Jump to content

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Defenders


Rate our defenders  

90 members have voted

  1. 1. Who do you rate as our BEST Centre back?

    • DARREN O'DEA
      86
    • JAMES MCPAKE
      2
    • JULEN ETXABEGUREN
      2
    • KOSTADIN GADZHALOV
      0
  2. 2. Who do you rate as our 2ND BEST Centre back?

    • DARREN O'DEA
      5
    • JAMES MCPAKE
      34
    • JULEN ETXABEGUREN
      37
    • KOSTADIN GADZHALOV
      14
  3. 3. Who do you rate as our 3RD BEST Centre back?

    • DARREN O'DEA
      0
    • JAMES MCPAKE
      30
    • JULEN ETXABEGUREN
      27
    • KOSTADIN GADZHALOV
      33
  4. 4. Who do you rate as our 4th BEST Centre back?

    • DARREN O'DEA
      0
    • JAMES MCPAKE
      8
    • JULEN ETXABEGUREN
      8
    • KOSTADIN GADZHALOV
      17


Recommended Posts

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
On 15 June 2016 at 22:24, Derry Drummer said:

Why are people rating McPakes blood and guts as skill?

I've ranked McPake above Gadz and Julen (in that order with O'Dea top) not because I think Mcpake has "skills". It's because I think the other two are worse than him, rather than he is better.

O'des aside (most of the time), for my money Hartley can't spot a defender. I didn't rate any of our CBs last season (for reasons I've covered at length a few times) and I still don't.

I am DESPERATE for him to go out and sign another lad of O'Dea's quality in terms of on field vision and ability. He's not the best defender in the world (or even the league) but he's streets ahead of the other three.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎15‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 22:24, Derry Drummer said:

Why are people rating McPakes blood and guts as skill?

Not sure anyone rates his blood and guts as skill to be fair.

I don't want a centre half with the type of skills an attacking mid / striker needs. I want him to be a lunatic that puts his head where others wouldn't, makes the challenge that others wouldn't and pops up with the odd goal from a corner or free kick.

If he can do all of the above and also pull a ball down in his own box then stroll into midfield like nothing happened, beat a couple of players and set up a goal he won't be with a club like ours for long.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Prince Buster said:

Not sure anyone rates his blood and guts as skill to be fair.

I don't want a centre half with the type of skills an attacking mid / striker needs. I want him to be a lunatic that puts his head where others wouldn't, makes the challenge that others wouldn't and pops up with the odd goal from a corner or free kick.

If he can do all of the above and also pull a ball down in his own box then stroll into midfield like nothing happened, beat a couple of players and set up a goal he won't be with a club like ours for long.

I have no doubt there will be a few posters (maybe mair than a few) that will no' be impressed of your definition of a centre-half Prince'.

But he sounds better than jist fine tae me. In fact sounds exactly like the kind o centre-half I'd like tae see in the Dark  Blue Shirt :)

So when can eh expect him tae come tae Dens :rolleyes:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Gedee said:

I have no doubt there will be a few posters (maybe mair than a few) that will no' be impressed of your definition of a centre-half Prince'.

But he sounds better than jist fine tae me. In fact sounds exactly like the kind o centre-half I'd like tae see in the Dark  Blue Shirt :)

So when can eh expect him tae come tae Dens :rolleyes:

He's been there and Rangers poached him away like they have done with so many of our best players over the years Gedee.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I went DoD, Jezza, Jules, Gadz. 

Lots of decent posts, pretty much sums it up.

For me DoD is the more experienced player having been at a higher level.

I do see McPake as our Leader on the park though or the back 4 anyway. Good threat or target on set pieces as well. 

Jules is young and will def get better as did Konrad after a season. Ironically i think he played best along side Konrad...

Gadz is solid and glad we kept him instead of Konrad, reminds me of Davidson a bit in the sense he needs a run of games before he looks comfortable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I see from today's Courier that the Arabs are going to take Reading's Zak Jules up for a trial, with a view to a loan deal with Reading.

