Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Whats Changing?

deefly78

After our last 5/6 games were we have been rubbish Hartleys post match comments state how we must play better and basically how poor we have been. So what is he doing about it?? Nothing has changed on the park, how is he trying to fix this?? There seems to be no belief within the players just now, its up to Hartley now to get them believing again.

Playing poor players again and again is saying to me he is willing to put up with this garbage, give the you boys a chance surely they cant be any worse

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The players for us just now are not cutting it, Hartley said at the start he will drop.anyone who is not cutting it and that's not happened, they all know they can perform like this and still play week in week out.

We must strengthen in January or we will be fighting against relegation AGAIN.

We are getting worse rather than improving

Playing poor players again and again is saying to me he is willing to put up with this garbage, give the you boys a chance surely they cant be any worse

The players for us just now are not cutting it, Hartley said at the start he will drop.anyone who is not cutting it and that's not happened, they all know they can perform like this and still play week in week out.

We must strengthen in January or we will be fighting against relegation AGAIN.

We are getting worse rather than improving

I'm not saying that selection has been perfect but can you guys maybe make specific suggestions and pick out specific errors that Hartley has made. I think there has been a massive overreaction recently and a lot of wild claims have been thrown around. In reality, we've not had thousands of options in the squad and the manager hasn't had much choice.

Quite a lot of it has been put down to McGowan so let's analyse our last six games which deefly has mentioned in his last post:

Celtic Away (2-1 loss)

Paul McGowan has his first absence as we travel to the league champions away from home. Battled brilliantly for 90 minutes and were unlucky to not get a point.

Team selection of:

Bain

McGinn, McPake, Konrad, Irvine

Thomson, McAlister

McGowan, Harkins, Stewart

Clarkson

Proven to be spot on.

Aberdeen Home (2-1 win)

Same lime up deservedly start. Really have to dig in and look set to take a draw but a late confident run from McPake secures us a win as he heads the ball down to an unmarked Clarkson who fires away.

Inverness Home (1-2 loss)

We welcome one of the leagues top sides as we go into the game on a high after our great result in the Cup. No changes again. After going a goal up, we lose Greg Stewart early on which is quite a big blow and the untested Simon Ferry returns which causes a few problems. We lose a goal after an hour and Hartley's job becomes more difficult losing Kevin Thomson to injury. I would give one criticism here though as I think we should have maybe shut up shop but we kept piling forward looking for a winner (probably intoxicated by Aberdeen game) and with three minutes to go we lose. It felt quite painful and maybe there is some regret but it's far from surprising and we didn't really perform that badly.

Hamilton Away (2-1 loss)

This is where the 'problems' start. We are away to a Hamilton side who have been performing very well and who have given a few teams a hiding and have lost Thomson and Stewart. Trying to keep some balance, Hartley ops for two changes which results in Roberts coming into Stewart's position on the left wing and Ferry taking Thomson's in holding midfield:

Bain

McAlister, Ferry

Boyle, Harkins, Roberts

Clarkson

We find out that Ferry and Roberts aren't really adequate replacements for the players who they have come in for and we go two goals behind (a bit of bad fortune involved IMO) quite early. Eventually in the second half we brought on a half fit Stewart who almost single handedly salvages a point. The other options in the squad to start were:

-Unfit Greg Stewart (injured the previous week)

-Unfit Craig Wighton (he'd been out of the squad in previous weeks through injury)

-Unfit Kevin McBride (see above)

-Untried defender Matty Allan

-Untried defender Cammy Black (may have been defender/midfielder John Black but can't find out)

-Willie Dyer

-Luka Tankulic (I think he had a knock though but not 100% sure)

So basically he picked the team who had served him well and brought in the only players available

Partick Away (1-1)

After the previous week, there was a lot of anger and something had to change. The only fit players available that could be brought in were Letheren, Stewart, Thomson (arguably still unfit), Davidson (recovering from injury), Dyer and Tankulic. Harkins was suspended, Bain injured and with Boyle and Roberts having been singled out as having underperformed; Hartley was forced into three changes through injury and made two of his own accord to tighten things up and remove the players who had come under fire. There weren't any more options apart from Tankulic and Davidson to bring in.

Letheren

Irvine, McPake, Konrad, Dyer

Thomson, Ferry

McGinn, Stewart, McAlister

Clarkson

We went there and were a bit more cautious with a few players still lacking fitness. After going a goal down, the three attacking options were thrown on (Tankulic, Roberts and Boyle) and we managed to pressure Partick into a mistake which took a valuable point. Think Hartley actually got this game right tbh. We even lost McBride in the warm up. Scrappy game but after the loss last week, it was a good point to get.

