Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Ggh And Team Morale

Spiritof62

4 minutes ago, barkblue said:

Not saying any of that is wrong. However if PH needs more cash to strengthen the defence, then why did he bring in Yordi and Duffy?

Surely you work on improving the areas most needing it, then move onto to use the rest of the budget however you see fit? Not the other way round.

My take on this is as follows, and I know some might not agree with me, but here goes.

I don't know what has gone on between PH and Jeebies, but I don't think and hope that PH would be that petty to freeze a player out over a player's contract or their wage. I guess that the truth will come out at some point, but I still think that Harkins can do a job for us if nothing more than to pass on his experience to the younger lads in the team.

I'm beginning to think the reason why we haven't brought in another defender is due to us now having a few players that can play in different positions, for example, O'Hara and Williams can play at fullback positions if something was to happen to Kerr or Holt. and we have three players at CB, and we could always play a 442 when required, which means we would have one centre back that's just for cover there. I'm not sure, but can Holt and O'Hara play CB as well?

When we look at Harkins position, we have three players who could easily fill that role, Stewart, Wighton or Vincent and I have a funny feeling that when fit, Vincent will fill that role.

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

It's fitting that we play Dumbarton tomorrow. Last time they came to Dens, we had the game sewn up within half an hour thanks to two assists from Harkins. The first one was an absolute beauty of a pass for McGinn to open the scoring. Be interesting to see if we struggle to break them down without GGH.

4 minutes ago, TheDarkBlues said:

My take on this is as follows, and I know some might not agree with me, but here goes.

I don't know what has gone on between PH and Jeebies, but I don't think and hope that PH would be that petty to freeze a player out over a player's contract or their wage. I guess that the truth will come out at some point, but I still think that Harkins can do a job for us if nothing more than to pass on his experience to the younger lads in the team.

I'm beginning to think the reason why we haven't brought in another defender is due to us now having a few players that can play in different positions, for example, O'Hara and Williams can play at fullback positions if something was to happen to Kerr or Holt. and we have three players at CB, and we could always play a 442 when required, which means we would have one centre back that's just for cover there. I'm not sure, but can Holt and O'Hara play CB as well?

When we look at Harkins position, we have three players who could easily fill that role, Stewart, Wighton or Vincent and I have a funny feeling that when fit, Vincent will fill that role.

Think you've given us more questions than answers there mate.

Not a clue about what has gone on, the same perhaps as many on this site!  Its all rumours and gossip I suspect and while I do not wish any player difficulties with the manager, the manager has to be the main man. The rest just have to accept that. 

Edited by EuanG

Just now, Reverend Lovejoy said:

Think you've given us more questions than answers there mate.

Probably because like everyone else, I am confused to see this come up regarding Harkins. I would like the club to come out that the rumours are true and  with a definitive reason why he is being frozen out of the team. The guy has spent a long time at the club, and even though he divides opinions between the support, I for one would rather he was playing for us, rather than against us.

I'm sure we will find out the truth sometime in the future.

9 minutes ago, TheDarkBlues said:

You may well be right TDB and I appreciate that with a smaller squad having players who are quite versatile is a huge bonus.

However for me what it results in is constant compromise unless you have your starting 11 available every week. 

If you look at last season, most players were shoved about the park in a desperate attempt to constantly plug gaps and fit formations. 

I get with our squad size and budget that we will never have two players for each position, but we seem to be constantly in a halfway house situation of making the best of what we've got week and week out. One injury and the whole teams needs to be reshuffled.

2 minutes ago, TheDarkBlues said:

Probably because like everyone else, I am confused to see this come up regarding Harkins. I would like the club to come out that the rumours are true and  with a definitive reason why he is being frozen out of the team. The guy has spent a long time at the club, and even though he divides opinions between the support, I for one would rather he was playing for us, rather than against us.

I'm sure we will find out the truth sometime in the future.

I'm kinda thinking that a major breach of rules could result in a sacking. That hasn't happened. So, while I'm still thinking something has gone on, it's likely not a major breach. So that begs the question that IF Gary has been told to train with the youths then why?. It all seems a bit disrespectful to a guy who has given us some of his best years and some fantastic football, most notably in the Deefiant season. It appears from the outside the he is being forced out and the 2yr deal on reduced wages that he didn't sign just adds to the controversy.

2 minutes ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

I'm kinda thinking that a major breach of rules could result in a sacking. That hasn't happened. So, while I'm still thinking something has gone on, it's likely not a major breach. So that begs the question that IF Gary has been told to train with the youths then why?. It all seems a bit disrespectful to a guy who has given us some of his best years and some fantastic football, most notably in the Deefiant season. It appears from the outside the he is being forced out and the 2yr deal on reduced wages that he didn't sign just adds to the controversy.

I possibly believe the issue was down to the renewed contract with the massivly reduced wages.

Maybe Harkins has stated that he would rather take the 1 year and sit in the stands, and this wasn't the desired outcome that Hartley wanted, maybe he thought he would either take the reduced wages and a two year contract or looked for another club and this is PH way of making Harkins decide, and if true, its pretty disrepectful to a player who has given a lot for the club.

Yet again, there could have been an altercation between both of them due to the contract where Harkins stepped out of line that would have gotten any other player the sack, PH could have shown a respect to him and told him that he is free to leave, but cannot train with the full team squad.

I do however think that there is something to do with the wages, and with Harkins moving on this could pave the way for us bringing in another player Hartely thinks could do a better job elswhere, now that Jeebs is surplus to requirements.

All cloak and dagger stuff.

1 minute ago, TheDarkBlues said:

I possibly believe the issue was down to the renewed contract with the massivly reduced wages.

Maybe Harkins has stated that he would rather take the 1 year and sit in the stands, and this wasn't the desired outcome that Hartley wanted, maybe he thought he would either take the reduced wages and a two year contract or looked for another club and this is PH way of making Harkins decide, and if true, its pretty disrepectful to a player who has given a lot for the club.

Yet again, there could have been an altercation between both of them due to the contract where Harkins stepped out of line that would have gotten any other player the sack, PH could have shown a respect to him and told him that he is free to leave, but cannot train with the full team squad.

I do however think that there is something to do with the wages, and with Harkins moving on this could pave the way for us bringing in another player Hartely thinks could do a better job elswhere, now that Jeebs is surplus to requirements.

All cloak and dagger stuff.

Think that's probably about right.

Plenty boys that can play in the same position as Harkins?  Maybe but can they do the same job?  As well as his often sublime touches and passes, Harkins also brings a physicality to the line up.   He isn't easily shoved off the ball like a few of the others may be and in an already lightweight squad that's important imo.  As far as I am concerned, with his recent injury history, Vincent is an 'if fit' rather than 'when fit'.  I'll be satisfied when I've seen him put 3 or 4 consecutive starts together.

It seems that no one outside the club knows exactly what has transpired to result in this situation but if it's just a few verbals or a difference of opinion then that is about as childish as it comes.  He may well move on shortly but on the other hand nothing would surprise me less if he is called upon the first time things go pear-shaped.

20 minutes ago, Attilio said:

Plenty boys that can play in the same position as Harkins?  Maybe but can they do the same job?  As well as his often sublime touches and passes, Harkins also brings a physicality to the line up.   He isn't easily shoved off the ball like a few of the others may be and in an already lightweight squad that's important imo.

Good point about physicality. When Hamilton came to Dens top of the league and looking unbeatable it was Harkins' strength in the air to set up Stewart that turned the game in our favour.

Adblock Detected