At the end of the season, I posted a link to a sunday paper article about him, where he talked about looking to get a season loan in Scotland (he's played regularly in Scotland's U-19 side, moving up to the U-21 side), having seen one of his Reading colleagues sign for Chelsea after a year on loan up here.

His qualities were everything this forum was saying we needed in a defender. Big (6'3"), strong, fast, skillful, young, left-footed, good in the air, etc.

Playing alongside one or two experienced pros would be great development for him, and I think O'Dea is a great role model for a young international to have as a mentor. You'd think if he & his club are prepared to let him talk to the Arabs they'd have been interested in him talking to Dundee as well.

However, PH says he can't find what he's looking for in the UK, so he's got Numan doing some scouting for him in the Netherlands & beyond, so I guess this isn't the kind of central defender he wants? We have to trust PH, his transfer business has seen us improve our squad all over the park, and achieve a 100% replacement in a couple of years, but I'm a bit surprised we're not interested in this guy.

extract from Courier:

McKinnon is steadily getting there now as regards recruitment and he revealed that he has invited Scotland under-19 international Zak Jules up from Reading in order to have a look at the left-sided central defender. The initial hope was he would be arriving with the other batch of trailists when pre-season training starts officially next Monday but Jules will remain south until new Royals boss Jaap Stam has assessed his squad.

“We will be bringing up Zak Jules from Reading,” said McKinnon. “He plays left centre-half and that’s something we don’t have. Everyone I’ve spoken to has said he’s really kicked on in the last six months so I’m excited about getting a look at him. There are other clubs interested but hopefully if he shows up well we’ll be able to get him. He’s big, strong and very quick."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

PH has already made it clear that he is looking for a right sided central defender and Zak, while maybe a good player, appears to be left sided.

He's left footed....that's not the same as playing on the right side of the centre of defence. To some degree, left/right footed depends on whether the player is competent with the foot that's not his "natural" best.

The curious bit about PH's comment in the courier last week is that most of our problems last season were (by popular view) the left side of the back line, no-one covering behind Holt when he went forward.

However, as Chomp highlighted, what PH says to the press & what he does are not always the same :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, WoodStein said:

He's left footed....that's not the same as playing on the right side of the centre of defence. To some degree, left/right footed depends on whether the player is competent with the foot that's not his "natural" best.

The curious bit about PH's comment in the courier last week is that most of our problems last season were (by popular view) the left side of the back line, no-one covering behind Holt when he went forward.

However, as Chomp highlighted, what PH says to the press & what he does are not always the same :) 

Your post on Zak says he's a left side central defender!!!!!!. I think if you look at the left sided or left footed central defenders we currently have then PH is isn't telling porkies on this one. Cant see any benefit in publicly stating he's looking for a right sided defender when he was looking for a left sided defender anyway. That would just be daft.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

Your post on Zak says he's a left side central defender!!!!!!. I think if you look at the left sided or left footed central defenders we currently have then PH is isn't telling porkies on this one. Cant see any benefit in publicly stating he's looking for a right sided defender when he was looking for a left sided defender anyway. That would just be daft.

My post quotes the courier, in italics. Not my words.

The previous, fairly lengthy article on him, made no mention of right/left, just a central defender. We've had plenty of central defenders over the last 50+ years who were not specifically right/left, just damned good at defending on either side of them. Maybe that's the problem today? We've had a few diddies too, of course.

Who are our "left footed / left sided" central defenders? The huge gap behind Holt didn't seem to be filled by someone who looked "naturally" left-sided last season & we've not signed anyone since.

....and you've never noticed Hartley feeding the local media bullshit?....c'mon, be serious ;) 

Edit:

PS....none of this particularly matters of course....as I said a couple of posts above, "We have to trust PH, his transfer business has seen us improve our squad all over the park"....I'm confident he'll arrive at the right solution soon enough.

 

Edited by WoodStein
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...