St Mirren Home (3-1 loss)

Covered a lot but let's just analyse team selection. Ferry was out injured leading to one forced change. Playing the team at the bottom of the league at home (despite an improved game against Motherwell last week) meant that Hartley decided to use his attacking options to bring in Boyle back on the wing and Tankulic for the injured Ferry which put McAllister back in holding midfield with Thomson which was relatively successful at the start of the six game run.

Letheren

Boyle, Thomson, McAlister, Stewart

Tankulic, Clarkson

Gary Harkins returned and was placed on the bench. Out of these six games, I only believe that he maybe set this team up wrong and should have played Harkins with one of the forwards given his creative spark that we miss. I can see sense in his decision though as he obviously felt that Tankulic had performed well enough from the bench and he didn't have a totally awful game. Think we would have won if they'd played well and put an early chance away and the system wasn't that broken.

My Verdict

We've had a tough time recently but we've been due a tough run this season. Not a time to totally overreact though. This bad run doesn't actually stretch that far back and it can easily be attributed to a lack of options and injuries. Being critical though, we should have got a point against Inverness at home but went too open (which Hartley did seem to learn from a week later and made sure we weren't too exposed away to a good Thistle side) and yesterday was a ###### team performance.

I'd like to plead with everyone to have a bit of patience and actually wait to see how things play out over the course of the season. I've seen many people here claim Hartley has refused to change things but it's complete garbage and when you look at matches where players have performed badly (e.g. Boyle and Roberts at Hamilton) then they have been dropped IF A FIT replacement has been available.

EDIT: Spelling

• Like 4

That superb analysis highlights the overreaction that's occurred. We're going through a bad spell and it is likely to get worse on Thursday which is a sore one to take, but it is by no means near the end of the world and deserving for shouts for Hartley's head, tearing individuals in the squad to pieces and saying it was worse than it has ever been.

Panto season is in full swing.

Who is shouting for Hartleys head???? He has made many bad subs ie yesterday bringing Roberts for Boyle, taking off the tank for Harkins are just some of the poor decisions. Against Inverness when Stewart got injured he went so negative with Ferry coming on, Hartley when first came here wouldn't have done that.

I know he is still learning but we are poor and the Las game we played well was the Celtic game. We were extremely lucky to beat Aberdeen and got dominated for 80 mins of that game so you can all sugar coat our performances but we have been crap. No game changers on that park

Excellent analysis Harry .....Greatest respect for the work,time and effort you have put into this.

Even those posters who might disagree with your own perspective, and fairly, hold a different opinion, from your own, are still nevertheless unlikely to fault your post and how it was presented..

• Like 1

Good stuff Harry.. I would say the start of our slump goes back a little further than the Hamilton game. Against ICT we were terrific in the first half but fell to pieces in the second. in my opinion we didn't deserve anything from that game by the time the final whistle blew. We've not seen a decent performance since either :-(

Well said Harry

We need to be realistic here over the past few weeks the team has been changed due to injuries and suspensions. With a fit squad we have a decent starting 11 but after that the quality declines and are bringing in players of lesser quality who aren't match fit due to lack of playing time.

Realistically if we can bring in 1 or 2 in January and just stay in this league this year then it gives Hartely another summer to strengthen and we can aim higher next year.

This season was always going to be difficult being our first season up with a squad in transition. We just need to be patient and at the end of the season if we finish 10th that will be a success then we build for next year.

I'm not saying that selection has been perfect but can you guys maybe make specific suggestions and pick out specific errors that Hartley has made. I think there has been a massive overreaction recently and a lot of wild claims have been thrown around. In reality, we've not had thousands of options in the squad and the manager hasn't had much choice.

Quite a lot of it has been put down to McGowan so let's analyse our last six games which deefly has mentioned in his last post:

Celtic Away (2-1 loss)

Paul McGowan has his first absence as we travel to the league champions away from home. Battled brilliantly for 90 minutes and were unlucky to not get a point.

Team selection of:

Bain

Thomson, McAlister

McGowan, Harkins, Stewart

Clarkson

Proven to be spot on.

Aberdeen Home (2-1 win)

Same lime up deservedly start. Really have to dig in and look set to take a draw but a late confident run from McPake secures us a win as he heads the ball down to an unmarked Clarkson who fires away.

