around in Darkblue and Tangy coloured anything. I would rather watch Forfar or Arbroath every week.

Lets face it, there isn't anyone who doesn't like a good Derby, getting one over one of your Arab mates after they get beat, either from us or someone else. Love nothing more revelling in their misery (Like right now) when they're bottom of the league and manager-less and couldn't score in a brothel. Watching all those smug smiles being wiped off their faces one by one as they realise that they are no longer the world famous, Tayside famous and in fact, they're not even famous at all. WE are about to overtake them as the number one club in Dundee and I must admit.... it feels fucking great!

In all honesty, I wouldn't mind seeing those smug b******s in the championship for a couple of years, because you know their support would drop quicker than them heading out the stands before half-time.

To me the rot started for DFC in 1975 when we were relegated from the original Premier League, it just all went down hill rapidly then it was a continual up and down the Leagues. Still can't believe we survived the two administrations but thanks to the fans here we are pushing on through with a new team and competing at last (forget Celtic).

As for merging, Satan will be ice skating to work that morning. But I would share a stadium with utd in the future.

To me the rot started for DFC in 1975 when we were relegated from the original Premier League, it just all went down hill rapidly then it was a continual up and down the Leagues. Still can't believe we survived the two administrations but thanks to the fans here we are pushing on through with a new team and competing at last (forget Celtic).

As for merging, Satan will be ice skating to work that morning. But I would share a stadium with utd in the future.

I have no issues ground sharing with them, in fact would make perfect business sense for both clubs to do this.

Adblock Detected