The Dark Blues

Tricky DFC Quiz

Rate this topic

1. What year did Dundee Football Club come into being?

2. Why was Dundonian Fred McDiarmid awarded a medal?

3. Why did the Scottish League Cup final in 1973 kick off at 1.30pm?

4. Ivano Bonetti got the Dundee job after telling Peter Marr at the interview that he could sign Caniggia. Which player did Jocky tell Peter was his No.1 target at his interview to keep his job? (Clue the player actually did join Dundee several years later).

5. Who placed a £5,900 ad in the Sunday Times, and why?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hopefully, they'll be black and blue and propping up the Premier League by 5 pm tomorrow.

I was pulling my hair out when folk were saying "Get rid of Jim Mac. We can do better". Sorry, no, for the job he does, no we will not do better. 

We were in bad shape on and off the park. We had our worst season ever finishing on just 4 points. Partick though were relegated even though they finished above us. I can only imagine the reactio

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Cobra said:

4. Ivano Bonetti got the Dundee job after telling Peter Marr at the interview that he could sign Caniggia. Which player did Jocky tell Peter was his No.1 target at his interview to keep his job? (Clue the player actually did join Dundee several years later).

Jocky was interviewed for his own job? I'll guess he wanted to sign Bobby Mann.

Just now, harry94 said:

Jocky was interviewed for his own job? I'll guess he wanted to sign Bobby Mann.

I think so. It's a story from a respected writer in a published DFC book.

Mann is a good guess but no. You're in the right area of the park.

7 minutes ago, Cobra said:

I think so. It's a story from a respected writer in a published DFC book.

Mann is a good guess but no. You're in the right area of the park.

1, 1893

2. Dunno without cheatin

3. power cuts so no floodlights, miners strike.

4. Steven Boyack or Brian Irvine?

5. loads of people and companies but maybe Ketsbaia?

8 minutes ago, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

1, 1893

2. Dunno without cheatin

3. power cuts so no floodlights, miners strike.

4. Steven Boyack or Brian Irvine?

5. loads of people and companies but maybe Ketsbaia?

1. No!

2. Very hard this one so I'll give a clue... He was first Dundee player to do something. Very unique and memorable.

3. Well done! 

4. No

5. No

38 minutes ago, Cobra said:

I'm guessing the ad in the Sunday Times was for Board members and we got Melville. Was it Dave McKinnon ????

Just now, chomp my root said:

I'm guessing the ad in the Sunday Times was for Board members and we got Melville. Was it Dave McKinnon ????

I'll give you that one Chomp. Well done. Brannan put in the ad and that's how Melville came on board.

• Like 1

Story of Fred is on the official website. cheated by using Google so can't claim the answer.

7 minutes ago, BCram said:

Story of Fred is on the official website. cheated by using Google so can't claim the answer.

I didn't realise that was on the official. 

BCram has found the answer to this one, so I'll reveal it.

A spot of agricultural land between Provost Road and Dens Road was leased in favour of Gussie Park, and a new stadium was built for DFC.  Local lad Fred McDiarmid was the first player to find the net at the new ground, and he was awarded a medal to mark his memorable moment in dark blue. 

• Like 1

Don't think anyone will get No.1 as it's not been very well documented so I'll give the answer to that one.

Dundee Football and Athletic Club were founded in 1893 but ran into severe financial difficulties just a few years later and the club was liquidated.

The fans fought to save their team and the Scottish League bent over backwards to help their northern-most club. As a result Dundee Football Club came into being in 1898 and were allowed to be considered the same team.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Cobra said:

Don't think anyone will get No.1 as it's not been very well documented so I'll give the answer to that one.

Dundee Football and Athletic Club were founded in 1893 but ran into severe financial difficulties just a few years later and the club was liquidated.

The fans fought to save their team and the Scottish League bent over backwards to help their northern-most club. As a result Dundee Football Club came into being in 1898 and were allowed to be considered the same team.

20th of December 1898 to be precise!  The rules were bent to help (oldco) Rangers win the league........somethings never change!!!!

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, kemback1997 said:

20th of December 1898 to be precise!  The rules were bent to help (oldco) Rangers win the league........somethings never change!!!!

We were in bad shape on and off the park. We had our worst season ever finishing on just 4 points. Partick though were relegated even though they finished above us.

I can only imagine the reaction of the Jags when they got that telegram. "WTF?"

Must have been awful living in Victorian times when Scottish football made it up as they went along and favoured whoever they thought were the most important teams of the time.

• Funny 3
1 hour ago, Cobra said:

We were in bad shape on and off the park. We had our worst season ever finishing on just 4 points. Partick though were relegated even though they finished above us.

I can only imagine the reaction of the Jags when they got that telegram. "WTF?"

Must have been awful living in Victorian times when Scottish football made it up as they went along and favoured whoever they thought were the most important teams of the time.

LOL - dodgy votes nothing new in Scottish football either..........at least we were popular back in those days!

1898 re-election.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Part II.

6. Who was released by Dundee because he "wasn't good enough" but later scored more than 100 goals for the club.

7. Who said: "The whole place died the day they sacked Jocky Scott and we just never recovered from that."

8. Who was then-chairman Ian Gellatly talking to when he said: "You should be running the youths as you're incapable of handling the senior players!"

9. What game was Peter Caproni talking about in Diary of a Dee when he said "Half-time. 5-0. No wonder Dens rose as one to cheer the team off at the break."

10. Dundee broke the British attendance record when they played a game in London. Who were the opposition that day?