Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Gordon Strachan's influence over Lyall Cameron

'Dundee didn't want me back' - Lyall Cameron on Gordon Strachan influence and deciding to start a degree.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/dundee-didnt-want-me-back-lyall-cameron-on-gordon-strachan-influence-and-deciding-to-start-a-degree-4611608

“I was just not getting a game at Peterhead,” he said. “And that is not easy as a young player from Dundee. I was travelling up to Peterhead and I have always been quite confident in my ability and felt like I should have been playing and I wasn’t. I had a limbo period between the seasons – Dundee didn’t want me back and Peterhead didn’t want me.”

He did have a successful spell on loan at Montrose but there were ructions at his parent club, where James McPake – who handed Cameron his senior debut – was sacked in a bid to steer the club away from a quick return to the Championship. One of Cameron’s mentors was gone but fortunately Strachan remained. Gary Bowyer, perhaps encouraged by Strachan, began to put his faith in Cameron. “He (Strachan) is the one that has always believed in me and pushed for me to get games at Dundee so him being at Dundee and being a big figure there has been really important. I might not have been here without him to be honest.

Who the hell was making decisions at Dens? Everyone and their dog could see that there was a footballer in Lyall Cameron. The first time I saw the lad play for us I knew he was going to go on to bigger and better things. He is a football with a brain and pass to match.

At first I thought it was Gordon Strachan and his silly notion that small players in Scotland do not make it, glad to see Cameron putting the story correct, that it was infact Strachan that had his back.

I hope that I am wrong, but we might not see Cameron in Dark Blue come next season and he will be away to a bigger club.

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
50 minutes ago, TheDarkBlues said:

'Dundee didn't want me back' - Lyall Cameron on Gordon Strachan influence and deciding to start a degree.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/dundee-didnt-want-me-back-lyall-cameron-on-gordon-strachan-influence-and-deciding-to-start-a-degree-4611608

“I was just not getting a game at Peterhead,” he said. “And that is not easy as a young player from Dundee. I was travelling up to Peterhead and I have always been quite confident in my ability and felt like I should have been playing and I wasn’t. I had a limbo period between the seasons – Dundee didn’t want me back and Peterhead didn’t want me.”

He did have a successful spell on loan at Montrose but there were ructions at his parent club, where James McPake – who handed Cameron his senior debut – was sacked in a bid to steer the club away from a quick return to the Championship. One of Cameron’s mentors was gone but fortunately Strachan remained. Gary Bowyer, perhaps encouraged by Strachan, began to put his faith in Cameron. “He (Strachan) is the one that has always believed in me and pushed for me to get games at Dundee so him being at Dundee and being a big figure there has been really important. I might not have been here without him to be honest.

Who the hell was making decisions at Dens? Everyone and their dog could see that there was a footballer in Lyall Cameron. The first time I saw the lad play for us I knew he was going to go on to bigger and better things. He is a football with a brain and pass to match.

At first I thought it was Gordon Strachan and his silly notion that small players in Scotland do not make it, glad to see Cameron putting the story correct, that it was infact Strachan that had his back.

I hope that I am wrong, but we might not see Cameron in Dark Blue come next season and he will be away to a bigger club.

KInd of sums up where we were going under McPake.

I think it's easy to look back in hindsight and blame this guy or that guy but at the end of the day it's up to the individual. Cameron has, thankfully, made the grade here and that's testament to his hard work and determination to succeed, without that he'd have struggled but that would've been nobody's fault but his own. I think it's unfair that there's always got to be a bad guy when things don't go well for a player, there will be times when that can be the case but if you've got the talent then you've gotta go out and prove it which Cameron undoubtedly has. You can coach and encourage a player until you're blue in the face but at the end of the day it's really down to the player.

1 hour ago, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

McPake did throw him under a bus at Dunfermline 

Oh yeah! Totally forgot about that. Credit to Cameron to get to where he is now in a relatively short space of time. 

I remember the first time I saw Cameron play in a pre-season friendly at Brechin. It must have been in 2019, as it was the summer that Gordon Strachan had joined the club and his grandson had signed as a youth. When I saw a wee red haired lad come on who could play, I presumed it was him. You could see that day he was a player, he seemed to find space in wee pockets behind the front line and link up play nicely. I think he may have scored that day also. 

I’m glad he persevered after his difficult time at Peterhead, but heard that he did well on loan at Montrose. I had a reservation at the start of the season that the physical side of the Premiership may catch up with him, but he has shown his quality as the season has progressed. 

I have never understood a lot of fans criticism of Gordon Strachan's role at the club .

it has always been pretty obvious to me that it can only ever be a very good thing for DFC .

To have someone of his standing and credibility  in the game is an unbelievable bonus that we as club have and listening to Tony Doc talk about him at the Q&A event during the week it is very obvious how important he has been and continues to be behind the scenes at dens .

Great to hear Lyall tell this story because what could have been if not for wee Gordon  

Adblock Detected