Ground InformationGround Nick NameOpened 1891Capacity 10,104 (all seated) seatsRecord AttedancePitch Size: 113 x 70 yardsPitch Type GrassHeating No
Stark's Park is a football stadium in Kirkcaldy, Scotland. It is the home ground of Raith Rovers, who have played there since 1891. As of 2016, the ground has an all-seated capacity of 8,867.
The ground was opened in 1891 (this is actually when Raith started using it, it has been around longer) and seats 8,867. It is located in Kirkcaldy, Fife. The park can clearly be seen from the railway line on the route between Edinburgh and Aberdeen.
The unusual L-shaped main stand that houses the players dressing facilities and the supporters lounge was designed by the renowned Grandstand architect Archibald Leitch and was built with part funding from the sale of Alex James to Preston North End in 1925. Other funding came from a loan scheme that was not finally paid off until 1946. The terracing was open to the elements except for a covered enclosure affectionately known as the "coo shed" which stood opposite the main stand and ran approximately two-thirds of the length of the pitch. The ash and railway sleeper terracing which surrounded all sides of the ground except the stand enclosure was replaced with new concrete works in the north and south enclosures behind the goals. This work being carried out in the 1950s when a shed was erected at either end to give partial covering to the supporters. Typical of several football grounds of the time the club sold advertising space on the pitched asbestos roofs of the covered areas to companies such as R'bt Hutchison & Co (Youma Bread), The Evening Dispatch, Nelsons Cigarettes and Barnett & Morton Ltd, the local ironmonger who had erected the sheds. Shortly after the above terrace was upgraded, four large floodlighting pylons similar to those at Tynecastle Park were erected to allow evening midweek fixtures to be played all year round. Most of the cost of the above work was covered (as had become the norm) by the sale of assets, the most notable of those being Jackie Stewart to Birmingham City, Jim Baxter to Rangers and Jimmy MacEwan to Aston Villa, the latter deal also leading to Villa travelling north to play in the first match under the new lights.
The ground then remained unchanged for almost thirty years until the departure of a modern-day Alex James in the form of striker Andy Harrow who in 1981 was sold to Luton Town. The sale of this latest asset allowed the board to demolish the antiquated railway enclosure and build a 1,000 seat stand on the south side and terraced concrete steps at the north side. This was how the ground was to remain until more redevelopment in the early 1990s. Anticipating a swift return after relegation from the Premier league in 1992 the board spent £250,000 on upgrading the north and south ends of the ground when the 1950s concrete was taken up and new terracing and crush barriers erected, although the sheds remained. Though the board's confidence in achieving promotion was well founded the money spent was to prove a poor investment as after the last home game of season 1995–96 the bulldozers returned and demolished both ends of the ground and the railway enclosure.
Barr Construction were appointed to redevelop the stadium. Two 3,370 seat stands with inbuilt floodlight towers behind each goal and a 1000-seat stand to join onto the 1980s railway (new) stand were erected. This work brought the ground capacity up to a creditable 10,700 all seater. During all of the above changes the main pavilion remained totally unchanged with its asbestos roof, concrete steps and wooden seats and benches. A new metal roof and plastic seating were finally installed in 1999 which slightly reduced the spectator capacity to 8,473. As of the 2017/2018 season the railway stand is to be converted into a standing support section adding to the total capacity which will become 11198. Since the start of the new millennium there have been no more alterations
The ground is often referred to by fans as the San Starko, in jesting reference to the San Siro.
Stark’s Park is the home of Raith Rovers, and is situated in the south of Kirkcaldy.
There are four stands…
- The Turnbull Hutton (Main) Stand is the oldest, and sits in the southeast corner of the site. The main stand houses the administration offices and player facilities.
- The Penman Family (South) Stand is one of the two larger stands, and houses the home support.
- The McDermid (North) Stand is directly opposite, and is used to house away support.
- The Railway Stand runs down the length of the pitch, with some seating available towards the north end.
Access to the McDermid and Railway Stands is through the North entrance. The Turnbull Hutton and Penman Stands can be accessed via the south entrance (ramp).
Travelling to Stark’s Park
By Train – Kirkcaldy Railway Station is situated to the North of the stadium and within easy walking distance (approximately 1 mile) of the stadium. On leaving platform 2, walk onto Whyte Melville Road towards the Railway Bridge then turn right and continue towards Beveridge Park Roundabout. Thereafter continue onto Abbotshall Road to Pratt Street.
By Car – From A92, leave dual carriageway at Kirkcaldy West, take the 3rd exit signposted A910 Town Centre and continue on that route to Kirkcaldy Railway Station. The ‘station’ car park is available for use and can be accessed from exit 2. There is additional but limited parking at Beveridge Park Car Park. To the south of the stadium, there is significant public and ‘on street parking’ in and around the esplanade. If parking ‘on street’, patrons are asked to park responsibly and be aware of some local restrictions. Pratt Street will be closed to traffic at least 30 minutes prior to kick off.
By Coach – Supporters coaches can be accommodated in the Beveridge Park car park (40 spaces)and on the esplanade. There is no general drop off facility at the stadium due to restricted access. Patrons using public transport can exit Kirkcaldy Bus Station and make their way via High Street to Links Street and thereafter arrive at Pratt Street South.
Blue Badge Parking – There are 12 spaces available at the rear of the North (Val McDermid) Stand which are offered on a first come first served basis. Any special drop off arrangements should be made directly to the club prior to match day. (01592 263514)
Parent & Child £20
Junior (Under 16): £8
Senior Citizen (Over 65): £8
College/Uni Concession (only available for non-ticketed matches)(proof of status req): £10
Jobseeker Concession (only available for non-ticketed matches)(proof of status req): £10
Disability & Carer Concession (Disabled person, Carer = FREE): £8