Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Will We Ever Get Decent Money For A Player Again?

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

.......with news that Birmingham may offer £250k for Greg Stewart (Sun...I know!) - we got one season from Hemmings.

Can we also ever build a team if the good players are sold for peanuts or run down contracts and walk? Guess we are pond life in the big football pool.

Bain might be our best hope of getting big money if we can finally get him in a Scotland jersey and he proves himself on the International stage. I cant help thinking that if Strachan had given Stewart 1 or 2 caps and he'd done well we'd have had decent bids for his services by now.

I just don't think that playing consistently well in the SPFL is enough to convince big English clubs to part with the type of money we're looking for, especially at 26yrs old and with only 1yr to go contract wise.

1 hour ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

Bain might be our best hope of getting big money if we can finally get him in a Scotland jersey and he proves himself on the International stage. I cant help thinking that if Strachan had given Stewart 1 or 2 caps and he'd done well we'd have had decent bids for his services by now.

I just don't think that playing consistently well in the SPFL is enough to convince big English clubs to part with the type of money we're looking for, especially at 26yrs old and with only 1yr to go contract wise.

I agree re Bain & Stewart, that even a couple of international appearances seems to make a difference to market value, and it broadens awareness of them. Bain's the right age to offer clubs a long-term spell at top level. Stewart's still young enough for a 3/4-year deal, it's just a pity he's into his final year with us, which is bound to affect any offer we may get.

Sadly, I think you're also right about the SPFL's perceived level in england, and our tabloid media certainly don't help the case by constantly rubbishing everything the SPFL, SFA & national squad try to do. We can't seem to shake off the inherent (inbred?) desire to be seen as a wee rubbishy country who can't do anything right. It's time we changed that attitude.  

2 hours ago, WoodStein said:

I agree re Bain & Stewart, that even a couple of international appearances seems to make a difference to market value, and it broadens awareness of them. Bain's the right age to offer clubs a long-term spell at top level. Stewart's still young enough for a 3/4-year deal, it's just a pity he's into his final year with us, which is bound to affect any offer we may get.

Sadly, I think you're also right about the SPFL's perceived level in england, and our tabloid media certainly don't help the case by constantly rubbishing everything the SPFL, SFA & national squad try to do. We can't seem to shake off the inherent (inbred?) desire to be seen as a wee rubbishy country who can't do anything right. It's time we changed that attitude.  

To be honest, the Scottish clubs performances in Europe and the national teams performances for the last 20 years fairly well prove the point about the state of the game here. We're miles off the pace of even average European leagues.

Adblock Detected