The Dark Blues

Supermarket Shelves

Rate this topic

In the Highlands no fruit and veg, no bread, no eggs and of course no toilet roll. Otherwise ok.

What's it like where you are?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Going around Sainsburys the other day, I also noticed the near empty beer shelves along with no cereals,  no crisps and surprisingly, very little toothpaste.  These panic buyers might have a shyte die

The people who are posting photos on Facebook of empty shelves are as bad as those emptying the shelves imo, all they're doing is fuelling the hysteria. It must be difficult for people with all the un

A shop in Dundee is selling bog roll labelled £1.99 for £5. People are saying they'll buy it if they're in desperate need but will boycott the shop once this is over.

7 hours ago, Cobra said:

In the Highlands no fruit and veg, no bread, no eggs and of course no toilet roll. Otherwise ok.

What's it like where you are?

If I listened to my wife and her facebook reports I'd believe we had been transported to post war Soviet Union but when I visit the stores everything was available except alcohol wash.  We are lucky here (in a sense) that most are living hand-to-mouth and day-to-day so panic buying isn't really a thing.

Nipped out for some bits and bobs yesterday and my biggest shock was no vitamin T on the shelves of my local Tesco Metro. 😱 Plenty other gaps but as we run with a healthy surplus of stuff we use it didn't affect us too much. For us its getting in plenty fresh fruit and veg and stuff for my mum. We're doing a shop for the out-laws which will be interesting, she's already said that she only uses Lurpak butter... there could be a 'rebriefing' going on. 😒

Might nip out today to 'panic buy' some more booze, I'll see what's on the shelves.

• Funny 1

Just after posting my wife told me we are now in lockdown.  This means we can go out for essentials such as food, but one family member only!  It will be interesting to compare our respective shops when she goes compared to when i go.  

(Who am I kidding - there ain't no way I'm volunteering for the shopping duties - there  is a small home store literally 10m  from my house and that's where I buy my beer!) 

• Funny 1

Aldi have put a limit of 4 items each max per customer. Wife was in today. Lady in front of her had 5 loose bananas. Under the rules she could only have 4 but she said there were 5 in her family. Pre packed bananas had 6 in a bag but she was of the opinion that others may have had a greater need and was insistent that she would only buy what she needed and nothing more. There was a stand off before she reluctantly agreed to put one banana back. INCREDIBLY she could've followed the stores rules and bought 4 X 6 packs of bananas, or 24, but she couldn't buy 5.

• Funny 1

Seems to be a bit different from store to store. They all seem to be doing 9-10 for the elderly & others in need of support, which is good to see.

Last Friday, the only empty bits of Tesco Extra on Kingsway were hand-gel, toilet roll, pasta & rice. Curiously, every shelf of the sauces & stuff you'd likely have with pasta or rice were full to the edges. Made me wonder what stock-pilers might be doing with all this dry pasta? 

This morning, though, the same store was around 90% cleared of cleaning stuff, cereal, tea & coffee, soups & sauces, tatties & veg (loads of bananas though ;0), as well as aforementioned things. Likely the schools closing & working from home might have triggered a rush, people have an extra meal each day to produce now. 

It's unclear if deliveries really are still 'as before', or if they're decreasing.....read the labels & an awful lot of our food comes from EU countries who are 'closing borders' (theoretically except supply trucks/flights). Someone in the food supply industry did say recently, if the French stop sending out food, we'll find out just how reliant we are on the EU.

I can 'understand' families stocking up to 14 days meals, given the 'self-isolating' rule.....so you'd think that once they are all stocked, demand would return to 'normal', ie just 'topping up' for what's been used that week. I wonder if that will happen, though. 

I've been told this situation isn't happening in (eg) France, Spain & other places.....is there some sort of 'British' hoarding mentality? No idea.

