Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Modern Managers

Spiritof62

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

I do agree Boba. However when a side, as Hearts did, up their work rate, get in your face and decide to play rough house, passing through the middle of the park isn't always the best option. Also, we know we are not going to have all our players fit every game, so if there isn't a ready made replacement, a different is approach isn't a nice thing to have, it is a necessity. I don't care about Christmas trees, diamonds, or whatever other S***e they call it now, I do care that we are capable of not just playing the same way week in week out - unless it is ensuring success of course, which it isn't always. 

Having an out ball of a wide man who can stretch a team, or keep their wide midfielders busy at the wrong end of the park. Or/And a target up front which can, even for a short time, while you weather the storm, cut out the middle of the park where you're losing the battle would allow us to regroup without losing the battle for 10 minutes (the dump for example).

It's not a case of over complicating things. Far from it. However good (not great) teams/managers/players can adapt during games to two or three styles which can turn a game. I mean Aberdeen, ICT last season, Hearts are all capable of it.

Hearts did it against us, by changing shape in the midfield and altering their style and it worked. Call it over complicating it if you want, but I'd prefer to call it effective.

Totally accept that we need to be adaptable and have the ability to change systems to see out games or react to situations..

My main point is we should be focusing on what works for us first and foremost. We know what we're good at so let's play to our strengths instead of trying to second guess what the opposition are going to do.

Last night and Saturday are good examples of what happens when it goes wrong (one more so than the other to be fair)

I am as frustrated as the next Dee when we retract into ourselves and start the tippy tappy stuff through the middle of the park with umpteen five yard passes but the truth is we don't always play that way.

In some games this season we've played loads of football out wide and stretched the opposition. In fact, three of our four goals on opening day came from out wide.

I think we're getting blinkered by the ineffective tippy tappy style when we're either low on confidence or asking the players to play in positions they don't fancy in a system they don't particularly understand. It seems that is our default setting when our backs are against the wall and that's what we need to focus on changing IMO.

It is a top post.

Does it deal with what we do when Thomson and Loy aren't playing though?

No really...

The same could be said about any player mate..

What your describing is an injury crisis that we're currently experiencing and can't really legislate for in all honesty.

There are not many teams who can soak up injuries to half a dozen first team starters without being weakened significantly and we're no different.

KT doesn't play - Low moves into the middle with GGH deeper or Gowser.

Loy doesn't play - at present it would be Stewart up top with Hemmings and Carreiro behind them..

PH has found his best team shape IMO. He's now got the challenge of getting the balance within the squad right with less than a week of the transfer window left.

One things for sure - we can't afford any passengers (we currently have at least three)

Totally accept that we need to be adaptable and have the ability to change systems to see out games or react to situations..

My main point is we should be focusing on what works for us first and foremost. We know what we're good at so let's play to our strengths instead of trying to second guess what the opposition are going to do.

Last night and Saturday are good examples of what happens when it goes wrong (one more so than the other to be fair)

I am as frustrated as the next Dee when we retract into ourselves and start the tippy tappy stuff through the middle of the park with umpteen five yard passes but the truth is we don't always play that way.

In some games this season we've played loads of football out wide and stretched the opposition. In fact, three of our four goals on opening day came from out wide.

I think we're getting blinkered by the ineffective tippy tappy style when we're either low on confidence or asking the players to play in positions they don't fancy in a system they don't particularly understand. It seems that is our default setting when our backs are against the wall and that's what we need to focus on changing IMO.

I think we're basically saying the same things Boba.

My point has been, that we all know (and I'm not moaning, just saying) that certain players are going to be missing for some games (or more than some) and expecting guys who aren't as good to step in and play the same way hasn't and won't work against good teams (and last night, not so good) who can counter the style we play.

Against Killie and Utd first half, Thomson ran the show and made others play well. He spread the ball and allowed Harkins time and room to move the ball about and create width. Low may also be able to do similar if needed (he looked great against StJ). However with neither available, McGown looks uncomfortable in that role and Harkins looks shackled by it.

Therefore having the personal to adapt the system surely has to be advisable?

Add to that, that Loy playing alongside Hemmings allows Stewart room to be free to drop deep, play wide, or through the middle and again, his absence has blunted what we are looking to achieve.

I'm not advocating we move away from a passing game, or change to five across the middle, or whatever. - with everyone available we fit PH's preferred system like a glove. However having so few options that we lump McPake into attack because we lack that sort of presence in the squad, shows that PH does want to have that type of flexibility, we just don't right now. 

Edited by barkblue

The same could be said about any player mate..

What your describing is an injury crisis that we're currently experiencing and can't really legislate for in all honesty.

There are not many teams who can soak up injuries to half a dozen first team starters without being weakened significantly and we're no different.

KT doesn't play - Low moves into the middle with GGH deeper or Gowser.

Loy doesn't play - at present it would be Stewart up top with Hemmings and Carreiro behind them..

PH has found his best team shape IMO. He's now got the challenge of getting the balance within the squad right with less than a week of the transfer window left.

One things for sure - we can't afford any passengers (we currently have at least three)

I don't think it can. If McGinn or Holt go out injured, we bring in Irvine and play the same way. We have 3 CBs that allow us not to have to alter the system. 

However in front of that, we have a ton of options, but when Thomson is out we lack. Low looks to be the answer, but he's out too. Loy is key for me too. I don't think we are talking about half a dozen injured here, but take three out (they are also the three you've named) and we look a bit lost. Then and only then, should we feel the need to adapt our style. The sad thing is, that it seems without Thomson or Low we were left going five across the back.

None of Roberts, Tank or Ferry would be the answer anyway, so I'm simply not counting any of these "unavailable" players (none of these guys are injured, are they? They've all been on the bench in recent weeks and simply not got on unless they had to (Tank Vs StJ).

I'm still hopeful that Low will come good and get a good run of games.

Way to early to be resigned to losing him as frequently as say KT..

Loy I'm not so sure about.. He has only just come back from a serious long term injury this pre season and as so often happens, he's picked another one up. Not sure if there are long term underlying issues with him or not (obviously crossing my fingers that there are none)

What I am certain of is that Hartley, McCabe, Ritchie and the medical staff need to be sitting down and carrying out a review of our training methods.

A full analysis of all regular exercises and training methods needs to take place.

Something that we're doing is exacerbating these fatigue type injuries. I'm convinced of it.

Edited by Boba Fett

I do tend to agree regarding Low. He hasn't played that many games in recent seasons, so maybe once he gets a few under his belt he'll be able to put the injuries behind him.

Thomson on the other hand we are under no illusions about.

Totally agree with your assessment on Loy. However I don't think allowing him to play at the dump when he clearly wasn't fit has helped in the long run, hopefully it doesn't prove an ongoing issue because of it now. I think the boy could have a great season if he can get fit.

Fitness and training were meant to be among Hartley's strong points. He's maybe been incredibly unlucky, but with us now into our second season of this type of thing, it feels like a deeper issue.

Adblock Detected