Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Dundee’S Kevin Holt Feeling At Home In Dark Blue

JoeCovenant

Kevin Holt’s big worry when he moved from Queen of the South to Dundee was whether the dressing-room would be as together as the one he’d grown up with in Dumfries.

The Dark Blues left-back knew within days any fears were unfounded.

It’s less than three months into the season but already the 22-year-old feels right at home at Dens Park.

He thanks not just his team-mates, but manager Paul Hartley and his staff for that.

“It’s good to challenge yourself and take the step up to the Premiership, and coming here has given me the chance to do that,†said Holt.

“A lot of us coming up from the Championship have done well and I have to credit the manager for that.

“First and foremost he makes you feel you deserve to be here, and the boys have been great as well.

“It would be easy to come here and feel overshadowed by Premiership players and boys who’ve played in England, the likes of Kevin Thomson.

“But you come in and you feel really welcome in the dressing-room and from the management staff.

“It means you settle quickly and that’s good because I was worried.

“I’d been at Queens for a few years and most of the boys had as well. We were really a good group.

11074727.jpg-e1443016618140-820x575.jpg?Kevin Holt congratulates Rory Loy earlier in the season

“We lost a few managers over time but it was always a tight group. So when you move you are a bit worried it won’t be the same, and this was my first move as well. But it has been good here.â€

That togetherness has to be a factor in what’s been a decent start to the season. He adds there’s been plenty hard work as well. At times fans might be surprised at what that entails.

During the interview, Holt is getting his breath back from a sprint session with coach Tam Ritchie.

It might be too late to be the next Usain Bolt but he is convinced he’s reaping the benefits.

“It’s just some sprint training to help your speed over 20 metres.

“A few boys do tests every so often to see who’s progressing and it’s just a wee bit extra to help speed you up.

“A lot of it is technique. Tam Ritchie gets us to start like we’re sprinters, it’s to get your mindset to running properly.

“Obviously, in a game it’s a bit different but it gets you into the technique.

“I had some flaws in my running and it was down to technique.

“With the taller boys we seem to slouch a bit and he’s sorting that.

“I don’t know how much time it takes off but it seems to help. It definitely saves energy as well because if your running is wrong you are wasting it. It can add up over the 90 minutes.â€

His winner from a free-kick against Motherwell last time out showed there’s little wrong with his technique when he strikes a ball. Now the aim is another three points when Dundee travel to the Steelmen’s Lanarkshire rivals Hamilton.

With both teams picking up regular wins, Holt’s expecting a good game.

“It should be because we are both going well just now.

“I think right at the start of the season they seemed to struggle but they’ve picked up now.

“We’ve been picking up wins but I feel we could be a bit further up than we are.

“We’ve done OK but when you look back at certain games we could have picked up more points.

“We are not going to be too critical of ourselves but when we do look back and analyse games there are some we could have had more from.â€

View the full article

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
  • Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Adblock Detected