Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Dundee in no mood to sell off star Greg Stewart

Dundee are in no mood to cash in on star man Greg Stewart, according to John Nelms.

In fact, the Dark Blues’ managing director has suggested the club are willing to lose the 26-year-old for nothing at the end of next season, rather than take the money and run this summer.

As Stewart enters the final year of his contract at Dens Park, interest from north and south of the border has ramped up.

Aberdeen, Hearts and Rangers have all been mentioned, while a host of clubs from England, including Leeds United, are believed to be considering bids for the ex-Cowdenbeath man.

Most clubs would be readying a contingency plan for the loss of their prize-asset. Not Dundee.

In a refreshing approach, Nelms says the club values the entertainment of the fans just as much as numbers on a balance sheet.

And he says they will not be drawn into making the same mistakes as others by pulling the rug from under the manager’s feet with player sales.

“We don’t want to sell any of our players — that includes Greg,” said Nelms.

“The rumours are rife at the moment. We can’t prevent that.

“For us, now, as it does at any time in our business, a deal has to tick many boxes.

“It has to be right for the player. It has to be right for the team. It has to be right for the organisation. And it also has to hit a number of other criteria linked to those three. If it does, then that is fine.

Dundee are keen to hold on to their main man.Dundee are keen to hold on to their main man.

“It will never be the case that we want to tick one box by putting ‘x’ amount of pounds in the bank. That doesn’t always mean it’s right to sell.

“We would rather keep a player, entertain our fans and climb up the table than make a quick couple of hundred thousand pounds.”

Figures around the £250,000 mark have been mentioned in passing when quoting Stewart’s value.

Nelms joked he would not even pick up the phone for a bid of that nature.

The American director accepts a silly offer for anyone, whether that be Stewart or for a player like Kane Hemmings, would have to be seriously considered.

But he admits any team wanting Stewart, or anyone else in the Dark Blues dressing-room, will have to cough up big time.

“As far as selling players, there is a real premium on the value of ours,” he said. “If a deal comes along and it is right for everybody, we will sell a player.

“If it is not right in every way, it makes no sense to do it.”

Nelms, part of the Keyes Capital investment group that bought in a controlling share in the Dens Park boardroom two-and-a-half years ago, continued: “Our players are like family to us. We do a lot for them.

“It is very important when a player comes in, he will fit the changing-room.

“Also, when one leaves, we have to make sure it does not affect the dynamic.

“We want to add to the quality of the players who are in there, we do not want to lose any.

“Any sale would also have to be right for us.”

Although keen not to devalue the number-crunching side of his role, Nelms is keen to point out success off the field, finances and bank balances can only get you so far in football.

“The players do the entertaining. The board or the balance sheets aren’t entertaining,” he said.

“The managing director is not entertaining — I am just a 45-year-old man from St Louis, Missouri, with a beard.

“It is our job to support the club and make the team out on the pitch as entertaining as we can for the fans.”

View the full article

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Well from someone who's aye raising the issue aboot, lack of information/communication/Club & Fan interaction, Oor Mr Nelms has certainly said his piece there ....... And for that, from me, is a "BIG WELL DONE"   

Although I am auld enough, and sometimes cynical enough, to accept a load of fine, warm words & positive comments, will NOT always translate into grand actions, what you have said above, will certainly do for me just now.

The feeling for me, with regard to DFC, & all those at the helm, is way better than just OK :)

Keep up the good work JN. Keep the fans & supporters informed. We'll get there together :)

5 minutes ago, Gedee said:

Well from someone who's aye raising the issue aboot, lack of information/communication/Club & Fan interaction, Oor Mr Nelms has certainly said his piece there ....... And for that, from me, is a "BIG WELL DONE"   

Although I am auld enough, and sometimes cynical enough, to accept a load of fine, warm words & positive comments, will NOT always translate into grand actions, what you have said above, will certainly do for me just now.

The feeling for me, with regard to DFC, & all those at the helm, is way better than just OK :)

Keep up the good work JN. Keep the fans & supporters informed. We'll get there together :)

I still think Stewart will be off Gedee but Nelms statement should ensure, hopefully, we don't get taken for a ride this time. Well done Mr Nelms and our BOD.

A lot of supporters still cynical about the Americans but seem to be doing the main things correct. Mr Nelms came over very well on STV and sounded sincere at POY dinner. I like what he says about players fitting into the club. Near the end of the dinner,  a few players were still with the manager,, coaches and office staff. Maybe a minor thing , but it looked harmonious to me that they wanted to spend time in each others company , when they could have been away after performing their duties.  

47 minutes ago, Blue4evr said:

A lot of supporters still cynical about the Americans but seem to be doing the main things correct. Mr Nelms came over very well on STV and sounded sincere at POY dinner. I like what he says about players fitting into the club. Near the end of the dinner,  a few players were still with the manager,, coaches and office staff. Maybe a minor thing , but it looked harmonious to me that they wanted to spend time in each others company , when they could have been away after performing their duties.  

I'm maybe not cynical but a wee bit wary of the American's motives. The scars of past battles have been slow to heal and they are probably the main reason why a lot of Dees still remain cautious over what the future holds under our current owners. To date though they appear to have done* nothing but good.

Edited by Reverend Lovejoy
*done

A 45-year-old man from St Louis, Missouri, with a beard seems to be the most teckle of boys at the moment - saying the right things at the right time.

Like most Dees I will take almost every word with a pinch of salt until the actions back up the words, BUT FPS and our BOD seem to be doing things right.

Keep up the good words and we will look out for the follow up actions!

(It's very strange to be feeling confident and happy with all the goings on at Dens)

Adblock Detected