Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Liam Kennedy: Selling Greg Stewart is only option for Dundee

Greg Stewart wants to leave Dundee.

You know it, I know it, I think the whole world knows it after his comments in his exclusive interview with the Tele.

And if I was in the halls of power at Dens Park, I’d be of a mind to grant the forward his wish.

But only at a price that is right for Dundee Football Club.

So far this summer, the club’s stance has been pretty firm on the sales of their prize assets.

Put simply, they are reluctant to let them go.

In fact, managing director John Nelms went as far to say he’d rather let Stewart, who has one year left on his contract, leave for free next summer than get a wedge for him this window.

While that is an admirable stance from the club, it is also a touch foolish in my opinion.

The one thing the whole policy overlooks is the player, who, of course, has ambitions of his own.

I’ve said it before here and I will say it again, in football, no matter who you are, barring probably Real Madrid and Barcelona, there is always a bigger fish ready to come along and snap your players up.

There’s nothing any club can do about it, either. Money makes no difference, neither does winning things.

And sometimes, well, most of the time, that can turn the head of the player.

The club do hold strong cards, though.

Stewart, linked with moves to Rangers, Leeds United, Aberdeen and Hearts so far this summer, is under contract. If the Dark Blues do not want to sell, they don’t have to.

But, to me, while the club should not be held to ransom by any one of their staff, there is little to gain from keeping an unhappy player against his wishes.

His performance levels will no doubt drop and he could be a bad influence.

He could even get injured tomorrow, who knows?

If he wants to leave — accept it. But just make sure you get the right price.

And, unfortunately, £1.5 million is nowhere near a fair valuation, neither is the £200k thrown in the ring by the Dons.

Get treble, or even four times that. I’m sure someone in England could be tempted to dip their toe in at that price.

Stewart’s days at Dens are numbered, whether Dundee like it or not.

View the full article

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

After reading this one it looks like the Tully story teller is upset by the Derry faithful comments on the forum :rolleyes: He kens Greg's wants away and Mr Nelms is a fool... Nice :thumbsup:  Maybe our owners arent like the one across the road.... shaking his ar** about for any offer thats made!! Greg can want away all he wants, It makes no difference!! If no-one makes any bids you want us to just let him fucking go for nowt?Maybe Liam can look into who is actually genuinly intrested in placing a bid or print about their derisory offers or valuations to in turn strengthen our position, instead of trying to drive a wedge between Dundee FC and their player or worse the support. p*ssed off with this guys opinions about our team, waste collum space in what could have helped both parties. fast becoming the worst local paper hope you see this dct :bye:

Edited by MainStandMenace

Liam Kennedy is a complete nugget!! GTF I have had it with this sh*t, and will never buy a DCT paper again.

seems intent on upsetting our players almost on the eve of start of season, ban him from Dens and give him no quotes (mind you the pr**k doesn't seem to need them, just makes up any crap he likes!!)

So just p*ss off and leave our club alone d**khead!!

So the club have allowed a local journalist to travel with the club on our training camp, ask players questions about leaving for bigger clubs and print stories about how our star player clearly can't wait to leave.

Do we not have someone at Dens in charge of handling the media? Can you imagine this happening at Celtic's training camp? How is this kind of story going to help team bonding, generate enthusiasm for the season ahead and help shift season tickets?

Maybe the club are very relaxed about Greg's situation but this article can't be what they had in mind when they agreed to take a DCT journo along.

4 hours ago, MainStandMenace said:

dunno what pisses me off, his inibility to create a decent sensationalised story or the fact he got to go to Austria

Too true!

Hartley should ban this trumpet from the training ground or get him frog marched away to f#*k from the players.

This prize cock is clearly trying to sell Greg himself and won't rest until he's gone.

Fud!!

IMO Dundee will sell Greg Stewart, as soon as he turned down a new deal he was as good as gone. IMO they are more than happy for speculation to make the back pages, of ANY paper. IMO they are using Kennedy to try and drum up interest in an attempt to get half decent cash for GS. Contrary to what John Nelms says I'd be absolutely astounded if GS leaves Dundee for free at the end of his contract.