• Like 1

Supermarket shelves here are pretty empty of everything. My mum wants me to get her shopping, she's 85 be lucky if I can get her even the basics. Son was born Tesco yesterday & a woman picked up 5 of the 7 packs mince left & her husband said you would be as well to take the other 2, which she did.

The world has gone mad.

If you need dry Pasta Ann Summers has plenty........as long as you don't mind the fact they look like wee rockets........

• Funny 1

Who are all these selfish b*****ds hoarding Britain's food and supplies? There is no problem with the supply chain so there should be plenty for everyone.

It's particularly ridiculous that there is no fresh fruit and veg. If you buy too much fruit and veg you're going to have to throw a lot of it in the bin.

• Like 1

Canny find pasta, tinned tomatoes, toilet roll, hand sanitizer, or chicken in any of the 4 main supermarkets in arbroath right now. None nada. Had to tour the “wee shops” and found one had plenty of toilet roll and pasta, albeit at twice the price 🙄

There are some right selfish b*****ds out there I tell ya. 

Apparently curry’s have sold out all their chest freezers 🙈

On 19/03/2020 at 07:39, chomp my root said:

Nipped out for some bits and bobs yesterday and my biggest shock was no vitamin T on the shelves of my local Tesco Metro. 😱 Plenty other gaps but as we run with a healthy surplus of stuff we use it didn't affect us too much. For us its getting in plenty fresh fruit and veg and stuff for my mum. We're doing a shop for the out-laws which will be interesting, she's already said that she only uses Lurpak butter... there could be a 'rebriefing' going on. 😒

Might nip out today to 'panic buy' some more booze, I'll see what's on the shelves.

Going around Sainsburys the other day, I also noticed the near empty beer shelves along with no cereals,  no crisps and surprisingly, very little toothpaste.  These panic buyers might have a shyte diet but their gnashers will be sparkling white.

We don't need to do any panic buying btw as the missus has always has around a years supply of food between the larder, various fridges, chest freezer etc.  Over the years its something I've continually had a go at her about, and she now just looks smug and occasionally giving me the 'V'. Always has a supply of around a dozen tins of chopped tomatoes in the cupboard.  What a woman.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2
5 hours ago, Cobra said:

Who are all these selfish b*****ds hoarding Britain's food and supplies? There is no problem with the supply chain so there should be plenty for everyone.

The people who are posting photos on Facebook of empty shelves are as bad as those emptying the shelves imo, all they're doing is fuelling the hysteria. It must be difficult for people with all the uncertainty around the virus knowing exactly how much they might need to stock up. For plenty of people too much will be better than not enough.

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

The people who are posting photos on Facebook of empty shelves are as bad as those emptying the shelves imo, all they're doing is fuelling the hysteria. It must be difficult for people with all the uncertainty around the virus knowing exactly how much they might need to stock up. For plenty of people too much will be better than not enough.

Fair point. The pictures of empty shelves are feeding the panic which leads to the bulk buying which in turn leads to more empty shelves.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Cobra said:

Fair point. The pictures of empty shelves are feeding the panic which leads to the bulk buying which in turn leads to more empty shelves.

I was in Home Bargains on Wednesday morning and I felt like a bit of a misfit as I was the only person walking around without a multipack of big roll under my arm. My parents are in their 70's, I phoned earlier to see if they needed anything handed in. It turns out they've got 2 freezer's full of food. Looks like I'll be relying on them in times of need rather than the other way about.

8 minutes ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

I was in Home Bargains on Wednesday morning and I felt like a bit of a misfit as I was the only person walking around without a multipack of big roll under my arm. My parents are in their 70's, I phoned earlier to see if they needed anything handed in. It turns out they've got 2 freezer's full of food. Looks like I'll be relying on them in times of need rather than the other way about.

Older people panicking and stocking up is understandable. What I really hate to see is people seeing an opportunity to buy up vast quantities of essentials to sell for an obscene profit on the black market. It seems to be happening a lot in the US. One guy was arrested today selling loo roll for $60 a roll.