Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Liam Kennedy: Greg Stewart call make or break for Dundee

16 minutes ago, TheDarkBlues said:

I totally disagree with more or less everything that report has said.

I think the club have every right to place a price tag on a player that they feel he is worth. The thinking behind this reason behind this is to stop other teams thinking our players are easy pickings and we are now no longer 'bargain price thrift shop', as we have been for as long as I can remember.

I was told that Aberdeen put in a £300k bid for Stewart in January and were told to come back with a serious offer, which they never did. They did what most other clubs in Scotland have done for over a 30 - 40 years, they take their chance with a paltry bid thinking we would have lap the money right out of their hands. I hope this serves as a big change in our policy, we won't sell our best players just because you want them, and when we do sell expect to pay a price that we value the player at.

I still don't get the mentality of some of our fans when it comes to taking the first offer that comes our way and just because we might lose the player later for nothing. 'OMG we should take that £25 and a sh**e on a stick because we might lose Hemmings in 10 years for nothing!!' attitude. Christ, Raith Rovers just got over £100k for Toshney (yes let that sink in), because they didn't accept the first offer for him.

I personally do not want Stewart being sold to the likes of Rangers, Hearts or Aberdeen. The thought of him putting the ball into our net sickness me, and the worst case scenario could be his goals causing us a top six finish, how much will that take off that £300k then?

What a lot of our fans and a certain journalist don't realise, this £1.5 mil price tag is probably not what we will get for him, but probably ensures and states that more or less every Scottish club is out of their price range when it comes to Stewart (bar possibly Celtic) and I suspect this was to encourage a move out of Scotland and aimed towards an English outfit. I wouldn't be surprised if the club are talking to English clubs and come the start of the season, Stewart is plying his trade down there.

A year is a long time in football and anything can happen between now and then. All I know, if we sell him now, the slim chance that he could resign again has gone forever, at least, that chance is still there and I am hoping that he listens to Hemmings rather than his agent over this matter ;)

A fair few extremes, if, what's and maybe's in there mate. Toshney never went for over £100k according to every report I've read and I doubt Utd would pay that.

Nae point in asking for £1.5m if naebody is prepared to pay it.

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
3 minutes ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

A fair few extremes, if, what's and maybe's in there mate. Toshney never went for over £100k according to every report I've read and I doubt Utd would pay that.

As John says, we'll probably not get £1.5M for him but if we think he's worth 750k (for example) saying we'll sell him for 750k isn't a good starting point as with all the horse trading it will inevitably be less that he actually goes for. It also sends out the message that we're a selling club (I know we ALL are but its how cheaply we drop our knickers that's the important bit here) and will only do it when it suits the club unless you really want a player from us. IF we end up losing money by letting Stewart's contract run down then it might be worth it as a 'loss leader' to let other clubs know they have to cross our palms with silver (our value not theirs) if they want our players. While I've been cynical of the reasons why FPS are involved with the club (not wanting to start that debate all over again) its been refreshing to have the club run on professional lines and with enough backing to allow the club to take a stance like this.

14 minutes ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

The last I read that Raith told United they wanted 100k for him, I have been that busy with the site and forum recently I haven't been keeping up properly, I assumed that united agreed due to the fact that he signed. It couldn't have been far of this or they wouldn't have let him go.

Just because you disagree with my statements, doesn't make them wrong or extreme. The fact that the club stated £1.5m was to put of those who thought that they could just come in at pay peanuts for him, which is exactly what I said the club should do and they have with Stewart and hopefully will with other players in the future.

How would you feel if it was Stewart's goals that stopped us getting top six place or possibly relegated us?

You think it is quite alright for Celtic to stipulate that their player cannot play against us, but its OK for us to sell one of our best assets for a measly £300k who could end up costing most of that later? As I said, I don't want Stewart playing against us in the future, so sell him to a club where he won't do us damage in the league or cups.

2 minutes ago, TheDarkBlues said:

The last I read that Raith told United they wanted 100k for him, I have been that busy with the site and forum recently I haven't been keeping up properly, I assumed that united agreed due to the fact that he signed. It couldn't have been far of this or they wouldn't have let him go.

Just because you disagree with my statements, doesn't make them wrong or extreme. The fact that the club stated £1.5m was to put of those who thought that they could just come in at pay peanuts for him, which is exactly what I said the club should do and they have with Stewart and hopefully will with other players in the future.

