Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

SLO Meeting Update

scottg

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Further to what Scott says above I had a chat with the SLO last night.

First off I'd like to say that I found him to be a thoroughly decent bloke who's heart is definitely in the right place, we've absolutely no concerns over his commitment to the role or his support of our club. I won't go into too many details, as it wouldn't be fair to the man but I know that he regularly goes above and beyond what would be reasonably expected from a SLO and from a football fan. I think we maybe need to cut him a wee bit of slack. I got the impression that he was genuinely upset at some of the criticism that's been aimed in his direction. After speaking to him I was buoyed by what he had to say and encouraged that we have people like him supporting our club. I'm not going to fawn over him too much as there's still work to be done but last night's chat definitely showed me that we have the right man for the SLO role.

11 hours ago, scottg said:

Our SLO was up at Dens today with the questions, concerns and points of view recently sent his way. He intimated he was in for a good while and has some admin to do before sending out responses from the Club MD to both individuals and groups. At this stage I’m personally pleased with this as an outcome without rightly knowing any of the detail. There will I’m sure be plenty of debate and discussion when the answers are offered, for now I only think it’s fair to say well done and thanks to Burkie, JN and everyone who responded to what was just a post on a website less than a week ago.

Great news. Just shows what a wee bit of publicity can do. Low awareness of SLO certainly on here but that little nudge among like-minded Dees has hopefully started the ball rolling. Let’s keep it going with regular communications and constructive feedback. Sounds like we have a good guy in the role. 

Love how the site changes the title of the post from SLO to Slo !!! John is keen to avoid coming on the forums and has asked me to post the following message for him which I don’t mind doing ! 

He is looking for any of the ‘young guys over in The Derry’ that have any issues, ideas or concerns they wish to discuss with him to drop him a note and he will get back to them. He heard there were a group looking to discuss some sort of official tie up with the Club and if there is he would love to help, encourage and support them in any way he could. 

John can be contacted at [email protected]

11 hours ago, scottg said:

Our SLO was up at Dens today with the questions, concerns and points of view recently sent his way. He intimated he was in for a good while and has some admin to do before sending out responses from the Club MD to both individuals and groups. At this stage I’m personally pleased with this as an outcome without rightly knowing any of the detail. There will I’m sure be plenty of debate and discussion when the answers are offered, for now I only think it’s fair to say well done and thanks to Burkie, JN and everyone who responded to what was just a post on a website less than a week ago.

To be fair Scott… this result of hundreds of posts over many months. It just became a bit more focused in last week or so.

Good stuff all round tho.

1 hour ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

Further to what Scott says above I had a chat with the SLO last night.

First off I'd like to say that I found him to be a thoroughly decent bloke who's heart is definitely in the right place, we've absolutely no concerns over his commitment to the role or his support of our club. I won't go into too many details, as it wouldn't be fair to the man but I know that he regularly goes above and beyond what would be reasonably expected from a SLO and from a football fan. I think we maybe need to cut him a wee bit of slack. I got the impression that he was genuinely upset at some of the criticism that's been aimed in his direction. After speaking to him I was buoyed by what he had to say and encouraged that we have people like him supporting our club. I'm not going to fawn over him too much as there's still work to be done but last night's chat definitely showed me that we have the right man for the SLO role.

I like and trust many opinions on here but that endorsement from @Reverend Lovejoy is all I need to hear 

53 minutes ago, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

To be fair Scott… this result of hundreds of posts over many months. It just became a bit more focused in last week or so.

Good stuff all round tho.

Agree. The point I was making though was that JB only started getting the questions late Sunday afternoon and by Thursday, he has collated them, arranged a meeting with JN, asked those questions and has answers. The value of this exercise will only be known once people receive their replies but it shows what can be done in a short time and fair play to Burkie for taking on the challenge and running with it. Only time will tell if this is a false dawn or a step in the right direction. It’s a start and something that we must not let go of and build on. Our supporters and fans groups want to be and deserve to be better informed and closer to the Club than they have been in recent years.  
Let’s wait and see if anything positive comes of it.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained. 

The problem with John being wary of using forums is that half of the role is outreach (as set out in the 2021 UEFA SLO handbook an SLO "should possess a thorough insight in to the various supporter and spectator groups and their concerns" with the need to "master the various communication channels, in particular social media".

Great that he'll take questions you send to him, but if he's unwilling to be more visible to supporters (other than being in one stand on match days) then he's failing at his job.  And I know that Johns a great guy, but perhaps the roles just not really designed for him.

UEFA SLO Handbook

6 minutes ago, Deestruction said:

The problem with John being wary of using forums is that half of the role is outreach (as set out in the 2021 UEFA SLO handbook an SLO "should possess a thorough insight in to the various supporter and spectator groups and their concerns" with the need to "master the various communication channels, in particular social media".

Great that he'll take questions you send to him, but if he's unwilling to be more visible to supporters (other than being in one stand on match days) then he's failing at his job.  And I know that Johns a great guy, but perhaps the roles just not really designed for him.

UEFA SLO Handbook

Well spotted Buddy  !!! There  is also a SD handbook too but surely this is a start and something to build on. I’m not picking holes in the above but just for clarity I didn’t send him the questions I simply posted his e mail address on here and MAD, groups and individuals sent their own in. Again, as with the point BCG made I agree but if we can make this sort of progress in a week then surely it shows what can be done in time. 

3 minutes ago, scottg said:

Well spotted Buddy  !!! There  is also a SD handbook too but surely this is a start and something to build on. I’m not picking holes in the above but just for clarity I didn’t send him the questions I simply posted his e mail address on here and MAD, groups and individuals sent their own in. Again, as with the point BCG made I agree but if we can make this sort of progress in a week then surely it shows what can be done in time. 

Agree and understand mate - should also add, this is often a paid part-time position within clubs which are resourced sufficiently in the office departments, so it's not a dig at him at all.  Progress to be made.

Adblock Detected