Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Alex Stuart

Densparker

Just read a post from his daughter on the Next-door website. I have copied this in.

My dad has Alzheimers dementia, this is us taking him out for a cuppa from the care home he is at. He is 81 and doesn't understand why he is in care. His name is Alex Stuart, he was a professional footballer for Dundee football club Dundee United Football Club manager of Montrose Football Club , Ayr United Football Club and St Johnstone FC . he was then manager and director of Leisure and Culture Dundee at Dundee City Council where he built sports centres, revamped the original olympia, opened the ice rink and brought the marathon to Dundee, organised twinning events with Wurzburg and much more, roping mum and I into allsorts of things in the process. 💕🙏 These are all the memories he cherishes as his short-term memory has practically gone. I'm raising money for Alzheimers Scotland taking part in the Great North Run, please help me raise money for this amazing cause. The support is invaluable for carers and patients. or if anyone has memories I can share with him it would be very much appreciated.

https://lnkd.in/djgGvgu3

as.jpg

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
39 minutes ago, Densparker said:

Just read a post from his daughter on the Next-door website. I have copied this in.

My dad has Alzheimers dementia, this is us taking him out for a cuppa from the care home he is at. He is 81 and doesn't understand why he is in care. His name is Alex Stuart, he was a professional footballer for Dundee football club Dundee United Football Club manager of Montrose Football Club , Ayr United Football Club and St Johnstone FC . he was then manager and director of Leisure and Culture Dundee at Dundee City Council where he built sports centres, revamped the original olympia, opened the ice rink and brought the marathon to Dundee, organised twinning events with Wurzburg and much more, roping mum and I into allsorts of things in the process. 💕🙏 These are all the memories he cherishes as his short-term memory has practically gone. I'm raising money for Alzheimers Scotland taking part in the Great North Run, please help me raise money for this amazing cause. The support is invaluable for carers and patients. or if anyone has memories I can share with him it would be very much appreciated.

https://lnkd.in/djgGvgu3

as.jpg

There was an article done yesterday yesterday regarding another prominent Dee and his struggles with both alzheimers and vascular dementia. I think it'll appear in this week's Sunday Post. 

I was lucky enough to see him play for Dundee, I think he played in the Milan semi at Dens, although I was more interested in the seagulls than the game  at that early stage of my life. Also saw him later on and all of us Dees in ST Marys used to love and try and reproduce the 'bleeshers' that he used to score. Very best wishes to the Stuart family.

1 hour ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

There was an article done yesterday yesterday regarding another prominent Dee and his struggles with both alzheimers and vascular dementia. I think it'll appear in this week's Sunday Post. 

Very sad hearing news regarding Alex Stuart, as well as the prominent Dee you refer to Rev there is another former Dee from the same era suffering with this horrible disease in a nursing home, I wont mention who he is until I get the say so from his family.

19 hours ago, wildebeest said:

Very sad hearing news regarding Alex Stuart, as well as the prominent Dee you refer to Rev there is another former Dee from the same era suffering with this horrible disease in a nursing home, I wont mention who he is until I get the say so from his family.

Article now appearing in today's courier.

Really sad to hear this news of yet anther legend .

Not so long ago whilst having a coffee in the Ferry I overheard Alex Stuart discussing a match that was played the night before featuring Messi's Barcelona.

He said to the man he was speaking to that as good as that  Barcelona side  were at the time he didn't rate them better than the Dee's league winning side of the 60s .  

One of the best goals I have ever seen was scored by Alex Stuart in January 1968 in an incredible 6 - 5 win over Kilmarnock at Dens. Alex was well known for his thunderbolt shots but he excelled himself that day. I cant remember the order of the goals but have it in my mind that he scored the winner and what a shot. The distance of shots scored are often exaggerated, apart from the extreme long distance lobs or chip shots, with many supposed 30/35 yarders being nearer 20/25 yards but Alex's goal that day must have been a true 35 yarder plus but not chipped or lobbed just smashed in at great speed. I remember him as a steady replacement eventually for Bobby Cox playing for the club for c. 9 seasons or so and of course was one of the remarkably few players to play in and win a medal for the League winning season. Strangely he seemed to play one game for United after leaving Dens, something I dont remember. 

I would like to add to the best wishes already expressed and wish him well (and of course Gordon Wallace too) in his/their fight against this horrendous disease that took my own father, a great Dee supporter his whole life.

I would like to add my own fond memories and respect for Alex.Stuart who I think played in  our European Cup Semi at Dens against AC Milan and both home and away matches in our Fairs Cities Cup semi against Don Revies Leeds United.I did not know he had got a League Championship medal but delighted to hear that he did.

After his career I sometimes used to see him in Shore Terrace when he was with the Parks Department and he always nodded although we did not know each other.Wish I had plucked up the courage to speak to him.

And Gordon Wallace too so i see.A great player who I did have the pleasure of meeting when he was manager .Always totally open and honest and of course scorer of the goal which won our last Trophy .A great goalscorer and master of chesting a through ball down and and laying the ball off to either wing.A skill you dont see nowadays.

Best wishes and respect to Gordon and his family.

13 hours ago, troodee1893 said:

One of the best goals I have ever seen was scored by Alex Stuart in January 1968 in an incredible 6 - 5 win over Kilmarnock at Dens. Alex was well known for his thunderbolt shots but he excelled himself that day. I cant remember the order of the goals but have it in my mind that he scored the winner and what a shot. The distance of shots scored are often exaggerated, apart from the extreme long distance lobs or chip shots, with many supposed 30/35 yarders being nearer 20/25 yards but Alex's goal that day must have been a true 35 yarder plus but not chipped or lobbed just smashed in at great speed. I remember him as a steady replacement eventually for Bobby Cox playing for the club for c. 9 seasons or so and of course was one of the remarkably few players to play in and win a medal for the League winning season. Strangely he seemed to play one game for United after leaving Dens, something I dont remember. 

I would like to add to the best wishes already expressed and wish him well (and of course Gordon Wallace too) in his/their fight against this horrendous disease that took my own father, a great Dee supporter his whole life.

I was at that game as well and I would estimate his goal was 35 yards out. A thunderbolt of a shot.

First time I seen Alex play was in an away cup tie v Forres Mechanics in early 64 (season we reached Final) he scored from a thunderous shot which couldn't have been that far short of half-way line that had the whole crowd in awe (6-3 for the Dee) he went on to establish himself in that great side and I consider myself very fortunate and privileged to have witnessed the displays from Alex and his fellow Dundee Greats.

Best wishes to Alex and his family and condolence's to Bobby Waddell's family on the sad news. 

Adblock Detected