Jump to content

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Greg Stewart will add spark to Dundee team says gaffer Hartley


Recommended Posts

Paul Hartley is backing returning forward Greg Stewart to provide the creative spark Dundee lack.

The 26-year-old gave his gaffer a boost this morning by returning to training with the Dark Blues’ first-team, after missing a week-and-a-half of sessions.

Stewart picked up a thigh problem while at the club’s warm weather pre-season camp in Obertraun, Austria, and has been unable to play a full part in training since.

But Paul believes Stewart’s return could be just the tonic for his team, who struggled at times in the final third during Saturday’s 1-1 draw over 90 minutes, which the Dark Blues then lost on penalties.

“Stewart will hopefully be OK for Dumbarton,” said Paul.

“He will be back training.

“Any team would miss him. Hopefully, he will be able to give us a boost.”

Stewart was not the only one of the Dark Blues’ key men to miss out.

Keeper Scott Bain was not risked having picked up a slight knee problem while the players were away in Central Europe.

It is unclear whether recent Scotland call-up Bain will be available for the Dens Park clash with the Championship outfit this weekend.

Explaining the decision to bring in reserve stopper David Mitchell, who played just twice last season, from the cold, Paul said: “Bain has a little medical problem going on.

“I did not want to risk him in the game, to be honest.

“We will wait and see if he is fit for Saturday.”

Elsewhere on the injury front, Paul says he will again be without Paul McGowan, Nicky Low and long-term absentee James McPake.

Paul revealed McGowan is set to see a specialist in the next fortnight. After that appointment, a return date for the influential midfielder should become clearer.

“We have to look to next week,” said Paul.

“And we will have some players back.”

Reflecting on the disappointment of losing a bonus point at Bayview, Paul said: “The second half wasn’t great.

“You are never sure how you are going to be when you come back and go straight into it.

“First half I thought we were OK, really.

“Second we didn’t perform the way we know we can.”

View the full article

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
5 hours ago, News Anchor said:

Paul Hartley is backing returning forward Greg Stewart to provide the creative spark Dundee lack.

The 26-year-old gave his gaffer a boost this morning by returning to training with the Dark Blues’ first-team, after missing a week-and-a-half of sessions.

Stewart picked up a thigh problem while at the club’s warm weather pre-season camp in Obertraun, Austria, and has been unable to play a full part in training since.

But Paul believes Stewart’s return could be just the tonic for his team, who struggled at times in the final third during Saturday’s 1-1 draw over 90 minutes, which the Dark Blues then lost on penalties.

“Stewart will hopefully be OK for Dumbarton,” said Paul.

“He will be back training.

“Any team would miss him. Hopefully, he will be able to give us a boost.”

Stewart was not the only one of the Dark Blues’ key men to miss out.

Keeper Scott Bain was not risked having picked up a slight knee problem while the players were away in Central Europe.

It is unclear whether recent Scotland call-up Bain will be available for the Dens Park clash with the Championship outfit this weekend.

Explaining the decision to bring in reserve stopper David Mitchell, who played just twice last season, from the cold, Paul said: “Bain has a little medical problem going on.

“I did not want to risk him in the game, to be honest.

“We will wait and see if he is fit for Saturday.”

Elsewhere on the injury front, Paul says he will again be without Paul McGowan, Nicky Low and long-term absentee James McPake.

Paul revealed McGowan is set to see a specialist in the next fortnight. After that appointment, a return date for the influential midfielder should become clearer.

“We have to look to next week,” said Paul.

“And we will have some players back.”

Reflecting on the disappointment of losing a bonus point at Bayview, Paul said: “The second half wasn’t great.

“You are never sure how you are going to be when you come back and go straight into it.

“First half I thought we were OK, really.

“Second we didn’t perform the way we know we can.”

View the full article

 

Good news on GS and I think he will provide that spark, if he plays.  If Bain is carrying a knock, I wouldn't risk him - Mitchell is good enough for Dumbarton at Dens imo.  Concerning re McGowan and this specialist - lets hope it's just to sign him off for a return to full training.  As for Low, I think we should just take it for granted every week that the bloke's injured and then change the announcement when he's fit.

When he is fit, the announcement will be akin to Neville Chamberlain returning from Germany with 'Peace in our time'.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Attilio said:

Good news on GS and I think he will provide that spark, if he plays.  If Bain is carrying a knock, I wouldn't risk him - Mitchell is good enough for Dumbarton at Dens imo.  Concerning re McGowan and this specialist - lets hope it's just to sign him off for a return to full training.  As for Low, I think we should just take it for granted every week that the bloke's injured and then change the announcement when he's fit.

When he is fit, the announcement will be akin to Neville Chamberlain returning from Germany with 'Peace in our time'.

 

I think we will just have to wait and see what happen up until the close of the transfer window. I think these next few week up until then are going to be long and I am sure there will be plenty of debate about Stewart either staying or leaving as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Why hasn't Kennedy asked what the Harkins situation is? Hartley isn't beyond questioning. he should be put on the spot after the east Fife performance. FWIW, I'm happy for Harkins to leave if we use the funds freed up to add to the squad but Hartley still needs to be questioned on whats been made public so far.

Far superior managers than him are asked far more sensitive questions. Kennedy has shown he is bowing down to Hartley and that anything he puts in print comes with the clubs blessing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AMAPC said:

Why hasn't Kennedy asked what the Harkins situation is? Hartley isn't beyond questioning. he should be put on the spot after the east Fife performance. FWIW, I'm happy for Harkins to leave if we use the funds freed up to add to the squad but Hartley still needs to be questioned on whats been made public so far.

Far superior managers than him are asked far more sensitive questions. Kennedy has shown he is bowing down to Hartley and that anything he puts in print comes with the clubs blessing.

 

I imagine it has been asked but Hartley is not keen on letting anything out for whatever reason. If that's the case, Kennedy has two options:

  • Ignore it and move onto other news (i.e. collecting quotes for this Stewart article)
  • Print about the refusal to talk

If Kennedy does the second, Hartley might not be so keen to give quotes out to him so freely and when his job relies on that, he won't want to rock the boat too much. In reality, Kennedy is a relatively junior journalist and he's feeding off the Tayside clubs to get his pay slips and boost his reputation. I don't think we'll see much about this in the press until someone a bit further up the chain from the West Cast press comes to address and the club turn back to Kennedy so they can release the story in their own way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.


×
×
  • Create New...