Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Match Preview Thread - ICT Away (31/10/15)

Boba Fett

A week is a long time in football. Well let’s bloody hope so!

Let’s pray it’s more than long enough for every Dee to consign last Saturday’s performance and result to the history books by the time we take to the field against Inverness Caley Thistle this coming Saturday.

Dundee’s showing against Kilmarnock at Dens last time out was one of the most frustrating home defeats of Paul Hartley’s tenure in the dugout so far. Anybody who was there to witness Dundee’s performance would testify to that!

If the experimental starting line up incorporating four strikers, the surprise inclusion of Darryl Meggatt at the heart of the Dark Blues defence and only two recognised midfield players wasn’t enough to baffle the home supporters on Saturday, the lack of any sort of coherent football from Dundee in the first 70 minutes of the game sealed the deal!

Losing the match 2-1 in the style that we did meant it truly was a day to forget for the manager, supporters and all of the players.

In the days following Saturday’s horror show, the Dark Blue's fans have shown the first real signs of beginning to lose the faith (even just a little) with Hartley and the team. Hairline cracks are beginning to show in the Dark Blue armour and in the main it’s not due to a depression setting in over the quality of our squad.

The managers recent tactics, team selections and apparent inability to learn from repeat mistakes means he is now coming under the most intense scrutiny he’s had from the Dundee support during his stewardship.

As always in football, there is one perfect tonic that will right most wrongs almost immediately – Win football matches. Starting on Saturday!

Simply put, the Dee have got to get this season back on track and start to live up to some of the early promise we showed back in August (It seems like a lifetime ago!) A trip to play Icey tea in the Highlands is never an easy game nowadays and they will be smarting from being dumped out of the League Cup by their most disagreeable Teuchtar neighbours on Tuesday night.

John Hughes’ side have had a disappointing start to their league campaign by their own recent standards. The Scottish Cup holders have lost their way a little since selling off (or losing) the family silver. Graeme Shinnie has moved on to Aberdeen and Ryan Christie has been sold to Celtic; although they have had the decency to loan him back to his boyhood club before he embarks upon the next stage of his career involving getting splinters wedged into his ar** sitting next to Scott Allan on the Septic bench.

From a Dundee perspective, we need to get back to basics, back to working hard and back to playing in a sensible and relatively simple way please PH. We beg you to take a leaf from Mike Bassett’s book, come out from the shadows at Saturday lunch time and announce to the world that “we’re playing four, four, fu***n, two!â€

Given some of our recent escapades, Saturday’s team selection will be waited on with bated breath.

The good news for Dundee is that we are starting to see a return to fitness for most of our recent absentee’s. We have been badly lacking aggression and leadership in the middle of the park so a return to the match day squad for Paul McGowan, Nicky Low and Kevin Thomson should hopefully reinvigorate the link between our leaky defence and service starved attack if they are used effectively.

To the annoyance of most Dees, Riccardo Calder was left out against Killie. Surely he has to be in with a shout of starting in the Highlands as well?

Sadly, We’ll not be seeing Julen on Saturday. The injury he sustained against Hamilton a fortnight ago will be keeping him out of the team for at least another two weeks.

C’mon Dundee.. Let’s get this show back on the road. Silence the doubters and make all well with the world again.

My prediction:

Head says: A hard fought draw against the hardest hitting cloggers I’ve seen this season.

Heart says:  A glorious return to form for the Dee with a 3-1 victory (Even in my dreams we don’t keep a clean sheet)

Game Details:

Competition: Ladbrokes SPFL Premiership

Venue: Tulloch Caledonian Stadium

Date: Saturday 31st October 2015

Kick Off: 15:00 (3.00pm)

Ticket Prices:

Adults:                                                                        £21

Concessions (Over 65’s and 16 – 25 year olds)        £16

Under 16’s                                                                  £10

Good news if you look 25!

Stats Vs Inverness

This will be only the 21st meeting of Dundee and Inverness Caley Thistle. Frankly our record against them is woeful (sign of recent times I suppose)

League:

Dundee wins:       1      

ICT wins:              7

Draws:                  8

Scottish Cup:

ICT wins:              0

Draws:                  0      

League Cup:

ICT wins:              1      

Challenge Cup

ICT wins:              0

Last Match:

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Excellent Match preview Boba ......

And it's reasonable to point out some supporters (including myself) were beginninig to question our own positive assessment of PH capabilities.