Edited by Reverend Lovejoy

5 minutes ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

IMO Dundee will sell Greg Stewart, as soon as he turned down a new deal he was as good as gone. IMO they are more than happy for speculation to make the back pages, of ANY paper. IMO they are using Kennedy to try and drum up interest in an attempt to get half decent cash for GS. Contrary to what John Nelms says I'd be absolutely astounded if GS leaves Dundee for free at the end of his contract.

Agree with all of this.  Couldn't have put it better myself.  And before anyone starts this 'people want GS to go' BS, there is nothing I would like more than for GS to sign a new contract and stay with us for the rest of his career.  There is however a fundamental possibility in all of this that folks need to start realising and digest.

He doesn't really want to play for us anymore. 

We don't need players like that around, regardless of how much dosh we think we can flog him for or we think he is worth.

Just hoping that when he does go it isn't to another Scottish club but I'm not holding out much hope.

3 hours ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

BUt how much of a dis-service is he doing the club saying they'd be stupid not to sell him, and then dictating his price?

3 hours ago, Attilio said:

Only one person is saying that, and it isn't the player himself.

That divot Kennedy exaggerates a comment by one of our players about not being keen on playing out wide then within days he doesn't really want to play for us any more? Seriously?

3 hours ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

I think you're right Rev, the club might well be happy for the Courier to run the story, if they weren't then they would limit his access to players or call bullsh1t.

3 hours ago, Attilio said:

Agree with all of this.  Couldn't have put it better myself.  And before anyone starts this 'people want GS to go' BS, there is nothing I would like more than for GS to sign a new contract and stay with us for the rest of his career.  There is however a fundamental possibility in all of this that folks need to start realising and digest.

We don't need players like that around, regardless of how much dosh we think we can flog him for or we think he is worth.

Just hoping that when he does go it isn't to another Scottish club but I'm not holding out much hope.

I don't know if he doesn't want to play for us, I would imagine he's got fond memories of the way his time at Dens has gone. Guessing but could it not be just as likely he's just got more ambitious ? Personally I mean, both financially and craving football success like medals. We've been good for each other and he maybe just wants 'more'. Were any of us 'gutted' when Caniggia moved on ? (I'm not putting GS in the same class as CC, just using him as an example) we were expecting it and while maybe sorry to see him go to another Scottish club we knew it was a possiblilty.

Rev is right with his point about the club allowing him to be there. 

Overall he might be doing good for the club with coverage of the trip/individual interviews etc but (my opinion) ;) it's the way he writes about the dee. 

I used to give DCT's the benifit but over time that's faded.

for instance- the whole we ken,he kens,abidy kens he wants away.. I'm pretty sure Greg kens If no bids are made for him 'which is quite likely' he will be pulling on dark blue until at least Jan.

While the piece might contain the main points about him being available at the right price, it's creating a possible major back lash in that 'what if no bids come in and Greg goes on a bad geme or two..one or two supporters might turn. Why? because a Midweek Tully spread designed to help really was telling the same old story, told the same negative way imo

Over a number of months that will have an impact on your opinion of a player when the chips are down in a game.

Why not drive home the impact he will bring to other teams, his left foot, the impact he's made. PFA award/nomination.Personally I don't care for a reporters opinion but I would not shirk a comparison to other situations and fees generated from them, if it helps put out a clearer picture. 

Again- We would be foolish to not sell... Playing out his contract and not taking peanuts now might be the difference between 5th-10th next season...Granted its his interpretation of things but surely instead of refering to a decision DFC might have to make and the implications so it reads in a possibly negative way.

Who knows maybe he's already away and they are keeping it a secret from us haha but surely Kennedy knows, Nelms knows ;) it would be better to have him if it secures us a cup or a better finish next season in a tougher league campaign than last imo 

maybe it's just the way I read things with by dark blue tinted Gregs on but we all know the impact of decisions made or still yet to make will a poorly orchestrated media presence driving the situation :) 

Edited by MainStandMenace

Adblock Detected