Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

What Formation Should Paul Hartley Stick With?

TheDarkBlues

The right formation?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. What formation should Paul Hartley stick with?

• 4-2-3-1
    • 4-4-2
    • 4-3-3
    • 4-5-1
    • 3-5-2
    • 4-1-2-1-2
    • 4-2-1-3

I have stolen this from the Eve Telegraph:

http://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/2015/10/28/paul-hartley-must-find-the-right-formation-that-will-suit-talented-dundee/

4-2-3-1: It’s a tried and tested formation for the manager.

It’s the one he secured a Championship trophy with and a formation he deployed for much of last season.

With Rory Loy fit and firing, the Dark Blues have the perfect man to lead the line. They also have Rhys Healey, who proved at the weekend he can put a shift in.

They miss the control and game management of Kevin Thomson in the midfield but the problem is they will miss him no matter what they play.

Likelihood: 7/10

4-4-2: For me, it’s the system I would turn to.

It’s been under-used by the manager in his time and it’s a formation that doesn’t seem to be in vogue.

But every player knows exactly how to play it.

Bring Riccardo Calder in to the wing and return Nicky Low and/or Paul McGowan to the midfield. Simple.

Up top, Loy and Stewart could well be a match made in heaven.

Likelihood: 4/10

4-3-3: Another one the gaffer loves to deploy. The fact he’s got goalscorers in Loy, Kane Hemmings and Stewart makes it an easy pick in the forward areas.

The graft of Nick Ross and Low, who is likely to come back into the starting XI, make it a front-runner for how Dundee will line-up in the Highlands.

Likelihood: 8/10

4-5-1: This was trialled at Celtic and failed miserably at Parkhead as the Dark Blues were hit for six.

It’s impossible to judge the formation on that showing and it could have value away from home on occasions.

Likelihood: 2/10

3-5-2: This was another one of those experiments that didn’t quite get the results for Dundee.

Injury forced the change from the manager and it coincided with a run of poor results, including a League Cup loss to Dunfermline.

Likelihood: 1/10

4-1-2-1-2: Has been used from time to time but this formation is very much reliant on Thomson’s fitness.

Gary Harkins can play the anchor role but given his poor show v Killie his place could well be at risk.

Likelihood: 5/10

4-2-1-3: Judging by the lack of ball Dundee got at the weekend, and the fact Paul changed things at 2-0 on 52 minutes, it’s unlikely we will see this set-up again in a hurry.

Likelihood: 1/10

Just be interesting to see if the vote here would be different?

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Missing 4-3-1-2 which was used on the opening day against Killie. With Harkins, Ross and Thomson as the midfield 3, Stewart in the free role and then Loy and Hemmings up top! Each of the 3 midfield did a shift defending that day, not just leaving it up to KT on his own!

I'd be very surprised if Hartley deploys 4-4-2, as I dont think he feels he has the right players to suit it. As in 2 proper wingers (not just one and a central midfielder like Low or Mcgowan wide) and two central midfielders that can get up and down the pitch and control a game, hence why he normally deploys 3.

I agree that when it works, 4-3-1-2 is our best formation as it gets the best out of Stewart. It's hard to leave Calder out the team, but it's a great option from the bench to change things and stretch the game if required.

Can Calder not be deployed at Centre Mid? Sure I read somewhere that he's played there before? Could use his pace, directness and energy getting from box to box

The problem with the 4-3-1-2 is the lack of cover for our full backs.  Worked a treat down at Killie but we were up against a really poor side who didn't attack. Against anyone with wide players we leave McGinn and Holt with no cover. At times on Saturday Holt had 3 players attacking him with no help!!!

4-4-2 for me

Right now, what we need is a formation that helps the defence a bit, we are shipping goals at an alarming rate and leaving us having to score 2 or 3 goals just to get draws.

Team have sussed out that if they chase and harry us in midfield we are pretty useless.

I'd go 4-4-2 in the meantime

Can Calder not be deployed at Centre Mid? Sure I read somewhere that he's played there before? Could use his pace, directness and energy getting from box to box

I remember reading this too, but based on what I've seen so far I think his best position is LM/LW. Could be worth a try though.

The problem with the 4-3-1-2 is the lack of cover for our full backs.  Worked a treat down at Killie but we were up against a really poor side who didn't attack. Against anyone with wide players we leave McGinn and Holt with no cover. At times on Saturday Holt had 3 players attacking him with no help!!!

4-4-2 for me

Agreed there is no direct cover but theres no reason why one of the 3 Central players can cover out wide leaving the other two central in case the ball comes insde! I'd be happy with 4-4-2 all the same too!

Adblock Detected