Inverness Home (1-2 loss)

We welcome one of the leagues top sides as we go into the game on a high after our great result in the Cup. No changes again. After going a goal up, we lose Greg Stewart early on which is quite a big blow and the untested Simon Ferry returns which causes a few problems. We lose a goal after an hour and Hartley's job becomes more difficult losing Kevin Thomson to injury. I would give one criticism here though as I think we should have maybe shut up shop but we kept piling forward looking for a winner (probably intoxicated by Aberdeen game) and with three minutes to go we lose. It felt quite painful and maybe there is some regret but it's far from surprising and we didn't really perform that badly.

Hamilton Away (2-1 loss)

This is where the 'problems' start. We are away to a Hamilton side who have been performing very well and who have given a few teams a hiding and have lost Thomson and Stewart. Trying to keep some balance, Hartley ops for two changes which results in Roberts coming into Stewart's position on the left wing and Ferry taking Thomson's in holding midfield:

Bain

McAlister, Ferry

Boyle, Harkins, Roberts

Clarkson

We find out that Ferry and Roberts aren't really adequate replacements for the players who they have come in for and we go two goals behind (a bit of bad fortune involved IMO) quite early. Eventually in the second half we brought on a half fit Stewart who almost single handedly salvages a point. The other options in the squad to start were:

-Unfit Greg Stewart (injured the previous week)

-Unfit Craig Wighton (he'd been out of the squad in previous weeks through injury)

-Unfit Kevin McBride (see above)

-Untried defender Matty Allan

-Untried defender Cammy Black (may have been defender/midfielder John Black but can't find out)

-Willie Dyer

-Luka Tankulic (I think he had a knock though but not 100% sure)

So basically he picked the team who had served him well and brought in the only players available

Partick Away (1-1)

After the previous week, there was a lot of anger and something had to change. The only fit players available that could be brought in were Letheren, Stewart, Thomson (arguably still unfit), Davidson (recovering from injury), Dyer and Tankulic. Harkins was suspended, Bain injured and with Boyle and Roberts having been singled out as having underperformed; Hartley was forced into three changes through injury and made two of his own accord to tighten things up and remove the players who had come under fire. There weren't any more options apart from Tankulic and Davidson to bring in.

Letheren

Irvine, McPake, Konrad, Dyer

Thomson, Ferry

McGinn, Stewart, McAlister

Clarkson

We went there and were a bit more cautious with a few players still lacking fitness. After going a goal down, the three attacking options were thrown on (Tankulic, Roberts and Boyle) and we managed to pressure Partick into a mistake which took a valuable point. Think Hartley actually got this game right tbh. We even lost McBride in the warm up. Scrappy game but after the loss last week, it was a good point to get.

St Mirren Home (3-1 loss)

Covered a lot but let's just analyse team selection. Ferry was out injured leading to one forced change. Playing the team at the bottom of the league at home (despite an improved game against Motherwell last week) meant that Hartley decided to use his attacking options to bring in Boyle back on the wing and Tankulic for the injured Ferry which put McAllister back in holding midfield with Thomson which was relatively successful at the start of the six game run.

Letheren

Boyle, Thomson, McAlister, Stewart

Tankulic, Clarkson

Gary Harkins returned and was placed on the bench. Out of these six games, I only believe that he maybe set this team up wrong and should have played Harkins with one of the forwards given his creative spark that we miss. I can see sense in his decision though as he obviously felt that Tankulic had performed well enough from the bench and he didn't have a totally awful game. Think we would have won if they'd played well and put an early chance away and the system wasn't that broken.

My Verdict

We've had a tough time recently but we've been due a tough run this season. Not a time to totally overreact though. This bad run doesn't actually stretch that far back and it can easily be attributed to a lack of options and injuries. Being critical though, we should have got a point against Inverness at home but went too open (which Hartley did seem to learn from a week later and made sure we weren't too exposed away to a good Thistle side) and yesterday was a ###### team performance.

I'd like to plead with everyone to have a bit of patience and actually wait to see how things play out over the course of the season. I've seen many people here claim Hartley has refused to change things but it's complete garbage and when you look at matches where players have performed badly (e.g. Boyle and Roberts at Hamilton) then they have been dropped IF A FIT replacement has been available.

EDIT: Spelling

Far too sensible Harry, this isn't the time for a thoughtful approach, lets just have a good old rant. 

shouting.gif

Adblock Detected