Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

The League Cup Format

Edin_Dee

Set to be changed from next season and will include group stages and regionalisation with the first few games to take place in July before the season starts. Is this a good thing? Will it increase attendances?

Personally I think it is going to result in the league cup having even less interest. Teams are more likely to treat the games as a pre-season friendly and if this happens then you can expect similar attendances to those at real friendlies.

As for the regionalisation that is a disaster of an idea. I don't think playing Forfar and Brechin every season is going to excite the fans. They will bring up more Derbies but even they lose their edge when you are playing United 5 times in a season. The best part of the cup is the chance to play a team you might not have played in years.

If these proposals go through I give it three years before it is scrapped and returned to the original format.

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Set to be changed from next season and will include group stages and regionalisation with the first few games to take place in July before the season starts. Is this a good thing? Will it increase attendances?

Personally I think it is going to result in the league cup having even less interest. Teams are more likely to treat the games as a pre-season friendly and if this happens then you can expect similar attendances to those at real friendlies.

As for the regionalisation that is a disaster of an idea. I don't think playing Forfar and Brechin every season is going to excite the fans. They will bring up more Derbies but even they lose their edge when you are playing United 5 times in a season. The best part of the cup is the chance to play a team you might not have played in years.

If these proposals go through I give it three years before it is scrapped and returned to the original format.

I agree this is likely to ruin the competition but it won't result in us playing United 5 times a season  ;)

I'm happy enough with regional leagues for the League Cup, it should generate a bit more interest with derbies and cut down on travel, winner, winner, chicken dinner. Now we just have to convince the SPL to up the number of clubs to 16 or 18 so we only play each other home and away once a season, that will make the League Cup more relevant with its derbies.  :D

Best way to do it would be to seed the draws. So for example based on last seasons league standings...

North East section would have...

Pot 1 - Dundee, Dundee United, Ross Co, Falkirk, Raith

Pot 2 - Cowdenbeath, Livi, Dunfermline, Alloa, Brechin

Pot 3 - Peterhead, Stenhousemuir, Stirling, East Fife, Elgin

Pot 4 - Montrose, Forfar, Abroath, East Stirling, Brora

South West

Pot 1 - Hamilton, Partick, St Mirren, Motherwell, Kilmarnock

Pot 2 - Hearts, Hibs, QOS, Rangers, Dumbarton

Pot 3 - Morton, Ayr, Airdrie, Stranraer, Albion

Pot 4 - Queens Park, Annan, Berwick, Clyde, Edinburgh City

If the 4 European qualified teams were given a bye then the pots could look something like this. The inclusion of the highland and lowland league winners (Edinburgh and Brora) could be used to even out the groups. That way it kind of keeps it interesting by keeping the possibility of facing different teams and keeps sides in the same league apart. Obviously which teams are placed into which half of the draw could be up for debate (I kind of tried to split it going by the forth river as a guide).

Edited by Mr Gandosaur

This IS the original format. The last 30-odd years of it have been utter p*sh.

Personally, I have the complete opposite view to yours....for a few reasons.

• We have our clubs in the European qualifiers struggling with match fitness, playing competitive LC games before those qualifiers will help them.
  • Most clubs not in Europe end up playing a few local sides in pre-season, now they'll have some additional purpose.
  • Playing 6-8 LC group games before the leagues start will mean teams will be up to full fitness, new players integrated.
  • Clubs will have less midweek games in the LC in "winter" if these early LC games replace pre-season games.
  • The SFA might be able to introduce a winter break.
  • Regionalising the first part will save small clubs (& their fans) having lengthy trips to away games, and their crowds might actually rise.
  • If the regions are done sensibly, each group will have a couple of very interesting derbies early in the season, at various levels.

...and finally....

• The OF could be made to meet twice in the group stage, thus paving the way for the desired bigger premier league, playing each other just twice, and still meeting TV demands for 4 OF games a season.

Mr Gandosaur, on 15 Oct 2015 - 2:57 PM, said:

Best way to do it would be to seed the draws. So for example based on last seasons league standings...

South West

If the 4 European qualified teams were given a bye then the pots could look something like this. The inclusion of the highland and lowland league winners (Edinburgh and Brora) could be used to even out the groups. That way it kind of keeps it interesting by keeping the possibility of facing different teams and keeps sides in the same league apart. Obviously which teams are placed into which half of the draw could be up for debate (I kind of tried to split it going by the forth river as a guide).

You weren't smoking behind the toilets during geography classes, were you....?  :huh:  

Ross county are one of the last sides you'd ever want in a Tayside section

Brora in with East Stirling?

Edinburgh in south-west?

Aberdeen, ICT, County, Peterhead, Elgin, Cove Rangers or Brora = highland section

You weren't smoking behind the toilets during geography classes, were you....?  :huh:  

Edinburgh in south-west?

Aberdeen, ICT, County, Peterhead, Elgin, Cove Rangers or Brora = highland section

Much like the English Vanarama North/South leagues there will have to be a bit of flexibility on the groups however they divvy them up, some teams might end up in different groups in different seasons and some would always be in the same one.

I think they probably would lump the Highland teams in with the likes of ourselves and Aberdeen.

Personally I like the idea of the early regional split. Whether it would make the tournament more interesting and exciting with better crowds I'm not sure. No harm in trying it for a couple of seasons.

I think they probably would lump the Highland teams in with the likes of ourselves and Aberdeen.

Personally I like the idea of the early regional split. Whether it would make the tournament more interesting and exciting with better crowds I'm not sure. No harm in trying it for a couple of seasons.

That's how I see it, nothing really to lose, the early rounds aren't exactly huge draws unless you get a derby, good on the SFA for giving it a shot, we sl*g them for doing hee haw so credit where its due for giving it a crack.

Edinburgh in south-west?

As I said - I was basing it on last years standings. The proposal is for the sides in European action to get a bye - therefor Aberdeen and Inverness wouldn't be in the draw. 

Like I said, I drew the line at the forth so yes, Edinburgh would be "south" - (Although I threw Livi in the North to balance it out). 

It's very difficult to divide 38 league teams into even numbered groups and pots and have them spot on geographically. That's why I threw in the 2 non-league sides to even it up to 2 sections of 20. 

And FWIW - Hibernian and Edinburgh city were in the south-west section of the Challenge cup draw this season. 

South West

Ross County?? - you kiddin??? regionalised???

Adblock Detected