Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Countdown To January

Deefiant

Couple of months until the window opens now - wondering how we see our window going?

For me our squad lacks sufficient depth at the moment to sustain a top 6 push this season, especially in light of the physical fragility of a number of our players. That said I have no idea what the budgets are like and if there is even room to get someone in without offloading players.

For me there is 1 player I feel we should definitely be looking at signing or getting in on loan if it's do-able (which it probably isn't for financial reasons anyway). It will be controversial but I am focusing purely on playing ability and pedigree at this level. That person is a certain Anthony Stokes. :popcorn:

This is a player who is still just 27 and can cover any of our 4 attacking slots (either wing, AMC and Striker) and would be better than most of our options in each position. He is completely out the picture at Celtic, wedged behind Griffiths, Cole and Ciftci and not nearly getting a sniff in amongst the Johansens/Commons etc further back.

Stumbling blocks are clearly financial - he'll be on far more at Celtic than we can ever dream of so a loan deal is probably not favourable as Celtic will likely want him completely off the wage bill (maybe even enough to release him?) and it's unlikely we could meet his personal demands as a permanent signing so it may be a complete no-hoper but no harm in Hartley using his Celtic connection to ask the question for me. 6 months in the shop window to get some English clubs interested in him again?

Anyone else you lot fancy?

I'd love a pre contract offer for Souttar tbf..... :stirthepot:

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Couple of months until the window opens now - wondering how we see our window going?

For me our squad lacks sufficient depth at the moment to sustain a top 6 push this season, especially in light of the physical fragility of a number of our players. That said I have no idea what the budgets are like and if there is even room to get someone in without offloading players.

For me there is 1 player I feel we should definitely be looking at signing or getting in on loan if it's do-able (which it probably isn't for financial reasons anyway). It will be controversial but I am focusing purely on playing ability and pedigree at this level. That person is a certain Anthony Stokes. :popcorn:

This is a player who is still just 27 and can cover any of our 4 attacking slots (either wing, AMC and Striker) and would be better than most of our options in each position. He is completely out the picture at Celtic, wedged behind Griffiths, Cole and Ciftci and not nearly getting a sniff in amongst the Johansens/Commons etc further back.

Stumbling blocks are clearly financial - he'll be on far more at Celtic than we can ever dream of so a loan deal is probably not favourable as Celtic will likely want him completely off the wage bill (maybe even enough to release him?) and it's unlikely we could meet his personal demands as a permanent signing so it may be a complete no-hoper but no harm in Hartley using his Celtic connection to ask the question for me. 6 months in the shop window to get some English clubs interested in him again?

Anyone else you lot fancy?

I'd love a pre contract offer for Souttar tbf..... :stirthepot:

The thing is Deefiant ..... If you dinnae set your sights high, you can end up going backwords.

Although the ither side o' the coin is, if we raise our expectations too high and start splashing oot too much, jings meh freend, we might end up bankrupt !!

Guess it's never going to happen though. But credit to yourself for putting forward a good, balanced case and pointing oot the reasons behind your thinking.

Whit aboot oor defence. Nothing against yir idea above (just big doubts about it coming to fruition) Should we no be at this time, strengthening oor defence ?

Not really too keen on someone like Stokes mainly because I don't see it as financially viable (I've heard estimates from £15-30k for his wages) so even if he was to give us a little boost, I see it as pretty unlikely that it would be to an extent where we'd break even.

Priority number one should be to retain Calder and Healey (not that I've seen much of him but we definitely need him as an attacking option) until the summer (or even beyond). I actually think the current squad will sustain top 6 well this season as although we're capable of taking a thumping, we are pretty good at picking up points consistently and this squad is a bit better than last seasons. 

After that, I think we should be looking on long term and putting thought into what sort of changes we'll be making in the summer. There is the prospect that Thomson will move on and even if he doesn't, I think he'll be becoming back-up so I think we need to start the hunt for a ball winning and ball playing midfielder who can come in and add a bit of bite into the team. English clubs in the top flight will likely be deciding on their young players futures so it's quite likely that there will be players available from there who we can take in until the end of the season and evaluate. We brought over Gadzhalov in early January last year and although it hasn't been a massive success so far, there will be other players like him who are keen to come over here and sign short term so we might come up with someone who is worth a shot until the end of the season.

January isn't really a time for much business and I don't think we'll have the budget to do it. Since we're looking pretty safe, I'd be wary of spending much more than we are now.

The big question will be in the close end of the season when the manager has to decide on Irvine, Konrad, Thomson, McGowan, McGinn, Gadzhalov and Harkins.

The Sunday Times has us linked with a £75,000 move for East Fife's striker Nathan Austin.

I watched him in pre-season and he was very good but thought he was way older than he is (21) so never really gave him a second thought. Very fast and seemed to be bringing others into the game drifting from out wide to inside and dragging players all over the pitch. I thought he was a wider forward but he seems to have been playing centrally and has netted 9 in 14 this season. He never scored in the game I was at but he stood out quite a bit.

Would be a signing for the future which is great but also need to look at getting the balance of the squad fixed.

I wonder if this might play out as this boy joining us in January and then being loaned out to Raith to replace Wighton there. Also maybe done with the prospect of Stewart attracting a bit of interest at the end of the season (Rangers or English Championship is a shout I reckon).

Adblock Detected