Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Midfield

Bobby123

Yesterday was my first away game of the season.

We were extremely lucky to get anything out of the game- our central midfield was anonymous.

I watched Ross closely - I don't think he touched the ball in the first 30 minutes-anyone watched the game again-have a look.

Hawkins put a few tackles in and was the only one to win a header.

Nicky Low was the game changer-when he came on any support Holt had been getting from Calder disappeared -low was caught out of position virtually every time they broke.

No surprise the danger from that side and that's where the goal came from.

I thought the back 4 did a good job.

Bain looks half the keeper he was la St season-poor yesterday -would not come for crosses.

Unless we can get a bit of dig alongside Harkins I think we will struggle to stay in the top 6.

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

McGowan. Completely different midfield when he plays.

Yet not rated by some on here who would prefer players like Ross.

Wasn't there but there is a chance it may have been a different game with Thomson and McGowan in there.  Maybe not.  I rate Ross as well but his forte is not centre mid in a 4-4-2 imo.

Never been a fan of our midfield.

Lacks pace /  lacks strength / lacks balance imo.

Calder has at least added a bit pace , would hope next season that we revamp our midfield.

Ross is another nice wee tippy tappy passer of ball but i dont see him taking a game by scruff of the neck - we`ve to mny wanting to do slow passing play IMO

Killie next week won't be so accommodating as they were last time we met.

I expect them to be all over us like a rash.

Unless our team press the ball and play at a higher tempo, then I'm not expecting us to do much.

I can't understand why Hartley can't get a good 90 minutes out of them just now, I keep expecting the team to really get stuck in, yet we continue to be slow in the build up, weak in the tackle and poor in the 50-50s.

Hoping for a big and continued improvement.

Killie next week won't be so accommodating as they were last time we met.

I expect them to be all over us like a rash.

Unless our team press the ball and play at a higher tempo, then I'm not expecting us to do much.

I can't understand why Hartley can't get a good 90 minutes out of them just now, I keep expecting the team to really get stuck in, yet we continue to be slow in the build up, weak in the tackle and poor in the 50-50s.

Hoping for a big and continued improvement.

They've definitely improved but we are at home and hopefully we'll have at least Thomson, McPake and Hemmings back fit and available for selection.

If we play like we can, get our foot on the ball and move it at pace, I expect us to beat them.

Can't imagine their defence will be able to cope with us attacking on song. Fully expecting the roughest treatment yet for Greg Stewart. He ripped them apart on day one and they'll be out for revenge.

Ross has had some very good games for us but I thought he was our worst midfielder on Saturday. Can't remember him doing anything at all. Nobody in midfield to put tackles in, in fact a severe lack of tackling throughout the team, we just seem to shadow players and back off

Ross has had some very good games for us but I thought he was our worst midfielder on Saturday. Can't remember him doing anything at all. Nobody in midfield to put tackles in, in fact a severe lack of tackling throughout the team, we just seem to shadow players and back off

I reckon it's in his head a bit and partially down to continuity. In the opening games, we got to see his technical ability in action and despite a couple of sitter misses, he was delivering some clever passes and seemed to have the vision to find himself in the right place at the right time.

Since teams have started to be a lot more physical against him, it seems he's a bit more restricted in how he roams around the park and he doesn't seem as creative. Thomson is also very very influential in the role he plays (you don't really see it when he's not there) as a deep lying playmaker and compliments Ross very well but we were missing that on Saturday.

It isn't ideal right now but Holt, Julen, Ross, Low, Hemmings and maybe even McGinn have got a bit of growing to do still.

Next summer window though should be used to add some proper physicality to the midfield. The technically good footballers in the side exist and it just needs something to tie it together a bit. We play a very fluid system that is actually intended to be very attacking but it is construed as negative at times because we have to make more conservative changes to see games out as other teams would normally make. The good thing the management team have done is sign good footballers (that's the strategy that is more likely to net you a big transfer fee) but it's come with it's drawbacks. I think you've got to go for good footballers (like we've done) but also get the negative side of the game sorted too.

Jackson Irvine, who went to Ross County, was available in the summer and would have fit the bill perfectly. Big physical unit at 6ft 2 but actually got some sort of playing ability too. Inverness picked up Tansey and Draper who are both big strong players (especially Draper) and can play a bit from England's League Two (by actually luring them up there instead of them being released). I'd be actively looking in England and Scotland for a couple of players like that now (and I'd like to think Hartley is doing that as he's known for his early planning) as these small tweaks would make an astronomical difference to our team right now. It sounds negative but making these sorts of signings will compliment the good work we've already done and the right sorts of players do exist.

A bit more presence and balance in midfield would improve our defence so much as well IMO. As much as we find errors in the back line, the amount of pressure on them is very high and is the main issue.

One way we're unbalanced is we have a team full of "nice" players who just want to play football. Trust me, I do not want a team full of "Goodwins", but we are constantly nudged off the ball then screaming for a foul. Even when we play tougher teams like ICT and Hearts, we invariably end up with more bookings than them. Imrie and McKinnon had cards for stupidity but in open play we had 2 players booked unnecessarily. Not sure what the answer is but it happens every week. 

Adblock Detected