Maybe I've overestimated what he could/would, bring to DFC, or at least expected too much ... too quickly. But that's one good thing aboot fitba,

and specifically when it comes to supporting DFC, we can hit rock bottom one week, but in the same way we can jist aboot convince oorselves,

come next Saturday.....well be back in business (Admittedly, if ye support the ither lot,it does become much harder) Maybe even impossible :lol2:

It's true ICT will be hurtin bady .... But 'cause ehm feeling positive again, eh'm hoping that rather be in a fightin' mood, they' be demoralised, and

DFC will get back to the fighting form, that we all know they are capable of.  Take the long trip tae inverness, & come back wi awe the points :)

Excellent Match preview Boba ......

And it's reasonable to point out some supporters (including myself) were beginninig to question our own positive assessment of PH capabilities.

Maybe I've overestimated what he could/would, bring to DFC, or at least expected too much ... too quickly. But that's one good thing aboot fitba,

and specifically when it comes to supporting DFC, we can hit rock bottom one week, but in the same way we can jist aboot convince oorselves,

come next Saturday.....well be back in business (Admittedly, if ye support the ither lot,it does become much harder) Maybe even impossible :lol2:

It's true ICT will be hurtin bady .... But 'cause ehm feeling positive again, eh'm hoping that rather be in a fightin' mood, they' be demoralised, and

DFC will get back to the fighting form, that we all know they are capable of.  Take the long trip tae inverness, & come back wi awe the points :)

Your right Gedee.. I've convinced myself that we'll be world beaters again on Saturday already!

I'm hoping for a draw to steady the ship after that painful defeat at Dens, although it would be great to get our first ever win at ICT. There can't be many senior grounds in Scotland where Dundee have never won.

Is this right ???? I know we've been gash up there but I didn't know we'd never won.  :o I've got a good feeling for saturday although I'll not be going, poverty and the sister in laws birthday (somehow we can afford to go out for tapas though  :angry: ) mean its not practical. Shame I'll miss the 2 nil victory up there..... :ph34r:

Is this right ???? I know we've been gash up there but I didn't know we'd never won.  :o I've got a good feeling for saturday although I'll not be going, poverty and the sister in laws birthday (somehow we can afford to go out for tapas though  :angry: ) mean its not practical. Shame I'll miss the 2 nil victory up there..... :ph34r:

Since the Challenge Cup final at McDiarmid Farm our record against them is W0 D5 L6. :( 

I am not confident at all. Will be amazed if we score two goals without reply on Saturday. If that happens I'll pick up the tab for your tapas meal!

Since the Challenge Cup final at McDiarmid Farm our record against them is W0 D5 L6. :(

I am not confident at all. Will be amazed if we score two goals without reply on Saturday. If that happens I'll pick up the tab for your tapas meal!

While my record of predictions is sh*t (just ask Mr William Hill), don't go making any bold statements like that, I'm one big fat greedy bassa, especially on someone else's tab.  :lol2:

Starting line up for me should be:

Key factors -

Pretty much a straight 4-4-2 (at least to begin with) with the objective of keeping a clean sheet. The only chance we have of winning up there is to make sure we are In the game as long as possible without conceding. Possibly a negative outlook but we have to start being realistic with ambition vs capability!

Calder back in on the left wing to provide support to Holt and width in attack.

Low and Thomson sitting deeper as a pair to make sure we are protecting the back four and moving the ball quickly out of defence.

McGowan on the right hand side. Not his ideal position but we need his energy and determination to chase and fight for every ball.

Loy and Stewart to start as a pair up top with Hemmings and Healey available from the bench if required to make an impact / replace tired legs.

Meggat out, Konrad in.

Harkins to sit this one out for me.

If KT isn't fit.. Low and Gowser in the deeper midfield roles with Ross on the right.

Away from home against ICT, we must play a more conservative set up, with a proper midfield.

4-4-2 for me with Calder providing width on the left and cover for Holt.

As a few others have said, right mid is a problem, as whoever of the other mids we play there, will be dragged inside.  This has been a problem for a season and a half now

- remember McGinn playing right mid at Partick last season?

If KT is fit, he plays - with either McGowan and or Low alongside him, preferably McGowan.  Ross is not the best defensively (right mid) but still better than Stewart, so might get the shout there.

Stewart and either Loy/Hemmings up front.

That's what I'm thinking just now Boba.  Ross is being asked to do a job at right mid and maybe, just maybe Harkins for Low but that's about the best we could put out.

Agreed.. Starting Theee strikers tomorrow would be folly IMO.

Two holding mids, 2 wide players, 2 strikers and a patchwork defence.

Let's see how we go.. :o

Adblock Detected