How would you feel if it was Stewart's goals that stopped us getting top six place or possibly relegated us?

You think it is quite alright for Celtic to stipulate that their player cannot play against us, but its OK for us to sell one of our best assets for a measly £300k who could end up costing most of that later? As I said, I don't want Stewart playing against us in the future, so sell him to a club where he won't do us damage in the league or cups.

Your twisting things mate. All I'm being is realistic. Celtic are within their rights to stop Duffy playing against them, doesn't mean I'm happy about that. I don't personally think GS will see out his deal and I don't think we'll get 7 figures. Never mentioned 300k. Utd reportedly paid 5 figures.

As a fan I want to see the best players play at Dens - which increases the chances of higher league positions / more cup success.

Slapping the £1.5m tag on him makes sense for me and having him here until the end of his deal will increase the above chances. 

For me it's about PH putting the best team on the park possible and selling your best players doesn't fit that model. 

If GS is a professional he will give 100% until he leaves. If not, then you don't really deserve the big move imo. 

4 minutes ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

Your twisting things mate. All I'm being is realistic.

Wasn't my intentions, I pologise if it came across that way.

Celtic are within their rights to stop Duffy playing against them, doesn't mean I'm happy about that.

We are quite within our rights (as a club) to splash whatever price ticket we feel is right for him, Aberdeen apparently weren't happy about it either as they thought they could just get him for whatever price they dictated to us.

I don't personally think GS will see out his deal and I don't think we'll get 7 figures.

I don't think he will either, as I stated in another post. I said the price tag was to deter the likes of Scottish clubs and I believe he will be sold for around £750-900k to an English club.

Never mentioned 300k. 

I never said you did, this was the price tag that was being bantered around for Stewart by Aberdeen, and even lower by Hearts.

Utd reportedly paid 5 figures.

Is that £10.000k or £99.999k?

4 minutes ago, SM1893 said:

As a fan I want to see the best players play at Dens - which increases the chances of higher league positions / more cup success.

Slapping the £1.5m tag on him makes sense for me and having him here until the end of his deal will increase the above chances. 

For me it's about PH putting the best team on the park possible and selling your best players doesn't fit that model. 

If GS is a professional he will give 100% until he leaves. If not, then you don't really deserve the big move imo. 

I would rather him sitting in the stands for a year than scoring goals against us if didn't give us 100% during his time at us, and as you say, he would deserve a move to a 'bigger'  club if he did that.

22 minutes ago, TheDarkBlues said:

You think it is quite alright for Celtic to stipulate that their player cannot play against us, but its OK for us to sell one of our best assets for a measly £300k

That's what I meant by "twisting things". I've never agreed with, or posted, any of that . I agree with Kennedy on this occasion because he's being realistic. We can put whatever valuation on GS head that we want, the reality is we'll get nowhere near that. In my opinion, taking everything into account, his market value is around 1/3 of what's been mentioned, that doesn't mean I'd be happy with that though.

18 minutes ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

That's what I meant by "twisting things". I've never agreed with, or posted, any of that . I agree with Kennedy on this occasion because he's being realistic. We can put whatever valuation on GS head that we want, the reality is we'll get nowhere near that. In my opinion, taking everything into account, his market value is around 1/3 of what's been mentioned, that doesn't mean I'd be happy with that though.

Read my post above regarding this matter, I never ever said that it was YOU! :)

5 minutes ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

Read that first word of your sentence that I quoted. It's YOU!!!!!!.

I have written many sentences and you have quoted quite a few of them, so forgive me for not knowing which one you actually are referring too?

But regardless, I would just like to clarify that my statement or sentence wasn't directed specifically at you regarding the selling price of £300k, but merely a generalisation of the overall discussion by all members of the Dark Blues members as a whole, but not as a fact on this matter (as no one knows all of them, well, maybe expect maybe Paul Hartley as he is the manager and I hope that he at least would be keeping up with everything or we could be needing a new manager and if its not the manager, it must be FPS fault, as we all know that they're just in it for the money considering the HUGE price tag that they have placed on Stewart's head. I would like to think how much they think Hemmings is worth). But that is another topic (which we could possibly disagree on or maybe we might, who knows) entirely.)

Anyway, I hope that I have cleared this up a little more and we can now move on past this 'It was YOU!!' argument or discussion, depending on if you were keyboard bashing or not at the time of writing your posts! :lol2:

It WASN'T YOU! :huh:;)

Adblock Detected