Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Liam Kennedy: Dundee v Celtic US game could set perilous precedent across the globe

Dundee are, without doubt, showing tremendous ambition by attempting to pull off the American dream.

But I can’t help but feel, should it be given the green light, the clash with Celtic in Philadelphia would be setting a very dangerous precedent for football not just in Scotland but across the globe.

Don’t get me wrong, the Dark Blues hierarchy — managing director John Nelms, in particular — deserve a huge amount of credit for having the bottle to try to pull this off.

It shows just how far the club have come in such a short time.

Roll back the clock, for example. Floundering in a second-tier promotion race, choking at Morton, who’d have thought just a few short years later Dundee would even be considering travelling across the pond to play the Hoops at a 70,000-seater stadium, making history in the process, as part of the regular league season.

The whole thing sounds bonkers. But that’s exactly what the club’s US owners are trying to do.

There is the risk this could open up a can of worms for world football, though.

If Dundee can play in the US, why can’t Celtic play Rangers there?

In fact, why can’t Manchester United play Liverpool in China, or Real Madrid play Barcelona in the Middle East?

Should this proposal be successful, there’s nothing stopping others following suit.

The idea of clubs playing domestic competitions away from their own fans and on foreign soil undermines the integrity of the game.

Obviously, from a personal perspective, I am keen for it to happen. A mid-season trip to Philly is no bad adventure for a Tele football writer.

But, from every other angle, the whole episode makes me a little uneasy.

Football clubs are nothing without their fans. Clubs should never lose sight of that.

Will it actually go ahead? I’m not sure.

The word from Dens is that they’re confident it will. Noises from elsewhere are not so upbeat.

And Fifa, who blocked the English Premier League dream of a 39th game a few years back, will ultimately have the final say.

Either way, we will know in the next nine days whether it’s a goer.

View the full article

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Everything the Americans do we tend to follow. The NFL has been playing games in London since 2007. This year there will be four games played there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_International_Series

It's only a matter of time until British clubs play a game overseas so it might as well be us to do it first. I'm hopeful it might lead to some new interest in the club, possibly through sponsorship or advertising. It certainly won't do us any harm to be associated with innovation.

Adblock Detected