Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Erraid Davies, Shetland Swimmer's Elligibility?

For those who may NOT remember, Erraid, was thon bright sparkly wee lass fae Shetland, than won a bronze medal at the Commonwealth Games 2014.

She has a condition called "Perthes Disease" which it seems affects the joints. And this in tun made her elligible to be considered for Paralympic Games

However, she now has to go in front of a Panel in Germany, to re-assess her "disability" It is believed, at this time, she cannot be considered for the Rio

Paralympics 2016. I don't know enough about these things to be able to comment on these decisions. It may well be the case the decision may be correct.

But I do wonder what are the guidelines & rules for all disabled athletes attending these games? Who makes the decisions. And how do they finally choose?

There must be a great feeling of pride for these athletes, coming back home with a medal. (But on the other hand, I would not think many would appreciate

the added burden of being labelled disabled) if they were just borderline. Also, although, many athletes involved here, are obviously physically disabled, are

there not others (with the added advantage) of NOT really being disabled. Maybe, Erraid Davies is one? Any views on her, or the general broader question?

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't claim to be an expert but I believe her condition is one that can improve over time. She was reassessed and deemed not to qualify. I thought it was a little ironic that her parents were upset and disappointed that their daughter was no longer disabled enough to compete in the Paralympics.

I think it's great that there are events like the Paralympics but I don't know how they come up with the criteria for the different levels. Having seen a few clips, you can see swimmers with 2 arms against swimmers with 1 arm and things like are a bit strange. I wouldn't watch it myself as it just doesn't interest me but fair play to them.

59 minutes ago, andymurray said:

I don't claim to be an expert but I believe her condition is one that can improve over time. She was reassessed and deemed not to qualify. I thought it was a little ironic that her parents were upset and disappointed that their daughter was no longer disabled enough to compete in the Paralympics.

I think it's great that there are events like the Paralympics but I don't know how they come up with the criteria for the different levels. Having seen a few clips, you can see swimmers with 2 arms against swimmers with 1 arm and things like are a bit strange. I wouldn't watch it myself as it just doesn't interest me but fair play to them.

If someone is good enough to get a bronze at a top level competition like the Commonwealth games when she was 13 it seems a bit 'greedy' to try and qualify for the para games. Nothing against the lassie I wish her well but if she's good enough for the 'normal' games then concentrate on that, it would be a bit tight on the 'more disabled' if someone who could do that well in the able bodied ones. It would be like one of the boys with springs for legs running the 100M in 5 seconds. :stirthepot:

59 minutes ago, andymurray said:

Your post above andy' highlights some of the problems/dilemmas, around this defininition issue.

It must raise a lot of mixed feelings with the athletes and those close to them. I was not aware of the feelings voiced by her parents.

Irony seems to be the right word I guess. Coming back (probably unexpectedly) with a medal & seeing the boost, and feeling of pride,

that must have gave their daughter, & even themselves, I can understand in some ways, why they'd want to see that happen again.

The other issue around what determines a disability, as well as the different degrees of diability between athletes, Well, I just dont know.

Anyway, it was announced this evening, that the Medical Panel in Germany, who reviewed

her case, came to the conclusion she was no longer legible to compete in the Paralymics.

Still think it must leave an unclear definition of what constitutes a disabled athlete .... (imo)

1 hour ago, Gedee said:

Anyway, it was announced this evening, that the Medical Panel in Germany, who reviewed

her case, came to the conclusion she was no longer legible to compete in the Paralymics.

Still think it must leave an unclear definition of what constitutes a disabled athlete .... (imo)

Hi Gedee,

Disabled athletes covers both physically and mentally handicapped athletes competing in different groups.

Right WW, that's a bonnie picture of the girl throwing a bottle, that then excuses all England fans from the ensuing mayhem? If then the 'casuals' came on the scene, then why not let the police deal with them? your having a laugh if your saying her throwing the bottle and the other boys egged them into the carnage that happened two nights on the trot 

The English lads that got involved in that disgraceful behaviour need to take responsibility, they're grown men. Instead of crying that a lone women had a really good arm on her, and that a load of local lads were abusive, take a hard look at themselves and ask, 'why is it we are always one of the countries marred in this sh**e?' 

10 minutes ago, 87DEE said:

Right WW, that's a bonnie picture of the girl throwing a bottle, that then excuses all England fans from the ensuing mayhem? If then the 'casuals' came on the scene, then why not let the police deal with them? your having a laugh if your saying her throwing the bottle and the other boys egged them into the carnage that happened two nights on the trot 

5 minutes ago, 87DEE said:

The English lads that got involved in that disgraceful behaviour need to take responsibility, they're grown men. Instead of crying that a lone women had a really good arm on her, and that a load of local lads were abusive, take a hard look at themselves and ask, 'why is it we are always one of the countries marred in this sh**e?' 

Wrong thread bro.

Adblock Detected