Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Scotland

Due to shift pattern I have managed to watch every game so far apart from Italian second half. Even though there hasn't been an avalanche of goals I don't think I have seen a team I would feel confident of Scotland beating, including Albania and Northern Ireland. 

It's scary to see how technically advanced even the smallest teams are compared to what we get served up. Every country has at least one player you think will provide a moment of magic, we have Fletcher up top. I have never been massively into international football, much prefer club football but times are grim indeed for Scotland. 

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Folk said that things were grim under Vogts when we were ranked 80th in the Fifa rankings in 2004. The Smith and McLeish came in and showed what an organised, passionate team could achieve. We beat World Cup finalists France home and away and rose to 13th in the rankings. Under Avril, Burley and Strachan we're back to being sh**e and feeling sorry for ourselves. Things will be grim until the SFA appoint someone who can inspire the players.

I don't really think we have the players to inspire in the first place and can't see much coming in the way of improvements. 

Read that Ireland, Wales and Iceland don't have any players plying their trade in their own league. Yet we surely must have the highest home grown contingent in our top league in years? Maybe it will bare fruit in a few years time. 

As long as we have managers that are happy to play the same players that have been tried and have failed us over many previous years we have absolutely no chance of improving as a national team. Decent young Scottish players would rather pledge allegiance to Ireland, Northern Ireland or even Englandshire than be overlooked in favour of the Scottish old guard.

We need a Scotland manager that will shake the game up from grass roots to the top - we can't even get one to shake the team up.

I'm glad to see more Scottish kids heading south quicker nowadays, far too many used to think sitting on the bench for either one of the OF was the pinnacle. Hopefully this has a knock on effect for the national team down the years. 

6 minutes ago, Fas said:

I'm glad to see more Scottish kids heading south quicker nowadays, far too many used to think sitting on the bench for either one of the OF was the pinnacle. Hopefully this has a knock on effect for the national team down the years. 

I'd prefer the national team manager to have the balls to pick young players when they're at Dundee, Kilmarnock, Partick etc. (not United though) and actually give them game time. The whole idea that you have to play for one of the ugly sisters or down south to 'qualify' to play for Scotland does my head in.

Yeah Buster I agree with that 100%, just talking about the kids that are getting the option. Going down there is the far better option in the long run I think. Makes them better all round athletes and footballers and if they then bring that back north then it's a bonus. Preferably they wouldn't need to go south but.......

On ‎14‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 19:54, Fas said:

Yeah Buster I agree with that 100%, just talking about the kids that are getting the option. Going down there is the far better option in the long run I think. Makes them better all round athletes and footballers and if they then bring that back north then it's a bonus. Preferably they wouldn't need to go south but.......

A lot of Scottish players head south to England too soon and come back to Scotland at the end of their 2 or 3 year contract because they have not made it. They have been continually out on loan and had few if any opportunities to play in the first team.

Inclined to agree with the opening statement ....

Although there has been a few magic moments, having watched  lots of games to date, I've not been so enthralled with most of the games I've seen.  Most of the teams (imo) have shown much more technical ability (& enthusiasm) than I would  expect from Scotland. There has been some nice touches, but generally, the whole thing is leaving me flat ....I'm starting to lose interest to be honest. Scotland never made it, because they were simply not good enough, as far as I am concerned. Had they made it to Euro 2016, I'd like to think pride alone may have meant they would have raised their game a little. But I agree with Fas & ithers, they lack the skills & technical ability (imo) to beat any of the teams on display.

I think Gordon Strachan was rightly welcomed as Scotland's Manager by most, and he may prove yet to be the right man. But I think most us also agree, it's time to change direction, and drop most of these "tried & tested" players. It must be the fear o' a bad result/performance, that get's hold, when it comes to dropping these "aulder ains" but especially in the last two Scotland Friendlies, I thought Strachan would be up for introducing some more new faces, as well as being a wee bit more experimental adventurous

As it stands, let's see what today brings.  My Heart, Head & Soul, will behind the All Powerful, Mighty England ;)

Even now, I can hear the Stirring, Heart Rendering Sounds of Our National Anthem. It Brings Tears to my Eyes :lol2:

Personally Ive really enjoyed the tournament so far and only expect it to get even better. Enjoyed watching France, Italy and Germany but also really liked the Icelanders. 

Hoping for an England win today ( Ive got money on them ) and it also means that it gives a greater chance for both them and Wales to qualify. Germany v Poland should be a hard fought game and it would be fantastic if Northern Ireland could take 3 points from Ukraine. I would love to see the three home nations qualify.

I also think if we had qualified we would have struggled. We sadly are just not good enough. I agree with Gedee that we need to change direction and drop the old guard and bring in new faces. Wouldn't it have been great if players like Greg Stewart had been giving a chance I the friendlies ? Until we change things we are never going to qualify for a tournament again  :(

And England and Northern Ireland need to stop using the British National anthem which is awful and get their own :)

3 hours ago, DeeMo said:

Personally Ive really enjoyed the tournament so far and only expect it to get even better. Enjoyed watching France, Italy and Germany but also really liked the Icelanders. 

Hoping for an England win today ( Ive got money on them ) and it also means that it gives a greater chance for both them and Wales to qualify. Germany v Poland should be a hard fought game and it would be fantastic if Northern Ireland could take 3 points from Ukraine. I would love to see the three home nations qualify.

I also think if we had qualified we would have struggled. We sadly are just not good enough. I agree with Gedee that we need to change direction and drop the old guard and bring in new faces. Wouldn't it have been great if players like Greg Stewart had been giving a chance I the friendlies ? Until we change things we are never going to qualify for a tournament again  :(

And England and Northern Ireland need to stop using the British National anthem which is awful and get their own :)

Aye it takes a Jock to sort it for them. :stirthepot:

Adblock Detected