Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Liam Kennedy: Greg Stewart call make or break for Dundee

There’s a fine line between success and failure in football.

The smallest bit of quality in one moment of a seemingly-inconsequential match can be enough, in some cases, to define a season.

And it is for that reason that the brave call to hang on to Greg Stewart has the potential to make or break Dundee’s campaign.

I call it brave for a number of reasons.

We all know the argument about finance. Stewart has the potential to make the Dark Blues a tidy sum, much of which, I’m assured, would be ploughed back into the player budget for manager Paul Hartley. Although, I must add John Nelms and the manager are in no mood to sell.

In today’s market, with a year left, he’s probably worth £400-500k. But my valuation is irrelevant as Dundee value him at three times that amount.

They will never get it.

The other main reason why it is brave is that talk of the English Championship, a much higher level than the Scottish Premiership, and moves to boyhood heroes Rangers as well as potential title-chasers Aberdeen and Hearts, may well have turned the forward’s head.

There is literally nothing the club can do about this. Players have ambitions the same as everyone else. He would be rewarded financially and in other ways by leaving Dens for pastures new. And, at 26, he may think it’s time to go.

That’s just football.

That then brings you into the realms of trying to hang on to a player who no longer wants to stay. This can be dangerous for any team, no matter how big or small.

And given how influential Stewart has been over the last two seasons, is it wise to make someone stay who might want to leave?

Is Stewart, who is one of the most talented players at this level, at 80% with his head turned and heart potentially not in it, worth having when you could make half a million?

I think the answer is probably, no.

While the approach from the board and manager, who sees Stewart as almost irreplaceable in his team, is brave, it may also be misguided in some ways. Stewart is so good he could single-handedly secure the Dark Blues a top-six spot but he could quite as easily be a passenger if things go against his will.

View the full article

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

As I've said before this Mackem is the biggest fud that works for DC Thomsons.

These papers have been touting the DAB players at the DABs request for years. These reporters are severley p*ssed off that they have no direct link to what is going on inside Dens, supporters know first from the club what is going on and not from the DAB sympathisers.

Remember this is the man also who made up the 250k release clause for Kane. The man is a walloper.

I find it hard to disagree with the majority of what he says in the article.  My own view is that if GS doesn't extend the contract and we try to keep him for the season, we'll do very well to get 4 or 5 months of decent quality performances out of him. If that.   After that he will be 'gone' and next to useless for us.

I'm all for a bit of bravado from the club on this but if we think we are going to get a season of quality performances from GS (like the last two seasons) it will not end well.  If he will not extend the contract then we need to cash in imo.

The club haven't knocked back any bids so I don't really think they've been brave. Yes we put a £1.5m price tag on his head to discourage a derisory offer from Aberdeen and Hearts but if an English club was willing to part with £500k-£1m I'm sure they would make an approach.

It's the end of June and we have until the end of August to persuade him to extend or to sell him so plenty time for things to change.

Edited by Cobra

Stewart is a professional footballer, bit disrespectful to say he would chuck it this season.

I would imagine he wants to join Rangers but they will wait till next year to sign him as they are pinkers. Even if a bid comes in for him which we accept wouldn't surprise me to see him turn down a move.

I really don't think £500k is a lot of money in the grand scheme of things. A couple of league places down and a couple hundred off the gate every week and that money is gone.

We should push on demanding our fee (eventually expecting to get around £1 million) and if that isn't met, keep him. Will give us a year to plan for his replacement and hopefully Wighton (with his first pre-season with Hartley and Ritchie) kicks on in that time.

17 minutes ago, harry94 said:

I really don't think £500k is a lot of money in the grand scheme of things. A couple of league places down and a couple hundred off the gate every week and that money is gone.

We should push on demanding our fee (eventually expecting to get around £1 million) and if that isn't met, keep him. Will give us a year to plan for his replacement and hopefully Wighton (with his first pre-season with Hartley and Ritchie) kicks on in that time.

I'm more with Atillio on this issue. I don't think GS will give us absolutely everything when the going gets tuff as he nears the end of his deal and that could cause problems. I fear we'll end up being forced to accept a stupid amount in January.

Why do you think Wighton is having his first pre-season under PH & TR?.

4 minutes ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

I'm more with Atillio on this issue. I don't think GS will give us absolutely everything when the going gets tuff as he nears the end of his deal and that could cause problems. I fear we'll end up being forced to accept a stupid amount in January.

Why do you think Wighton is having his first pre-season under PH & TR?.

He spent his first pre-season on international duty then injured and his second pre-season at Raith. Might be wrong but have heard Ritchie is a really top guy for what he does and I think a player like Wighton has quite a bit to gain from that sort of work.

3 minutes ago, harry94 said:

He spent his first pre-season on international duty then injured and his second pre-season at Raith. Might be wrong but have heard Ritchie is a really top guy for what he does and I think a player like Wighton has quite a bit to gain from that sort of work.

Ok Harry cheers mate.

I totally disagree with more or less everything that report has said.

I think the club have every right to place a price tag on a player that they feel he is worth. The thinking behind this reason behind this is to stop other teams thinking our players are easy pickings and we are now no longer 'bargain price thrift shop', as we have been for as long as I can remember.

I was told that Aberdeen put in a £300k bid for Stewart in January and were told to come back with a serious offer, which they never did. They did what most other clubs in Scotland have done for over a 30 - 40 years, they take their chance with a paltry bid thinking we would have lap the money right out of their hands. I hope this serves as a big change in our policy, we won't sell our best players just because you want them, and when we do sell expect to pay a price that we value the player at.

I still don't get the mentality of some of our fans when it comes to taking the first offer that comes our way and just because we might lose the player later for nothing. 'OMG we should take that £25 and a sh**e on a stick because we might lose Hemmings in 10 years for nothing!!' attitude. Christ, Raith Rovers just got over £100k for Toshney (yes let that sink in), because they didn't accept the first offer for him.

I personally do not want Stewart being sold to the likes of Rangers, Hearts or Aberdeen. The thought of him putting the ball into our net sickness me, and the worst case scenario could be his goals causing us a top six finish, how much will that take off that £300k then?

What a lot of our fans and a certain journalist don't realise, this £1.5 mil price tag is probably not what we will get for him, but probably ensures and states that more or less every Scottish club is out of their price range when it comes to Stewart (bar possibly Celtic) and I suspect this was to encourage a move out of Scotland and aimed towards an English outfit. I wouldn't be surprised if the club are talking to English clubs and come the start of the season, Stewart is plying his trade down there.

A year is a long time in football and anything can happen between now and then. All I know, if we sell him now, the slim chance that he could resign again has gone forever, at least, that chance is still there and I am hoping that he listens to Hemmings rather than his agent over this matter ;)

Adblock Detected