Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Eddie Johnson

harry94

There is a bit of speculation that this man may be a future Dundee manager. Since he's had history of playing in Texas and was appointed to a first team after the American's arrived at Dundee, the implication is that he was approved by the owners who see potential in him. The official line seems to be that he was picked by Hartley after doing a bit of scouting.

Whenever he comes up, I have such a small amount of information about him that I don't really know what to make of him. When mentioned in the media, any under 20 manager in the country is going to be described as 'highly rated' no mater who they are so we don't have much to go on.

These are the things I'd really like to find out about him:

• What are his actual job responsibilities? OK we can get an official title somewhere but that doesn't really tell us much. In the Stevie Campbell thread, there was debate over who he was responsible with in developing and the answer seems to be that no one actually knows for sure. Johnson has experience playing down south and would have links there so although I'm sure he participates in player recruitment, does this extend to the first team squad? Does Johnson advise Hartley on first team matters (we see him on matchdays but he doesn't look like he participates much apart from warm ups)? Does Johnson offer contracts to young players or is the final say up to Hartley?
  • Following on from that, what is the relationship like with Hartley? Do the two regularly watch games together and discuss a vision or is it more distant where both men try not to overreach on the other one?
  • Lastly, what's he like as a manager? How does he like to play? Is he his players best mate, enemy or somewhere in between?

None of us will have concrete answers on any of that I imagine (as most things will fall into a grey area) but it'd be interesting to hear what people have maybe heard from people close to the club or indeed just to speculate a bit with what is in the public domain.

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a bit of speculation that this man may be a future Dundee manager. Since he's had history of playing in Texas and was appointed to a first team after the American's arrived at Dundee, the implication is that he was approved by the owners who see potential in him. The official line seems to be that he was picked by Hartley after doing a bit of scouting.

Whenever he comes up, I have such a small amount of information about him that I don't really know what to make of him. When mentioned in the media, any under 20 manager in the country is going to be described as 'highly rated' no mater who they are so we don't have much to go on.

These are the things I'd really like to find out about him:

• What are his actual job responsibilities? OK we can get an official title somewhere but that doesn't really tell us much. In the Stevie Campbell thread, there was debate over who he was responsible with in developing and the answer seems to be that no one actually knows for sure. Johnson has experience playing down south and would have links there so although I'm sure he participates in player recruitment, does this extend to the first team squad? Does Johnson advise Hartley on first team matters (we see him on matchdays but he doesn't look like he participates much apart from warm ups)? Does Johnson offer contracts to young players or is the final say up to Hartley?
  • Following on from that, what is the relationship like with Hartley? Do the two regularly watch games together and discuss a vision or is it more distant where both men try not to overreach on the other one?
  • Lastly, what's he like as a manager? How does he like to play? Is he his players best mate, enemy or somewhere in between?

None of us will have concrete answers on any of that I imagine (as most things will fall into a grey area) but it'd be interesting to hear what people have maybe heard from people close to the club or indeed just to speculate a bit with what is in the public domain.

It would definitely be interesting to find out more about him and his roles at the club.

Don't really take much notice of the youths but I would hope that how Hartley wants the first team to play is how the youths are taught to play. That makes it so important that Hartley does give a lot of input to Johnson.

Eddie Johnson's success will be based on how many under 20s make the step up to the first team and do well. So far there has been very limited opportunities for the youths to make the step up which is probably due to none of them being ready. Jesse Curran did well when he came on against Motherwell but so sure he looked ready to play every week yet.

Adblock Detected