Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Lincoln Financial Field to be Dundee’s ‘home’ ground for Celtic game in USA

This is the Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia, which is looking increasingly likely to be Dundee’s home for a day when they face Celtic in a historic Premiership match.

The Dark Blues are now confident they’ll be facing the Hoops in the first ever Scottish league game to be played on foreign soil.

And if they do this “home” fixture will take place in vastly different surroundings from Dens Park.

Opened in August 2003, the home of grid iron outfit the Philadelphia Eagles boasts a capacity of 69,176.

Le_Lincoln_Financial_Field

It also holds the famous Army-Navy American Football clash, an Oxford-Cambridge type that is one of the big days in the US sporting calendar.

A number of “soccer” matches have also been staged there and 2012 saw it provide the venue as Celtic face Real Madrid in a friendly.

Although was only built 13 years ago, the last couple of years have seen an extensive modernisation programme taken place.

For news of the latest progress on Dundee’s plan to take Scottish football to the States, see tonight’s Tele.

View the full article

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Impressive.

Less impressive are the air fares to Philadelphia. Looking at around £460 for April-ish from Edinburgh or Glasgow, both bouncing at Heathrow. 

If this does go ahead, then I'd hope it's the second "home" game against Celtic (we're due two pre-split this season), which will be March or April. That would give those daft enough to want to go (i.e. me) 10 months to properly save up.

3 hours ago, CW 90+3 02/05/16 said:

Never going to be allowed (and rightly so) by the authorities so I've no idea why people are still entertaining this.

What makes you so sure?

It's never been tested before for a league match but there have been European domestic competitions that have taken place out of Europe so there isn't really any obvious hurdle yet. Big money interests will be in favour of it in the hope of a bigger league game taking the same approach in the future and as we've seen in football, that's most of the battle.

In regards to crowd predictions and that, it's really hard to say at this stage. Just not enough data.

3 hours ago, harry94 said:

What makes you so sure?

Because UEFA simply wont allow clubs to franchise their competitive league games.

It would open the floodgates to applicants and make a mockery of domestic competition.

Unless you think they are going to allow us and Celtic special dispensation out of the whole of world football? 

I'm fully behind our owners and they've delivered on everything so far, but for me, this is just pie in the sky.

Adblock Detected