Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Robbie Neilson

6 minutes ago, Edin_Dee said:

Neilson wouldn’t have been my choice for us but I’d have taken over some of the other options. 

The big difference between Utd and Dundee is that Utd are rotten to the core at the moment. All their off field problems will make it difficult for any manager to go in there and do well. 

I know everything off field gets ripped to pieces at Dundee too just now but that is only because we have an incompetent manager. In my opinion all the tools are there for a decent manager to turn Dundee into a good side. We have a very competative budget, new stadium/training centre on the way and a board that is not trigger happy with sacking managers. For a new manager coming in that’s a good enviroment to work in

Great post ED. Think NM will be given a bit more time by DFC board. The crucial part is that we have to stay in touch with the rest of the league. Our problems seem to be based on the manager and whether or not he can fix them. The fact that they seem to be of his own making doesn't help but I'd be surprised if he is shown the door any time soon, and equally surprised if the appointment of a new manager would produce any sort of lift to the team.

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
6 minutes ago, BCram said:

Great post ED. Think NM will be given a bit more time by DFC board. The crucial part is that we have to stay in touch with the rest of the league. Our problems seem to be based on the manager and whether or not he can fix them. The fact that they seem to be of his own making doesn't help but I'd be surprised if he is shown the door any time soon, and equally surprised if the appointment of a new manager would produce any sort of lift to the team.

Can i ask what it would take for NM to be shown the door, seeing statistically he is the worst manager in our history.

1 hour ago, barkblue said:

I'm not disagreeing with you mate. However Haber scored at this level and at least El Bak took a shot. Something this current squad seems to be frightened to do.

McCann has made something along the lines of 27 signings (not included youths) in half the time and taken the squad to the same lows, if not lower than Hartley. 

The pattern has been set and the BOD are to blame. As I said in an early blog piece for here, 'budgeting for top six' seems to have meant just letting the manager (whoever he may be) sign as many players as he likes.

My arithmetic is bad but................. 71 signings in less than 5 years!  This means that  around 50 players, including some of the current Squad, have been signed but not deemed good enough.     In any other business... etc. etc.  

1 minute ago, cookie said:

My arithmetic is bad but................. 71 signings in less than 5 years!  This means that  around 50 players, including some of the current Squad, have been signed but not deemed good enough.     In any other business... etc. etc.  

That's some turnover of staff. As you say in any other business.......

20 minutes ago, Mr Sensible said:

Can i ask what it would take for NM to be shown the door, seeing statistically he is the worst manager in our history.

Sensible question Mr Sensible. I've come to the conclusion that a loss to one of the lower teams who we expect to battling it out for 10th place might be enough to trigger a rethink but it will depend on what that does to the points difference between us and the 11th team and the manner of the defeat. If you think back to the Hamilton game last season when the second goal went in, I think there was a collective sigh and PH's subsequent statement that he didn't know what to do was the reason for his dismissal.

I think only a similar situation would force JN to take the decision to replace NM. Remember we are nowhere near the same stage of the season, there are still a lot of games to go and we are still within a few points of 10th place. There have been a few posters on here who think that there is enough quality in the team to produce better results and I don't see a scenario where a new manager is given a budget to try to improve the team at the January window.

As long as we have no losses against the bottom 6 teams and some wins I'd expect us to creep up the table and that would keep NM in place.

I know it's a depressing view of the future for this season, but I'd be more worried if we appoint a new manager now and unsettle the team that has only recently been assembled by NM. 

19 minutes ago, WeighorstsWang said:

Far too lightweight in midfield and their strikers look pretty sh*t.

Genuinely had to read your post three times before I clicked you were talking about the fun and not us as I forgot which thread I was reading.

No idea why this thread hasn't been moved to general football and sport as I said yesterday.

On 9 October 2018 at 15:22, Derekgow said:

Agree with most of that Woody, I suppose it depends on our definition of failure, is Neilson,s failure, not as bad as McCann,s failure? Or Hartley,s even. My point is, Neilson is a failed manager, just like McCann, where do we draw the line when appointing one failed manager for another? Difficult choices, which is why I prefer to leave these decisions to the owners. 

Lots of people in football management say getting the sack is good experience for a manager.

4 minutes ago, Spiritof62 said:

Lots of people in football management say getting the sack is good experience for a manager.

A sacking can mean a manager loses his aura among fans, players and clubs. Just look at Hartley. Nearly poached by Cardiff but his reputation has gone through the floor since Dundee sold Stewart and Hemmings. Then there's Butcher. Did a fantastic job at ICT but his experience at Hibs means he'll probably never get offered a job at a decent-sized club again. JD proved with Bonetti's players what a fine coach he is but is tainted by being sacked by Dundee and Hibs so is never in the running for the job at clubs like St Mirren.

Adblock Detected